Looking for the right VPN for me

I never looked much into VPN and they all look the same to me

What I'm looking for is something I can use on my computers and my phone, basically

Is it possible to configure my router so everyone on my network is using a VPN when they connect?? Or there are other ways to go about this

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Just now, Moonzy said:

I never looked much into VPN and they all look the same to me

What I'm looking for is something I can use on my computers and my phone, basically

Is it possible to configure my router so everyone on my network is using a VPN when they connect?? Or there are other ways to go about this

Depending on the router, yes. But the real question here is why do you think you need one?

With all of the YouTube adds, a lot of people feel like they need to get one, but honestly most people really don’t; especially not a full network VPN as that just slows all of your devices down as VPN’s add overheat and latency. 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

37 minutes ago, LIGISTX said:

But the real question here is why do you think you need one?

Censorship of my country is so bad that I can't even access the folding profile linked by my badge

I might setup a remote NAS soon for remote backup, so that's my secondary reason.

I heard you can connect to it like you would connect a local network NAS if you use a VPN or something (?)

I'm not doing anything latency sensitive so it might be okay

12 hours ago, Moonzy said:

Censorship of my country is so bad that I can't even access the folding profile linked by my badge

I might setup a remote NAS soon for remote backup, so that's my secondary reason.

I heard you can connect to it like you would connect a local network NAS if you use a VPN or something (?)

I'm not doing anything latency sensitive so it might be okay

Ah, well, thats a pretty good reason...

If you do get yourself a little server, you can VPN through that and depending on how you set it up, yes you could access the remote files as if they were local. But there is a lot involved in that from a routing perspective. Its totally possible, and many ways to go about it, one would be a site to site VPN, or just a open VPN server set up on the remote server and use a router (or build a pfsense router) at your house that would put everything on the VPN and would let you use everything as if it was on one network (things would be on different subnets, but the router would know what was were and route correctly).

There is a lot to this though, its not hard, but the setup takes a bit of thought.

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

12 minutes ago, LIGISTX said:

Ah, well, thats a pretty good reason...

If you do get yourself a little server, you can VPN through that and depending on how you set it up, yes you could access the remote files as if they were local. But there is a lot involved in that from a routing perspective. Its totally possible, and many ways to go about it, one would be a site to site VPN, or just a open VPN server set up on the remote server and use a router (or build a pfsense router) at your house that would put everything on the VPN and would let you use everything as if it was on one network (things would be on different subnets, but the router would know what was were and route correctly).

There is a lot to this though, its not hard, but the setup takes a bit of thought.

any idea what service would be great?

PIA? nord? etc etc

i need it on my phone as well

24 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

any idea what service would be great?

PIA? nord? etc etc

i need it on my phone as well

I don't. I don't use any of them so i don't know. But you can always roll your own like I said as well. 

20 minutes ago, LIGISTX said:

I don't. I don't use any of them so i don't know. But you can always roll your own like I said as well. 

I know literally 0 about these kinda stuff, thus the question

I don't expect myself to know how to set my own VPN up tbh @-@

and that probably doesn't help with censorship

1 hour ago, Moonzy said:

I know literally 0 about these kinda stuff, thus the question

I don't expect myself to know how to set my own VPN up tbh @-@

and that probably doesn't help with censorship

There are LOTS of youtube videos that show you how to get a cheap little server instance and how to set up your own VPN on it, this would work as your "offsite nas" as well. Also, it would work very well for censorship, honestly likely better than a normal VPN since it wouldn't be flagged as a "vpn providers IP".

just get a 100up or an ovh and set up open vpn or pritunl. there's hundreds of videos online with included firewalls and IPtables to load on. 

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6