Editing of a server

Go to solution Solved by Electronics Wizardy,

If you don't have multiple editors, id keep the footage on the internat drive, simpler, and often faster.

You can pick where imove librays are locaced, but in a quick test, iMovie doesn't let them be stored on SMB shared. I know FCPX/Premiere/Resolve can though.

You guys know how the editors at LTT edit of their servers well I want to be able to do that (sorta). I have a Synology NAS and thereorecticaly I should be able to do this. What I mean by edit off a server is a minimum of having the video that I am editing be stored on the NAS while I am editing it. There no reason to bring the video onto my machine to edit it and then put it right back on the nas. I am using an old Macbook because it is all I have to edit and it only has a 250 gig hardrive. So I use imovie just because and it takes up 40 gigs of space on the machine from the imported video. (I tried to delete the video files that I did not need anymore but it seems they are still stored somewhere because the imovie does not take up any less space)If I could just edit off the nas and not have to bring it onto my machine this would save storage but it mainly it would just make my editing process easier. If I can't do this with imovie that will be ok because I plan to switch with Davinci when I build my pc. 

WARNING!! THE THINGS I SAY ARE BASED OFF EXPERIENCE AND MIGHT NOT BE TOTALLY ACCURATE!!

I believe the staff edit off the server just using Windows standard file sharing protocol SMB though you might find lower latency with iSCSI.

NFS (Linux/MacOS) should be possible but I haven't personally explored it. If iMovie doesn't let you edit over NFS/SMB I would expect it should let you edit via iSCSI.

Depending on the size of your projects though you could very quickly find that 1Gig networking isn't sufficient. So keep that in mind.

If you don't have multiple editors, id keep the footage on the internat drive, simpler, and often faster.

You can pick where imove librays are locaced, but in a quick test, iMovie doesn't let them be stored on SMB shared. I know FCPX/Premiere/Resolve can though.