5900x & Motherboard Firmware Compatibility

TripH

Budget (including currency): $10K (USD)

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Content Creation, Office Productivity, Occasional Gaming

Background Information

With a great deal of help from forum members, I’ve settled on a basic config:

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/MgYgmk

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 3.7 GHz 12-Core Processor  ($750.00) 
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12A 60.09 CFM CPU Cooler  ($99.90 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 UNIFY ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($329.99 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory 
Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($379.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($379.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Samsung 860 Pro 4 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 24 GB FTW3 ULTRA GAMING Video Card  ($1800.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Meshify 2 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($141.98 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic PRIME PX 850 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($351.90 @ Amazon) 
Monitor: BenQ SW271 27.0" 3840x2160 60 Hz Monitor  ($1099.00 @ Adorama) 
Monitor: Samsung Odyssey G9 49.0" 5120x1440 240 Hz Monitor  ($1399.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $8211.73
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-03-13 08:34 EST-0500

Notes on config: I’ve hard-coded the prices for the CPU and GPU. I may go with a 5950x because it seems easier to get – but I really don’t need the extra cores... Same for memory and PSU – I’ll get someone's 3600/CL16 and at least 850w, but it may all come down to availability – So, the config is not set in stone – more of a guideline for shopping. Same for GPU -- I'll get someone's 3090...

Notes on MOBO: Based on forum member recommendation and support for 3x M.2 drives.

A link to the discussion on how we landed on this config: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1311168-high-productivity-video-editing-adobe-centric-photovideoaudio-occasional-gaming

Now For The Topic/Question

Forgive my ignorance, but PC Picker has a warning on potential MOBO/CPU firmware compatibility.

In my case, I don’t have access to another AMD CPU to perform a firmware upgrade prior to installing the 5900x/5950x, and there are no local shops to burn a new firmware for me...

I’ve seen references to MOBOS that can update firmware even with incompatible CPUs (not sure exactly how that would be accomplished – I’ve got an Intel background). I’ve also seen references to MOBOS ‘marked’ that they have been ‘updated’ to accept R9 out of the box... Since I’d be purchasing NewEgg, Amazon, etc – not sure that would apply.

Again, forgive the ignorance... Where does this config stand? And if I can’t get the thing to boot due to BIOS compatibility, what are my options?

Thanks in advance.

h

56 minutes ago, TripH said:

Budget (including currency): $10K (USD)

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Content Creation, Office Productivity, Occasional Gaming

With a great deal of help from forum members, I’ve settled on a basic config:

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/MgYgmk

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 3.7 GHz 12-Core Processor  ($750.00) 
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12A 60.09 CFM CPU Cooler  ($99.90 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 UNIFY ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($329.99 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory 
Storage: Samsung 860 Pro 4 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 24 GB FTW3 ULTRA GAMING Video Card  ($1800.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Meshify 2 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($141.98 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic PRIME PX 850 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($351.90 @ Amazon) 
Monitor: Samsung Odyssey G9 49.0" 5120x1440 240 Hz Monitor  ($1399.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $8211.73
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-03-13 08:34 EST-0500

Notes on config: I’ve hard-coded the prices for the CPU and GPU. I may go with a 5950x because it seems easier to get – but I really don’t need the extra cores... Same for memory and PSU – I’ll get someone's 3600/CL16 and at least 850w, but it may all come down to availability – So, the config is not set in stone – more of a guideline for shopping. Same for GPU -- I'll get someone's 3090...

Notes on MOBO: Based on forum member recommendation and support for 3x M.2 drives.

A link to the discussion on how we landed on this config: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1311168-high-productivity-video-editing-adobe-centric-photovideoaudio-occasional-gaming

Forgive my ignorance, but PC Picker has a warning on potential MOBO/CPU firmware compatibility.

In my case, I don’t have access to another AMD CPU to perform a firmware upgrade prior to installing the 5900x/5950x, and there are no local shops to burn a new firmware for me...

