5600x vs 5800x

So I planned on building a pc mainly for gaming and streaming. I know 5600x is probably a better choice but I play a lot of arma and it really heavy on the cpu and ram. I'm going also be playing some cod, Breakpoint, and some other games. I was planning using a 3070 and 3600mhz ram.

Arma is a mess, at least it introduced a lot of other shooters.

5600x should be just fine, extra cores can be nice too with the 5800x.

A few issues to get ryzen to work, or there can be issues. Else it's a nice GPU.

The 5800 was panned when it came out mostly because of price.  The 5600, 5800,&5900 all have the same type of core, so it was a question on enough to run most things (the 5600) or as many as could be gotten (the 5900) the 5800 was a weird middle ground.  Because it wasn’t popular though there are more of them around than the others. The advantage I see in the 5800 over the 5600 is it’s 8/16 instead of 6/12.  This may at some point matter.  It’s not a very tangible thing though.  The 5600 is as fast as the 3700 which is 8/16

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

25 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

The 5600 is as fast as the 3700 which is 8/16

In gaming the 5600x is faster than the 10700k and is on or with the 10900k.

CPU heavy (non gaming multi core heavy), I believe the 5600x can trade punches with the 3800x.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

24 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

The 5800 was panned when it came out mostly because of price.  The 5600, 5800,&5900 all have the same type of core, so it was a question on enough to run most things (the 5600) or as many as could be gotten (the 5900) the 5800 was a weird middle ground.  Because it wasn’t popular though there are more of them around than the others. The advantage I see in the 5800 over the 5600 is it’s 8/16 instead of 6/12.  This may at some point matter.  It’s not a very tangible thing though.  The 5600 is as fast as the 3700 which is 8/16

Yeah, the 5800X is in a bad spot price wise.

I know that these prices are not accurate because of insane demand for the 5600X and 5900X, but if you look at MSRP it just doesn't make sense.

5600X - 6 cores - $299 - Not exactly entry level, but great CPU with strong cores and a good value.

5900X - 12 cores - $549 - Literally double the cores of the 5600X for less than double the price AND the cores have a higher clock. Great deal if you need the cores.

5800X - 8 cores - $449???? - Going by core count (since the cores are literally the same across all 3 CPUs) this CPU is 50 bucks more expensive than it should be when compared to the 5600X and is ~80 bucks too expensive when compared to the 5900X. Overall a poor value. If you are looking for 8 cores specifically for some reason, might as well wait for the Intel 11 series chips.

All that being said, I think the 5600X is more than fine for what you are doing.

I would get the 5800x if you are planning on streaming as well as you will most likely be playing games while running programs in the background and the 2 extra cores is definitely nice to have. Its pretty crap in terms of value though as the 5900x is a much better deal if you can find it in stock. Granted i am assuming you would be streaming with your gpu encoding as cpu encoding is very taxing with little benefits over using nvenc.