Steve @ Gamers Nexus - benefits of "preventative maintenance" - proof - Asus 980Ti Strix - temperature drop of 10 Celsius.

mark_cameron

I today did a much needed - Fan C replacement and/or reapplication of thermal compound (NOCTURA NT-H2)

Fan C's bearing was going and was making the well documented "squealing" or buzzing. (Resorted to taping it for the past 7 days) whilst the replacement fans were on order and shipping.

(approximately 7 days)

https://www.gpufanreplacement.com/products/asus-gtx-1060-1070-1080-ti-gtx980ti-graphics-card-cooler-fan-replacement?variant=8271430746207

My temperatures this morning under load: +86/87 Celsius

Needed to strip the card down (not PCB from backplate), just take off shroud and the individual fans.

Thermal compound clean (it had gone hard) and replacement.

Post fan, A,B,C replacement and reassembly.

My temperatures under load now: +76 Celsius.

US$50.00 well spent on the fans and/or the replacement thermal compound.

Well pleased.

Prevent e-waste and get more life out of cards. Plus make your rig as quiet as it can be.

Preventative maintenance is your friend!

Worth watching videos like this and doing.

Adsl79w7.jpg

YoGUuDCP.jpg

My Rig "Valiant"  Intel® Core™ i7-5930 @3.5GHz ; Asus X99 DELUXE 3.1 ; Corsair H110i ; Corsair Dominator Platinium 64GB 3200MHz CL16 DDR4 ; 2 x 6GB ASUS NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980 Ti Strix ; Corsair Obsidian Series 900D ; Samsung 950 Pro NVME + Samsung 850 Pro SATA + HDD Western Digital Black - 2TB ; Corsair AX1500i Professional 80 PLUS Titanium ; x3 Samsung S27D850T 27-Inch WQHD Monitor

I did the same thing with my RTX 2080. According to the DOM, it was in 2018, and I got the card in 2019 open boxed at Micro Center. After heavy gaming sessions last summer, I've noticed temperatures started to increase even with dusting the graphics card off. Temperatures in game were around 60-70oC, with the latter in 3D Mark benchmark runs. I did the repasted 2 weeks ago and I noticed the thermal paste was thick. Used NT-H1 and cleaned the cooler out completely and put it back together. Temps are around 50-58oC (again 58 at most in benchmarks). I'm really glad I repasted the card. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

3 hours ago, SpiderMan said:

I did the same thing with my RTX 2080. According to the DOM, it was in 2018, and I got the card in 2019 open boxed at Micro Center. After heavy gaming sessions last summer, I've noticed temperatures started to increase even with dusting the graphics card off. Temperatures in game were around 60-70oC, with the latter in 3D Mark benchmark runs. I did the repasted 2 weeks ago and I noticed the thermal paste was thick. Used NT-H1 and cleaned the cooler out completely and put it back together. Temps are around 50-58oC (again 58 at most in benchmarks). I'm really glad I repasted the card. 

The whole rig is running much quieter too.

I'm delighted with the outcome here.

It just shows that GPUs are like cars, they need to be maintained to keep the performance up.

Changing the thermal compound is like doing an oil change.

My Rig "Valiant"  Intel® Core™ i7-5930 @3.5GHz ; Asus X99 DELUXE 3.1 ; Corsair H110i ; Corsair Dominator Platinium 64GB 3200MHz CL16 DDR4 ; 2 x 6GB ASUS NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980 Ti Strix ; Corsair Obsidian Series 900D ; Samsung 950 Pro NVME + Samsung 850 Pro SATA + HDD Western Digital Black - 2TB ; Corsair AX1500i Professional 80 PLUS Titanium ; x3 Samsung S27D850T 27-Inch WQHD Monitor

17 hours ago, mark_cameron said:

The whole rig is running much quieter too.

I'm delighted with the outcome here.

It just shows that GPUs are like cars, they need to be maintained to keep the performance up.

Changing the thermal compound is like doing an oil change.

You're EXACTLY right on that. I say this; If you take care of your things, they will take care of you. 

Maintaining anything, whether it be a car or a graphics card (or even your whole rig), will keep working for you as you use it. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34"