Where to usually find isopropyl alchohol 99.9% or like atleast 70%?

Go to solution Solved by Wh0_Am_1,
3 minutes ago, CasperLaGhost said:

I don't know where to find them.

Don't know about the percentage, but you can usually find it at most pharmacies and some gas stations.

3 minutes ago, CasperLaGhost said:

Don't know about the percentage, but you can usually find it at most pharmacies and some gas stations.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

Larger grocery stores near me carry them in the pharmacy, but your local drug store should have some too. It was sold out for a couple months because of COVID, but it should be back in stock pretty much everywhere at this point. 

Main PC:

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X • Noctua NH-D15 • MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk • 2x8GB G.skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16 • MSI VENTUS 3X GeForce RTX 3070 OC • Samsung 970 Evo 1TB • Samsung 860 Evo 1TB • Cosair iCUE 465X RGB • Corsair RMx 750W (White)

Peripherals/Other:

ASUS VG27AQ • G PRO K/DA • G502 Hero K/DA • G733 K/DA • G840 K/DA • Oculus Quest 2 • Nintendo Switch (Rev. 2)

Laptop (Dell XPS 13):

Intel Core i7-1195G7 • Intel Iris Xe Graphics • 16GB LPDDR4x 4267MHz • 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD • 13.4" OLED 3.5K InfinityEdge Display (3456x2160, 400nit, touch). 

Got any questions about my system or peripherals? Feel free to tag me (@bellabichon) and I'll be happy to give you my two cents. 

PSA: Posting a PCPartPicker list with no explanation isn't helpful for first-time builders :)

6 minutes ago, CasperLaGhost said:

99.9 is going to be rough.  Really pure alcohol can be dangerous. 70% is the breakpoint for effective against viruses so it got swept up by the covid thing.  There are a lot of “hand sanitizers” that are 70% alcohol though. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

For health purposes (kill bacterias and stuff like that), 70-80% is better, as it enters the fat cells of bacterias much easier and faster than higher percentage. 

For electronics, it's recommended to get at least 95% purity. 

99.9 is tough but not impossible, 99.7% is probably plenty.  A lot of companies don't bother advertising more than 99.5-99.7 because of the way the alcohol is sold ... if it's sold in plastic bottles, humidity is absorbed through the plastic over time and each time you open the bottle and therefore the purity goes down.

Due to covid and all the recent events, it may be harder to find high concentration, because it's used in all kinds of wet wipes and disinfectants. 

If you can't find it in pharmacies, try veterinarians and vet stores, isopropyl alcohol is used with animals especially horses, so you'll find 70% or better stuff there.

You may be able to find it at a hardware store, though it might be best to just get it online. There seems to be plentiful of 99% isopropyl alcohol at reasonable prices on Amazon where I live.

1 minute ago, Cvet76 said:

Isopropanol 99.9% used for nail polish removal (among others). If you're looking for cleaning electronics, this is what I have. Found it on amazon. It will, however, remove paint. Be careful.

NOT to be confused with ACETONE which is more common used for nail polish removal  ... acetone is another good solvent, but a bit more toxic (not a good idea to breathe in or smell the fumes for long periods of times)  and can damage some plastics and can remove paints (printed text on components) 

Isopropanol should not be strong enough to remove (most if not all) paints, you're probably thinking of acetone. 

Not sure where you are but a lot of pharmacies and even electronics stores have 99.9% isopropyl alcohol. If there's a Jaycar near you (if you're in Australia) then they'll almost certainly have it.

In my country you find them at the local supermarket.

17 minutes ago, Cvet76 said:

12€?!,That's very expensive.

I buy 98% for 1€ at my local supermarket.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

Depending on where you live, you might not find them easily.

If you're looking to clean thermal paste, then I found that alcohol swabs work well. Those are easier to find where I live. (local pharmacy)

In some stores, price may be higher because it includes increased shipping costs. 

The alcohol is considered flammable, so it may have to be shipped by train or truck/car instead of planes, and therefore it may cost more to ship compared to other items in the store, so they're hiding the increased shipping costs in the value of the product.

2 hours ago, NineEyeRon said:

70% is usually fine. I prefer the wipes.

Quite right.  If you just need some to remove thermal paste, 70% is just fine.  Clean the paste off and then use a micro-fiber cloth to dry the surface and you are good to go.

Workstation PC Specs: CPU - i7 8700K; MoBo - ASUS TUF Z390; RAM - 32GB Crucial; GPU - Gigabyte RTX 1660 Super; PSU - SeaSonic Focus GX 650; Storage - 500GB Samsung EVO, 3x2TB WD HDD;  Case - Fractal Designs R6; OS - Win10

19 minutes ago, Alan G said:

Quite right.  If you just need some to remove thermal paste, 70% is just fine.  Clean the paste off and then use a micro-fiber cloth to dry the surface and you are good to go.