I’ve seen references to MOBOS that can update firmware even with incompatible CPUs (not sure exactly how that would be accomplished – I’ve got an Intel background). I’ve also seen references to MOBOS ‘marked’ that they have been ‘updated’ to accept R9 out of the box... Since I’d be purchasing NewEgg, Amazon, etc – not sure that would apply.

Again, forgive the ignorance... Where does this config stand? And if I can’t get the thing to boot due to BIOS compatibility, what are my options?

Thanks in advance.

h

When you are already at 8k you are basically almost pushing threadripper territory, get a 5950x. Even if it makes your system 5% faster, it's worth it. Also, if you are paying $100 for air cooling, get an nhd-15. Do not get a $350 850w psu, $200 is usually where I would recommend for a very premium build. Instead of getting 3 2 terabyte drives, consider getting one 8tb drive: https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-Rocket-Internal-Performance-SB-RKTQ-8TB/dp/B08957PT2K/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=sabrent+rocket+8tb&qid=1615644132&sr=8-1

And I wouldn't worry about bios compatibility, as you can update the bios for 5th gen without a cpu in the socket.

Edit: If you want to get a power supply, either go 1200w, or spend less. I would get 1200w

21 minutes ago, TripH said:

Page 57 of the motherboard user manual details the procedure for updating the bios without cpu installed.

To summarize: download the bios from msi support, rename and place on a fat32 usb drive, connect main and ATX power on motherboard to psu, plug in and  turn on psu (switch on back of psu), insert USB stick in flash bios usb port, press flash bios button, wait.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

16 minutes ago, curiousmind34 said:

When you are already at 8k you are basically almost pushing threadripper territory, get a 5950x. Even if it makes your system 5% faster, it's worth it. Also, if you are paying $100 for air cooling, get an nhd-15. Do not get a $350 850w psu, $200 is usually where I would recommend for a very premium build. Instead of getting 3 2 terabyte drives, consider getting one 8tb drive: https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-Rocket-Internal-Performance-SB-RKTQ-8TB/dp/B08957PT2K/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=sabrent+rocket+8tb&qid=1615644132&sr=8-1

And I wouldn't worry about bios compatibility, as you can update the bios for 5th gen without a cpu in the socket.

I agree for the most part. Except that I'd suggest saving a bit on CPU Cooling and just getting a Scythe Fuma 2. Also, I completely agree for the PSU and would suggest an HX1200i instead. Why? Because 3090 still suffers from those random Power Consumption spikes that often cause crashes and stuff. So yeah, that's the 2nd change I'd make. Third would certainly be the case (though, it's preference), which is where I'll definitely suggest the Phanteks P500A D-RGB. It's a sick case, with loads of room and it looks lovely.

about that incompatibility warning... well, it's because only some mobos come with the pre-updated BIOS (if any). Considering that the recent mobos support BIOS flashing without having the CPU even plugged in, I'd suggest you not to even worry about it. All you'll need is stable power and a good ol' USB Flash drive. Cheers!

I will be building a R 7 5800X computer computer tomorrow and I will have to update the bios. I am not liking it but it is an AMD thing.

I would go with more PSU. My computers that will be getting 3090s have 1000 and 1300 watt PSUs since even my EVGA FTW3 Ultra 2080 ti did not like 850 watts but my EVGA XC 2080 ti(uses 35 watts less) was fine with one. 

I also suggest a 1tb PCIe 4 drive and the rest 2.5 SATAs. That is what I am doing with the computer I an building tomorrow. I have fast drives like a 2tb 970 EVE and nothing I have uses the speed.  I would do some tests with your apps first to see if it is worth it.

My build tomorrow will get a 1tb Corsair MP600(PCIe 4) and the rest 2tb Crucial MX500

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

Thanks to all for the feedback.

==>To summarize: download the bios from msi support, rename and place on a fat32 usb drive, connect main and ATX power on motherboard to psu, plug in and  turn on psu (switch on back of psu), insert USB stick in flash bios usb port, press flash bios button, wait.

