Foot pedal good to alleviate wrist pain?

Call-Me-Captain

Hi,

This past year I've had to use my mouse a LOT, making me sit in front of my PC basically 90% of my awake time. (It also didn't help that in the periods where I had more free time I spent it playing games and stuff, but anyway)

I'm only 22, but have been getting more and more pain underneath my wrist, most likely from all the clicking. This is kind of scary, so I'd like to change my setup a little bit to perhaps be a bit more ergonomic.

The options I'm thinking of so far:

1. Use mouse with wrist in the air: Possible, but not practically realistic, since I lose a ton of control, even when doing mundane things.

2. Sideways mouse / Trackball: I heard that they honestly weren't that good since they require quite some force to click

3. Foot pedal, binding left and rightclick to the pedals so I only have to move the mouse and not click

What would you guys suggest? Is there a solution that would both be ergonomically much better than using my current mouse, while still letting me do the things I've been doing so far, i.e. browsing and other multimedia, and gaming every now and then? I currently use a Razer Naga Hex, which I got a long long time ago when I was basically a kid. Perhaps it's just that this mouse in particular is super bad ergonomically speaking?

Thank you so much!

You might also need to relearn how to use the mouse. If you use your wrist for anything more than small adjustments to the cursor that may also cause some pain. I've never heard of long-term wrist pain being caused by clicking, though I'm not a medical expert by any means, so take this with a grain of salt. You might also try to take frequent, but short, brakes from the computer if it's possible. 

As for a foot pedal, I don't have any suggestions for that, but you might also try a wrist brace, I've heard that can help with things like this.

Lower DPI, get larger mousepad and use your arm to move the mouse rather than your wrist. Take breaks, do pushups or other activities to help strengthen/support your wrist.

This also happens to me when gaming for multiple hours. A thing I found to help me is moving my hand further up on the mouse pad and learning touchtyping to use both of my hands to type, that making my hands to move more from place to place.

1. Get a good mousepad ( lttstore.com )

2. Get a mouse that fits well in your hand. For me a 4$ mouse seems to be the only thing that fits well in my hand.

3. Try using a controller. When games support it and I have the chance I go for the controller because it keeps the hand strain away and I tend to like it more. The XBOX controller is the best one in terms of ergonomics (it also has native windows support so thats a bonus) [PS4 user here]

4. GET OFF YOUR COMPUTER! A game is not worth a hand injury.

P.S Also rotate your writs from time to time, and some small exercises that involve getting away from your chair.