LGA 1700 mounting holes

Tan3l6

Hi!

Are the upcoming Alder Lake CPU cooling mount holes compatible with previous LGA1200/1150/1155 mounting holes..

Searched a bit and most results tell that the LGA1700 cooler mounting mechanism holes are not compatible with 1200 etc.

So is there some definitive answer?

I edit my posts more often than not

2 minutes ago, Tan3l6 said:

Hi!

Are the upcoming Alder Lake CPU cooling mount holes compatible with previous LGA1200/1150/1155 mounting holes..

Searched a bit and most results tell that the LGA1700 cooler mounting mechanism holes are not compatible with 1200 etc.

So is there some definitive answer?

Alder lake is still unannounced and therefore, there are no boards to peek at for this information either. If you're planning to use your existing cooler, you might need to wait until your cooler manufacturer supplies a compatible bracket, should the mounting change.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

9 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

Alder lake is still unannounced and therefore, there are no boards to peek at for this information either. If you're planning to use your existing cooler, you might need to wait until your cooler manufacturer supplies a compatible bracket, should the mounting change.

I was just pondering if to buy a cooler for a potential LGA1700 build in advance.

Just have to wait then I guess.

3 hours ago, Tan3l6 said:

I was just pondering if to buy a cooler for a potential LGA1700 build in advance.

Just have to wait then I guess.

Why would you buy anything in advance? You don't even know if the stuff will be available at this point.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

36 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

You don't even know if the stuff will be available at this point.

I don't understand - what availability are you referring to?

Buying a cooler in advance is not too much of a gamble, as the cooler i'm after, does have mounting kit for most modern Intel and AMD sockets.

Not buying it, of course is not a bad choice, yeah. Come to think of it -  the socket height itself might differ...

10 minutes ago, Tan3l6 said:

I don't understand - what availability are you referring to?

Buying a cooler in advance is not too much of a gamble, as the cooler i'm after, does have mounting kit for most modern Intel and AMD sockets.

Not buying it, of course is not a bad choice, yeah. Come to think of it -  the socket height itself might differ...

The actual CPU availability, all things considered. I personally wouldn't buy any hardware which wouldn't go right into system now. The coolers will be available then too, and if the socket is different, there might be combos for mounting brackets, just like with AM4 launch. So buying now for no other reason that for future build is the thing I don't understand. Except if you are system integrator and expect some customer build coming right at the launch. But even then, if socket is different, you may be waiting for new brackets.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

17 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

The coolers will be available then too...

The cooler in question tends to fluctuate in price in very broad range, that's the only reason I was considering.

But yeah, considering prices of other components, the price range does not change so much. 30€ difference, versus 400€+ minimum on RTX 3k market, is minimal.