Just about ready to give up, pc is freezing while gaming

Bradish06

I’ve had my pc for about 2 years now. Everything was working fine until about 6 months ago when csgo started freezing.

Since then all my games freeze and when it freezes I can’t alt tab or do anything and have to shut down my pc. I’ve taken it to microcenter and they found no issues. I also took it to a local repair shop and they found no issues as well and just turned xmp off.

I’m seriously considering just building a new pc at this point. It is so frustrating and I don’t know what to do.

I have tried updating my windows and all of my drivers. The weirdest thing is it doesn’t always happen sometimes I can game just fine but sometimes it will freeze and be unplayable. If you guys know of any solutions please let me know.

Specs: Ryzen 5 2600 Asrock b450 mitx

2 Samsung 850 Evo 256gb and 1tb

Rx 580 8gb

16gb 2666mhz ram

650 watt 80+ bronze psu

Have you tried doing a clean install?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

27 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Have you tried doing a clean install?

Yes I have done that twice

You can try some things. 

Not sure they will work, may help, may not cure.

Find setting

Cpu Load Line calibration. Set it to second highest setting. 

Go to Dram timings menu and look for Power Down mode and disable it.  (If running XMP)

Be sure to:

Check the SPD tab in bios. Compare the timings in the timings menu.

Set the timings that are incorrect manually.

Be sure to manually set the memory voltage.

If it's 1.2v, it is safe to run 1.25 or even 1.3v 

Check:

Cpu SOC voltage.

If on auto, it's 1.08v, that is fine. 

You can manually set it to be sure it doesn't change.

Good luck!

58 minutes ago, Bradish06 said:

Ryzen 5 2600

I had to RMA a 2600 that was doing weird shit like that.  Hanging, freezing up, having to hard reset a couple times a day.  and I tried all of the BIOS voodoo I could think of to fix it, reinstalled windows, stuck the CPU in another board, tried different ram.  I believe you get a 3 year warranty.  I honestly do not think they even looked at my CPU, I had it delivered to them one day, and they were shipping out a replacement the next. 

The thing that did seem to help was turning off automatic voltage and setting it manually and some other stuff, basically crap I should not have to do to "fix" a problem.

48 minutes ago, Bradish06 said:

Yes I have done that twice

Like a proper full reinstall, not a reset or anything like that right?

Unplugging all drives except the OS drive?

Deleting all the partitions on it?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just now, Enderman said:

Like a proper full reinstall, not a reset or anything like that right?

Unplugging all drives except the OS drive?

Deleting all the partitions on it?

Oh, What I did what shift restart and then do a reinstall and keep nothing.

2 minutes ago, Bradish06 said:

Oh, What I did what shift restart and then do a reinstall and keep nothing.

That's not a clean install.

A clean install is when you put windows on a USB drive and delete the partitions during the installation.

https://www.howtogeek.com/224342/how-to-clean-install-windows-10/

Spoiler

This might not apply but my PC started doing a similar thing but it would just freeze as long as you were booted into something other than the BIOS or if you had more than 1 core enabled (i5-6600k). Fix ended up being raising core voltage on the CPU (Not by much but either 1.315v or 1.420v (1.420V was stable on a previous overclock). Pretty sure I killed something when I tried a delid but who cares because it fixed it. 

Breaking things 1 day at a time

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

That's not a clean install.

A clean install is when you put windows on a USB drive and delete the partitions during the installation.

https://www.howtogeek.com/224342/how-to-clean-install-windows-10/

I mean if hes resetting windows without keeping files id give it like 75% credit

Breaking things 1 day at a time

Just now, TubsAlwaysWins said:

I mean if hes resetting windows without keeping files id give it like 75% credit

Yeah no.

I've seen plenty of people do windows 'resets' and all it does is make issues worse.

It is absolutely not the same as a clean install.

Spoiler