Where to usually find isopropyl alchohol 99.9% or like atleast 70%?

Go to solution Solved by Wh0_Am_1,
3 minutes ago, CasperLaGhost said:

I don't know where to find them.

Don't know about the percentage, but you can usually find it at most pharmacies and some gas stations.

On 7/30/2021 at 2:37 PM, JP! said:

"In particular, polycarbonate electronic components, typically in PCBs, seals and gaskets, are extremely harmed by exposure to an isopropyl alcohol cleaning solution"

Extremely harmed means fine?

Also, aren´t printed circuit boards made out of polycarbonate?

JP

Implying either that there are polycarbonate plastics in those things (there aren’t  that I know of but I don’t know much ) the only polycarbonate I know of is the clear plastic they sometimes carve watercooler parts out of.  Polycarbonates just means “lots of carbonates” though which could include things besides a particular kind of strong but brittle plastic. The thing about PCBS though is they’re fiberglass with layers of copper in between the layers neither of which include would not include any polycarbonate at all.  This whole thing seems to be based on “do they use polycarbonates in computer parts?” The answer people are giving seems to be “no, or at least not any that matter in this case”.

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

On 7/30/2021 at 3:37 PM, JP! said:

"In particular, polycarbonate electronic components, typically in PCBs, seals and gaskets, are extremely harmed by exposure to an isopropyl alcohol cleaning solution"

Extremely harmed means fine?

Also, aren´t printed circuit boards made out of polycarbonate?

JP

PC PCBs are not polycarb.  Full stop.

Seals and gaskets?  A normal motherboard doesn't have those either.

and as @Bombastinatorsaid:
http://www.madehow.com/Volume-2/Printed-Circuit-Board.html

They're not made of polycarb in general for PCs.

though doesn't matter that much what you do use to remove thermal paste, if you're carefull you can use a damp cloth, you'll touch the package/ihs

You can use Meths (methylated spirits), works just as good. or if you can find it, ethanol.