How much bend and pressure can i put on a sata cable before its unsafe? Help..

Mahbub

So i have two ssds which i need to power inside my case.. now esrlier i thought of using one molex to two sata. Since i have one molex inside.  till i did some digging around n found out that molex to sata catches fire.. then i decided that i would rather have some more cable mess n add a sata power cable to psu..  but then i digged the internet to discover that sata power connectors r fragile putting too much tension can cause issue.. now the two ssds are a bit far apart on the psu shroud (h500) if i use one cable to power both rhen then connectors will have some tension.. what i can do is add even another cable and connect both ssds with two different sata power cables.. is that good to do? Or i should use just one and the tension on the canle is safe...

Not sure I understand your question here...

What do you mean by tension?

Do you mean how much you can bend the cable or how much pressure the connector can handle ? Once the SATA power connector in plugged in on a SSD, it shouldn't be moving from there... So tension shouldn't be an issue, be it on the cable or the connector.

If you mean "tension" as in electric tension(voltage)... Well it goes from Serial to Parallel. Voltage doesn't splits in parallels, current does, so both SATA connectors will get 5V while still providing plenty enough of current to power the SSDs.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

You can have a bunch of drives off of one sata power connector if you mean electrical tension.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

Just now, TetraSky said:

Not sure I understand your issue here...

What do you mean by tension?

You mean how much you can bend the cable or how much pressure the connector can handle ? Once the SATA power connector in plugged in on a SSD, it shouldn't be moving from there... So tension shouldn't be an issue, be it on the cable or the connector.

If you mean "tension" as in electrical tension(voltage)... Well it goes from Serial to Parallel. Voltage doesn't splits in parallels, current does, so both SATA connectors will get 5V while still getting plenty enough of current to power the SSDs.

I was talking about the bend and pressure..  someone on the internet commented that sata power connectors are fragile.. too much bend or pressure can cause pins to touch each other and short out.. is that true..  i can solve this by simply using two different sata cables my psu is 1000watt so has lot of plugs.. but i just watt cable mess to be less.

1 minute ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

You can have a bunch of drives off of one sata power connector if you mean electrical tension.

Nope i meant.. bend and pressure on the connectors

If a cable has no slack, the cable is too tight. It is as simple as that. The way a SATA connector is designed, it is a much lighter, less physically robust connector, and shouldn't be put under any tension. The answer is really to get cable extensions, or extra cables, so you have comfortable slack on them.

5 minutes ago, Mahbub said:

I was talking about the bend and pressure..  someone on the internet commented that sata power connectors are fragile.. too much bend or pressure can cause pins to touch each other and short out.. is that true..  i can solve this by simply using two different sata cables my psu is 1000watt so has lot of plugs.. but i just watt cable mess to be less.

Ah.

No. They are wrong.

While SATA is indeed more "fragile" compared to a big fat beefy Molex connector, it is in no way a fragile connector that you need to be extra careful around.

Even assuming the connector is bending a little, it will not cause pins to touch each others, that's literally impossible unless there's a manufacturing defect. It would also need to bend sideways, but usually it would be bending downward/upward. Impossible for this to happen.

It's fine to use a single cable if both drives are in close proximity.

But, if the cable is hyper extended and has no slack, barely reaching the other connector of the second SSD, do use another cable. Otherwise, doesn't matter.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

1 hour ago, Mahbub said:

So i have two ssds which i need to power inside my case.. now esrlier i thought of using one molex to two sata. Since i have one molex inside.  till i did some digging around n found out that molex to sata catches fire.. then i decided that i would rather have some more cable mess n add a sata power cable to psu..  but then i digged the internet to discover that sata power connectors r fragile putting too much tension can cause issue.. now the two ssds are a bit far apart on the psu shroud (h500) if i use one cable to power both rhen then connectors will have some tension.. what i can do is add even another cable and connect both ssds with two different sata power cables.. is that good to do? Or i should use just one and the tension on the canle is safe...

if it was electricity tension it wouldn't do anything, but physical tension is also not a problem eventhough i'll not recommend it, i got the same problem but i force it to be tensioned and it works fine untill now, now i don't suggest you to do that if : your sata connector is bad don't do it, it is also the same if your wire is thin and not flexible. if it have tension i suggest you to buy an extension

-> Moved to Power Supplies

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv