Can you track someones search history etc. through YouTube?

Go to solution Solved by pythonmegapixel,
9 minutes ago, DelavorexIndustries said:

I do not know. If you are concerned with your privacy consider switching to a browser like Brave. Get a VPN and use Tor protocol when possible. Use WPA3 protocol for Wi-Fi and have a hotswap drive setup with packet delivery settings so any important information can be connected, read, and written on but never stored to other components during operation. Do not connect the drive to a device using an active internet connection regardless of other safeguards and virtualize your machine.

In reality, that is extreme paranoia to avoid something which is almost certainly just a bluff...

(Note that we can't be entirely sure one way or the other - if I received that comment I would probably be checking my privacy settings on my accounts, maybe running a virus scan if I could be bothered, but certainly nothing more than that)

So I was talking to this guy in the YouTube comments with my friend and we tried to proof him wrong in a subject, but all of a sudden he wrote this.

"Can you can not just tell a little about Arsenal? I notice that you have the same hobby and visit the same international sites. (it's silly online to try to bluff a computer expert, boy)"

Which seemed kinda scary, because we're both fans of this football club "Arsenal" while we also use some of the same websites to talk football on like Reddit and Twitter etc. Can you actually find someones search history through YouTube, or is this guy just bluffing? Because he could just try to bluff and test us into being scared or something. It should be said that my friend has a picture of an Arsenal player in his youtube pfp. 

You can't track someone's search history per-se unless they have planted malware somewhere, but if you have your settings configured wrong they can see your watch-later list and possibly what videos you have watched in the past, and they can see what other sites you visit by looking at your profiles if you have publicly viewable accounts on there.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

1 minute ago, pythonmegapixel said:

You can't track someone's search history per-se unless they have planted malware somewhere, but if you have your settings configured wrong they can see your watch-later list, and they can see what other sites you visit by looking at your profiles if you have publicly viewable accounts on there.

I don't really see how he planted malware. Never talked to him before, neither did I click anything. We are though subscribed to each other, and we did kinda write at the same time since I told my friend to look at this guy and we both commented. I don't know if he is some expert mad hacker, but I don't really see how someone could find out all this information. I guess it's a bluff?

7 minutes ago, pythonmegapixel said:

You can't track someone's search history per-se unless they have planted malware somewhere, but if you have your settings configured wrong they can see your watch-later list, and they can see what other sites you visit by looking at your profiles if you have publicly viewable accounts on there.

Oh yeah, everything is private though.

16 minutes ago, Emil_Loenneberg SE said:

So I was talking to this guy in the YouTube comments with my friend and we tried to proof him wrong in a subject, but all of a sudden he wrote this.

"Can you can not just tell a little about Arsenal? I notice that you have the same hobby and visit the same international sites. (it's silly online to try to bluff a computer expert, boy)"

Which seemed kinda scary, because we're both fans of this football club "Arsenal" while we also use some of the same websites to talk football on like Reddit and Twitter etc. Can you actually find someones search history through YouTube, or is this guy just bluffing? Because he could just try to bluff and test us into being scared or something. It should be said that my friend has a picture of an Arsenal player in his youtube pfp. 

The topic is pretty broad. I will say this. Those who truly know what they are doing when it comes to something like this are after specific goals, and are either working for a well paying agency or wasting talent. They likely are not interested in an online comment dick measuring contest. 

As far as the situation goes, it is possible to get someone's IP address or domain. It would be possible to find where that IP address routed it's traffic through and who owns the node. It would be difficult, unlikely, but possible to get the information from the owner of the node. Once they have that information they would be able to gather search history. It would be easier to gather information through watch history and make educated assumptions. Either way, stop wasting your time with them.

8 minutes ago, DelavorexIndustries said:

The topic is pretty broad. I will say this. Those who truly know what they are doing when it comes to something like this are after specific goals, and are either working for a well paying agency or wasting talent. They likely are not interested in an online comment dick measuring contest. 

As far as the situation goes, it is possible to get someone's IP address or domain. It would be possible to find where that IP address routed it's traffic through and who owns the node. It would be difficult, unlikely, but possible to get the information from the owner of the node. Once they have that information they would be able to gather search history. It would be easier to gather information through watch history and make educated assumptions. Either way, stop wasting your time with them.

Fairs. Yeah everything is private, so your guess is a bluff? 

2 minutes ago, Emil_Loenneberg SE said:

Fairs. Yeah everything is private, so your guess is a bluff? 

I do not know. If you are concerned with your privacy consider switching to a browser like Brave. Get a VPN and use Tor protocol when possible. Use WPA3 protocol for Wi-Fi and have a hotswap drive setup with packet delivery settings so any important information can be connected, read, and written on but never stored to other components during operation. Do not connect the drive to a device using an active internet connection regardless of other safeguards and virtualize your machine.

9 minutes ago, DelavorexIndustries said:

In reality, that is extreme paranoia to avoid something which is almost certainly just a bluff...

(Note that we can't be entirely sure one way or the other - if I received that comment I would probably be checking my privacy settings on my accounts, maybe running a virus scan if I could be bothered, but certainly nothing more than that)

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

3 minutes ago, pythonmegapixel said:

It was intended to be

37 minutes ago, pythonmegapixel said:

I literally asked him what websites and how he could know. He just wrote "I just use google" 

Well yea it's a obvious bluff hahah, thanks for the help