JDS Labs C5D Amp DAC

jonnyyyl

I was recently introduced to the JDS Labs C5D Amp DAC.

The driver installation was smooth without issues. Music listening experiences with WMP or foobar2000 is great. Audio/Video listening and viewing through youtube is no trouble at all.

However, when playing video with VLC player, the audio suddenly gets choppy. There are certain periods of about 2-4 seconds where the audio is "lost". However, if I drag the video back to that same time frame again, the audio comes out perfect fine. This issue seems to be persistent only with VLC.

The same video file was opened previously when the speakers are hooked onto a 3.5mm jack, and had no problems at all. So it is not an issue of file corruption.

Is there a solution to this? Or is there a particular setting I need to adjust to?

Thanks in advance.

does vlc skip with audio files or only video files?

Just the audio.

This is likely video files and not your DAC; certain codecs don't play well with certain media players. Try the same video file with Media Player Classic, and I bet you'll get an improved experienced.

I like music and headphones.

I think what he means is have you tried playing a song in vlc without video. 

Ah right. Played mp3, m4a and FLAC, don't notice any issues. Seems like the issue is exclusive to video files.

This is likely video files and not your

DAC; certain codecs don't play well with certain media players. Try the same video file with Media Player Classic, and I bet you'll get an improved experienced.

I'll give that a go.

I didn't know MPC is still around. I loved it to bits. I haven't used it in a while.

How does it compare to vlc these days?

Ah right. Played mp3, m4a and FLAC, don't notice any issues. Seems like the issue is exclusive to video files.

I'll give that a go.

I didn't know MPC is still around. I loved it to bits. I haven't used it in a while.

How does it compare to vlc these days?

I like it way more than vlc. I had MPC for forever and never updated it and it was having problems with some files but once I updated everything was fine. 

I like it way more than vlc. I had MPC for forever and never updated it and it was having problems with some files but once I updated everything was fine. 

Fantastic. Back to MPC it is.

I loved MPC, up until there were some problems when I switched to W7. I had both MPC and VLC installed, and this caused quality in both MPC and VLC to suffer, it stutters every few seconds. After removing MPC and sticking to VLC, everything was fine. I moved to VLC also because of flac and m4a support. VLC is great in terms of versatility, but I am always nostalgic about MPC.

Now that I use foobar2000 for all music, I don't have a reason to stick to VLC :D :D :D

Fantastic. Back to MPC it is.

I loved MPC, up until there were some problems when I switched to W7. I had both MPC and VLC installed, and this caused quality in both MPC and VLC to suffer, it stutters every few seconds. After removing MPC and sticking to VLC, everything was fine. I moved to VLC also because of flac and m4a support. VLC is great in terms of versatility, but I am always nostalgic about MPC.

Now that I use foobar2000 for all music, I don't have a reason to stick to VLC :D :D :D

The new MPC has support for FLACS and m4a as well

its the vlc player. Whenever I play a video on vlc and i drag it forward to watever moment, it lost the 1-2 second audio as if it was muted while the video itself was not affected.

• 2 weeks later...

I think what he means is have you tried playing a song in vlc without video. 

So after some exteneded use, I think the choppy audio issue extends to videos in general. Like youtube's flash, vimeo, VLC. It happened with audio once or twice with foobar2000.

you wouldn't happen to be running McAffee Antivirus by chance?

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."

you wouldn't happen to be running McAffee Antivirus by chance?

Malwarebytes premium and bitdefender pro only.

Malwarebytes premium and bitdefender pro only.

k, nvm then.  I've just noticed on many occasions that certain programs can get really clingy to audio programs and cause them to run out of buffer and skip constantly.

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."