Vram chip replacement

Askejm

Also, after setting the res to 800x600 all artifacts disappear 

I made an account just to comment on this post. Why are people on forums so negative? try that repair. Seems super interesting and I'm curious. I have an old 780 ti that, i believe, has a bad vram chip. So if you're able to figure it out, it would be cool to know how you did it. Good Luck :)

3 minutes ago, OceanManTm said:

Why are people on forums so negative?

As someone who used to be an outsider coming in, yes, it looks negative.

Some people are just brutally honest, meaning it comes off as rude.

elephants

so you think it broke from static how did you come to this conclusion? 

have you tried to put the card in a different computer and see if it works? what about a different slot in your computer?

6 hours ago, airborne spoon said:

so you think it broke from static how did you come to this conclusion? 

have you tried to put the card in a different computer and see if it works? what about a different slot in your computer?

i was trying to watercool it (wasnt using static protection) and vram wasnt running hot or anything

yes i did try it in another computer, it does the same. i am currently running on my 1050 ti (which works fine) 

• 3 months later...
On 3/24/2021 at 12:33 PM, FakeKGB said:

As someone who used to be an outsider coming in, yes, it looks negative.

Some people are just brutally honest, meaning it comes off as rude.

I do really think that you are over estimating the tools, i did the same repair, broken module, RX470, just needed a hot air station, a template and some solder paste + flux. It's been doing great since.

• 2 months later...

It is possible no bga system bewees only a hot airgun. 

There certainly are shops that can do this kind of work, and for less money than a new card. It is DIFFICULT and should not be attempted by even a "soldering expert" who does not have BGA experience (if the thought of BGA work concerns someone, they're not experienced enough) There is a guy on the internet who posts as northridgefix. I have seen many "impossible" repairs in his videos... and I've seen some inconclusive or unsuccessful stuff too, but at least he's honest. You'll just have to do some searching or long distance mailing depending on where you are in the country. 

I've even searched for someone willing to put faster memory modules on a card once, but in the end... it wasn't broken, so why risk it? But you're in a different situation... it's broke, so why not try?

• 11 months later...