Best Application for CCTV

Hi guys,

Thanks for the help in advance.

I have 8 Yi Outdoor Cameras 1080p which have the Yi-Hack mod installed on them which allows the cameras to be used with other software that support Custom RTSP streams.

I have tried multiple programs. Shinobi, tinycam Pro, iSpy and others. But the issue that I am having is that I am either having a stable stream with low fps or high fps but the stream doesn't reconnect.

I was thinking of buying an NVR from Hikvision but I cannot find anywhere a guide on how to add Custom RTSP streams to it. The manual does make a mention of adding RTSP Stream from a camera but it needs to support username and password. 

I have a system converts HDMI to a TV Channel and the signal from any device (Windows PC, Android TV Box, NVR) will be output to that converter and then it can be watch from a specific channel in every TV in the house.

I was wondering if anyone has ever used an NVR from Hikvision with Custom RTSP Streams or if you guys have any software that you can recommend. 

Thanks in advance

what is your goal in terms of recording these streams, how many days of footage do you want to keep and do you need something like motion detection to trigger recordings or do you want to record at all times?

3 minutes ago, Pixel5 said:

what is your goal in terms of recording these streams, how many days of footage do you want to keep and do you need something like motion detection to trigger recordings or do you want to record at all times?

I don't want recording, I want a stable stream which when I access it there is not a camera offline. Though if recoding is there as a plus I don't mind.

if all you want is looking at the streams you can literally just open the streams in VLC and look at them in there, you can even create desktop shortcuts for each stream of create a playlist in VLC which all the streams in them.

If a camera appears offline it must be a camera problem and not a problem with the software you are using to view the cameras stream.

3 minutes ago, Pixel5 said:

if all you want is looking at the streams you can literally just open the streams in VLC and look at them in there, you can even create desktop shortcuts for each stream of create a playlist in VLC which all the streams in them.

If a camera appears offline it must be a camera problem and not a problem with the software you are using to view the cameras stream.

I prefer them to be all next to each other on a grid and it is not very easy with VLC I have had a look and it doesn't look that pretty. 

The offline issue I know its from the camera but the issue is that some applications retry to connect others don't. VLC for example doesn't retry. 

Most VMS systems do support RTSP streaming, usually it can just be a pain to get the url, parameters and authentication all correct and working.

Do you have the same issues with VLC ?

Is there multiple streams (main/sub etc.) or h264/mjpeg options for your RTSP stream, is the RTSP stream settings the same as configured on the camera ?

Given you have 8 cameras, the best free VMS is Milestone imo. Maybe setup a VM, clean install on a spare partition etc. and try it, see if you still have the same problem.

https://www.milestonesys.com/solutions/platform/video-management-software/xprotect-essential/