how bad is it for laptop to play games on it at 90+ temp both CPU GPU

i dont face problems in performance but i am afraid it might get damaged.

definitely not ideal, esp gpu

what gpu is it? to even allow 90c?

most gpu i know limits itself around 83-85c before throttlin severely

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

8 minutes ago, Mj_ said:

Have you thought about getting a cooling pad? 

Its GTX960m and I7 6700Hq , basically Dell Xps 15 (9550)

Just now, PapaTDaddy said:

i am thinking about repasting it since its on 5 years old factory thermal paste.

Just now, PapaTDaddy said:

Just now, Mj_ said:

i am thinking about repasting it since its on 5 years old factory thermal paste.

I would look into buying a cooling pad off of amazon. Something that can blow air into the bottom of the laptop while you're playing games. I would also try to blow it out with a can of air as best as you can. Take off any overclock if you have one on. 

On 3/23/2021 at 8:46 AM, Mj_ said:

Do the vents have access to fresh air? For me, I put my computer on top of a Guinness World Records book to give the fans air. Maybe worth a try.

23 minutes ago, JohnDeereBro said:

Do the vents have access to fresh air? For me, I put my computer on top of a Guinness World Records book to give the fans air. Maybe worth a try.

bro its not above 90 i was wrong its 89 to 90 but peaks to above 90 for a second but now that i have disbaled turbo its 84 85, also the laptop is getting fresh air but the paste is from 2015 as far as i know.The guy i bought it from in 2019 was using it for only office work that idk from how long.

Well, it's not ideal but it's okay. It might degrade over time but given that it's 5 years old now, it will probably be obsolete before it's actually giving up. Laptop components are designed for their higher operating temps and they do have protection measures built in before they will suffer damage.

A repaste is a very good idea. Even new laptops will often benefit from this. Higher temps and some throttling is to be expected though with an XPS - it is not intended for gaming use, it's aiming for professionals that do need some power at times but also want a small-ish and light-ish ultrabook form factor.

I repasted my XPS 2019 model after 4-ish months shaving off ~10K alone and I undervolt it with throttlestop (quite a hassle with the BIOS versions). I don't have a problem with it running well in the 80s for prolonged usage.

Use the quote function when answering! Mark people directly if you want an answer from them!

On 3/23/2021 at 6:50 PM, narrdarr said:

I'd put some fresh paste on before I'd get a fan.

Me too. But then I'd get a laptop cooler ASAP, it makes such a huge difference.  (10-15C for me)

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

On 3/24/2021 at 3:41 PM, Mj_ said:

bro its not above 90 i was wrong its 89 to 90 but peaks to above 90 for a second but now that i have disbaled turbo its 84 85, also the laptop is getting fresh air but the paste is from 2015 as far as i know.The guy i bought it from in 2019 was using it for only office work that idk from how long.

Ok, just a suggestion. Don't worry. 🙂

On 3/25/2021 at 5:31 AM, bowrilla said:

Well, it's not ideal but it's okay. It might degrade over time but given that it's 5 years old now, it will probably be obsolete before it's actually giving up. Laptop components are designed for their higher operating temps and they do have protection measures built in before they will suffer damage.

A repaste is a very good idea. Even new laptops will often benefit from this. Higher temps and some throttling is to be expected though with an XPS - it is not intended for gaming use, it's aiming for professionals that do need some power at times but also want a small-ish and light-ish ultrabook form factor.

I repasted my XPS 2019 model after 4-ish months shaving off ~10K alone and I undervolt it with throttlestop (quite a hassle with the BIOS versions). I don't have a problem with it running well in the 80s for prolonged usage.

But its better to even repaste it with Arctic MX4 rather than using it with stock paste right? Its gonna arrive today , i couldnt cancel the order , it was too late but it had 5 stars review and people used it with laptops and PS4s they were all really happy.

I learned about Noctua NT-H2 but it was late then, i also knew about Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut but the seller said Mx4 and grizzly are almost the same.

3 minutes ago, Mj_ said:

But its better to even repaste it with Arctic MX4 rather than using it with stock paste right? Its gonna arrive today , i couldnt cancel the order , it was too late but it had 5 stars review and people used it with laptops and PS4s they were all really happy.

I learned about Noctua NT-H2 but it was late then, i also knew about Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut but the seller said Mx4 and grizzly are almost the same.

Thermal paste varies so little that on a daily basis it doesn't really matter. Since you will remove the stock paste anyways (that's why you're repasting and once you take off the cooler after a while you will need to use fresh paste after removing the new one) any stuff from a half reputable brand is fine. At the top end, the difference is between 0 and 2K - which is basically within margin of error. Some pastes are easier to apply than others, some stay sort of fluid for longer periods of time than others, but their performance is very very similar.

Use the quote function when answering! Mark people directly if you want an answer from them!