AMD Threadripper Pro now available to the DIY market

NumLock21

When AMD released their Threadripper processors there was actually 2 types, Threadripper and Threadripper Pro. Threadripper is what's available since launch, while Threadripper Pro was only available from OEMs, that means a entire system, as they cannot be bought by itself. Now you can as AMD have made them available for the DIY market.

AMD's Threadripper Pro processors represent the ultimate in threaded workstation horsepower, easily beating the standard consumer-geared Threadripper chips in workloads that prize memory throughput. 

The Threadripper Pro chips rock up to 64 cores, 128 threads, and support up to 2TB of memory spread out among eight memory channels, not to mention 128 lanes of PCIe 4.0 connectivity. That is a big upgrade over the four memory channels and 72 lanes of PCIe 4.0 connectivity on the standard consumer-geared Threadripper chips, like the Threadripper 3990X.

AMD Threadripper uses the WRX80 chipset. Asus, Gigabyte, and SuperMicro already have boards for it.

Price for Threadripper Pro starts at $1,149

spacer.png

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-announces-global-retail-availability-of-threadripper-pro

Links to boards

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards-Components/Motherboards/All-series/Pro-WS-WRX80E-SAGE-SE-WIFI/

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/WRX80-SU8-IPMI-rev-10#kf

https://www.supermicro.com/en/products/motherboard/M12SWA-TF

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Neat, the entry model is very good option.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

one of those cases where it will take at least 5 years before one even considers looking for those systems (when they have some miles and lower prices)

Very nice. This will come off as good news for enthusiasts who do not want any compromises in performance and power. But with the silicon shortage...

I edit my posts quite often, please refresh your browser if you can.

Specs :
CPU : AMD Ryzen 5 4600G
RAM : 16GB 3200MHZ CL16 RAM

GPU : ASRock Challenger RX 6600
Display : Acer KA242Y
Mainboard : GIGABYTE B450M DS3H WIFI
Storage : 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD
                240GB ADATA SU650NS38

So I can onl;y find the Asus MB actually for sale anywhere. Anyone have any idea when Gigabyte or Supermicro MBs will be available. I received my 3955wx today but no MB yet

• 2 weeks later...

March 17 and still the ASUS board is the only one available.

i wonder when will zen 3 threadripper arrive, from this launching only now, is it possible it will only arrive next year?

So what's the deal with the pros? Is it just positioned between Threadripper (vanilla) and Epyc?