Right after hitting 'enter' on the post and thinking about it, I sort of had the idea that the BIOS might be able to natively read a USB stick... So, thanks for confirming that. I'll download the manual to see if there is anything else that catches my eye...

==>I am not liking it but it is an AMD thing.

My experience has always been Intel, so this area is a bit new to me...

==>Because 3090 still suffers from those random Power Consumption spikes that often cause crashes and stuff.

I did upgrade to a 1K PSU  in my Amazon cart because the 850w wasn't in-stock. At this point, stocking is my biggest problem. I put the config in my cart, only to discover that a component or two is out of stock. I come back the next day, and a different component is out of stock... I'm hesitant to purchase in phases in case something is defective and I miss a 30-day return window.  I'm glad that I don't need a new system 'right now', or the stocking situation would drive me crazy...

==>I also suggest a 1tb PCIe 4 drive and the rest 2.5 SATAs. That is what I am doing with the computer I an building tomorrow. I have fast drives like a 2tb 970 EVE and nothing I have uses the speed.  I would do some tests with your apps first to see if it is worth it.

My current build is a mix of 860 PRO and 870 PRO SSDs from 1 to 4 Tb... I'm looking to migrate the system and cache volumes to M.2 for the potential load times and access to scratch and content cache. But, I'm trying to move the heavy hitters from SATA to PCIe 4.x to improve the response times --- this is my biggest complaint and the reason for the build. I'm not sure which will be on the CPU and which on the chipset, I'll have to experiment a bit.

==>When you are already at 8k you are basically almost pushing threadripper territory, get a 5950x. Even if it makes your system 5% faster, it's worth it.

Right now, an 5950x is in my cart simply because there seems to be zero inventory on the 5900x. I'm not sure that I'll ever need the extra cores during the lifespan of the build, but may go with the 5950x just for availability -- this is certainly a crazy world we live in...

==>Instead of getting 3 2 terabyte drives, consider getting one 8tb drive

I didn't know something like this existed. I've been using Samsung PRO drives for so long, that I don't even bother to look else ware. That's certainly something to look at -- the key to me will be integrating a set of drives/volumes into my backup/recovery strategy... I like to keep my system volumes fairly small -- say 1Tb and keep a separate volume for scratch/working datasets for quick access. Let me noodle on a bit... Thanks for getting me to look beyond Samsung for drives...

==>Also, if you are paying $100 for air cooling, get an nhd-15. 

I have zero experience with air cooling. My first build (some 12-15 years ago) was liquid cooled and I've built that way ever since. But, I was more into overclocking and air cooling has come a long way. This is the first time I'm looking at a build with something other than a custom loop... I'll certainly look into the differences between the U12A that's in my current config and the D15. Thanks. Originally, I was looking at an AIO, but since I'm not intending to overclock this setup, it was recommended that I look more closely at an air tower solution. Of course, it's all got to fit in the case and not get in the way of the memory sticks or GPU... I'd really like to have a local PC center to mix/match all this stuff, but I'm afraid that it's going to be a bit hit-or-miss affair with Amazon, NewEgg, etc...

==>I'd suggest saving a bit on CPU Cooling and just getting a Scythe Fuma 2

As above, I'll look at it... No experience with air towers. I do mix audio, so I'm looking for a very quiet setup... It's one of the reasons I went liquid cooling in the first place. I understand things are much quieter in the air cooling world these days, so I'm going to take the plunge and hope for the best...

==>Phanteks P500A D-RGB

The non-RGB version was one of the cases on my original list, but out of stock at the time. I'm not going to see the case (hidden under a workstation), so I don't care much on one brand of case as another as long as it keeps the components cool. The only thing visible will be the front panel... So aesthetics really don't come into play. Again, if a component works as expected, I'll substitute brands for stocking. I'll substitute performance and build quality over looks every time...

Anyway, thank you all for the input. This has been excellent. All your help is appreciated... Now, if the stocking issues would resolves themselves, I'd be golden...

h