Rtx 3080 fan curve question

Bluuz

So I've heard having your gpu fans constantly turn off and on is not good for the longevity of the fans.

So I set up a curve that looks like this. my gpu idles in the 30s, so it should never fall below the room ambient of 20C.

note that afterburner won't allow me to set the fan speed between 1 and 29%.

image.png.9149a44fc9d156133ab13106fe260313.png

The fan RPM is consistantly around 33%, which is good,

however the fan tachometer has a zigzag like pattern. Is this an issue, and if so, how can I prevent this?

image.png.7b517275356f3e2edc1de12e12b9cd23.png

It looks like something's broken, and the fan is spinning back down to 0 before starting again. Check to see if there's a physical obstruction.

CPU: Ryzen 2600 GPU: RX 6800 RAM: ddr4 3000Mhz 4x8GB  MOBO: MSI B450-A PRO Display: 4k120hz with freesync premium.

I've never had a fan die. Btw, the noise at the highest levels of fan speed are not worth it.

You'd do a better job at keeping a stable fan by running it in steps:

image.png.43c75c5755377509525154430334d1eb.png

To find the steps, find the fan speed required to keep your card in your desired temperature range at max power consumption.

Don't think your curve should look this aggressive. Mine does because it's a blower.

Again I wouldn't worry about fan death. Even if it dies, you can run it on 1 fan or with a system fan blowing on it at a lower TDP. You might lose 40% of performance at 80% less power consumption or something but you'll survive. You can always play eless demanding games or at potato res. I have a fanless system with a pentium and am intel stock heatsink. I disconnected the fans and it runs fine 24/7 temps are like 70C under heavy load. So no fan is not the end of the world.

CPU: Ryzen 2600 GPU: RX 6800 RAM: ddr4 3000Mhz 4x8GB  MOBO: MSI B450-A PRO Display: 4k120hz with freesync premium.

2 hours ago, Bluuz said:

So I've heard having your gpu fans constantly turn off and on is not good for the longevity of the fans.

I don't agree with this

GPU fans should not be turning on and off frequently enough to cause any longevity issue - for most modern GPU's they only turn on when the gpu is under a significant load and otherwise just slow down and stop when not needed. If anything this reduces running hours and could prolong the life 

i7-8700k @ 4.8Ghz | EVGA CLC 280mm | Aorus Z370 Gaming 5 | 16GB G-Skill DDR4-3000 C15 | EVGA RTX 2080 | Corsair RM650x | NZXT S340 Elite | Zowie XL2730 

5 hours ago, AntiTrust said:

GPU fans should not be turning on and off frequently enough to cause any longevity issue - for most modern GPU's they only turn on when the gpu is under a significant load and otherwise just slow down and stop when not needed. If anything this reduces running hours and could prolong the life 

Let's say the fans should turn on at 30 degrees C. Ambient is around 20 degrees C.

Anything higher than 30 degrees C, the fans will cool the gpu under 30 degrees, the fans then turn off. But since the gpu is generating heat, eventually it heats up to over 30 degrees and the cycle repeats.

Also, I should note that the fans ARE spinning (at the reported 30% RPM) the entire time, it's just the tachometer reading that has me confused.