I would avoid 70% because the other 30% can contain thickeners and it will not evaporate, leaving residue on components. 

Another source for alcohol is industrial supply stores and feed and farm stores.  

5 hours ago, Cvet76 said:

Isopropanol 99.9%

Pretty sure that's just the German name for isopropyl, it definitely does not remove paint... cleaned my cpus,  gpus, fan blades, motherboard etc ,I would know lol. 

20210311_152028.thumb.jpg.6bf98b06d4a2abdc40187ca31ebfbee7.jpg20210311_152037.thumb.jpg.9f8259702ee1fd457ad574cc361bc3d0.jpg

Even says 'isopropyl' on the back lol 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

7 minutes ago, SGT-AMD said:

You never stated what you are using it for.

i imagine to clean thermal paste off? 

https://www.lttstore.com/

1990 M3s are the best looking things ever made.    

^This statement has been retracted^
2020/2021 BMW S1000RRs/Ninja H2s are the best looking things ever made. 

Don't ask to ask. 
If you want me to see the reply, @XGoodGuyFitz(aka me) and/or quote me.
Thanks!

Just now, xXFitzXx said:

i imagine to clean thermal paste off? 

yes

Just now, SGT-AMD said:

Well, he hasn't said that, so we are assuming.

Screen Shot 2021-03-11 at 9.22.57 AM.png

https://www.lttstore.com/

1990 M3s are the best looking things ever made.    

^This statement has been retracted^
2020/2021 BMW S1000RRs/Ninja H2s are the best looking things ever made. 

Don't ask to ask. 
If you want me to see the reply, @XGoodGuyFitz(aka me) and/or quote me.
Thanks!

It depends on where you live, but you can find 70% at basically every pharmacy and supermarket. 90% or above is more uncommon but by no means impossible to find.

You really don't need extremely pure alcohol to clean thermal paste. The alcohol doesn't actually dissolve the thermal paste, it can't because the paste is usually made from extremely finely ground metal. The reason it's used is because it evaporates quickly and does not cause as much rust as plain water. It is also useful for removing oils (fingerprints) from metals so it will leave things nice and shiny.

1 hour ago, Heliian said:

I would avoid 70% because the other 30% can contain thickeners and it will not evaporate, leaving residue on components. 

Another source for alcohol is industrial supply stores and feed and farm stores.  

This is not true if you get properly specified USP 70% alcohol.  It can only contain isopropyl alcohol and water.

Workstation PC Specs: CPU - i7 8700K; MoBo - ASUS TUF Z390; RAM - 32GB Crucial; GPU - Gigabyte RTX 1660 Super; PSU - SeaSonic Focus GX 650; Storage - 500GB Samsung EVO, 3x2TB WD HDD;  Case - Fractal Designs R6; OS - Win10

14 minutes ago, Alan G said:

This is not true if you get properly specified USP 70% alcohol.  It can only contain isopropyl alcohol and water.

Yes for sure.  Nowadays there's so many bad products claiming to be pure that aren't, some arent even iso, that you need to be careful.

Strictly on electronics, I'd stay with 99%. For disinfecting surfaces then 70% is more effective.  

you can find it at Walmart or similar stores, also rite-aid, Walgreens, exc. 70% is like $2-3 and 90% is closer to $7 or so. I prefer the 90% because it dries faster than the 70% and it works better for other uses around the house.

This is what I use on electronics.... I use a lot of it daily.

ipa.jpg

Junk Yard Dog Build

I7 -10700K
MSI Z490 MPG Gaming Plus

Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32gb (4x8gb) DDR4 (3200 MHz)

Gigabyte RTX 2060 Gaming OC Pro

Corsair H115i Platinum AIO

EVGA 750 GQ

In a Cyberpower PC X-Titan case

The local shine still.

(WARNING: I EDIT MY POSTS ALL THE TIME. GRAMMAR IS HARD.)

"As I, a humble internet browser who frequents the forum of the well known internet tech YouTuber 'Linus Tech Tips', named after host Linus Sebastian, have trouble understanding the intent of the authors' post, I find solace in the fact, that I am indeed not alone in my confusion. While I stumble through the comments above, I am reminded of a quote which helps me to cut through ambiguous and unnecessary verbiage. The simple eloquence of the phrase often uttered on internet forums leaves any reading it in no doubt as to the true intent of the wording. I believe that I, and indeed all of us can take a lesson from the message left by it:"

(Formerly known as @EjectedCasings)

"Thanks bro, my inner grammarian just had a stroke."

-Yours truly, EjectedCasings

"It's stupid, but it works"

"AAAAAAHHH WHY AM I SPEEENING!"

Enthusiast web surfer, 'epic' gamer.

#muricaparrotgang