Should I wait or buy a graphics card to finish my build?

Citrusflavour01

All i need is a graphics card to start up my new PC but I'm not sure what to do! I was thinking of buying a cheap preowned card to just do a job until the prices drop and I have more money but I'm not so sure now. Should I just keep using my laptop and wait for a better time to buy a graphics card I want?

Upgrade in the making

MY CURRENT PC - GIGABYTE B550 Aorus Pro V2 | Ryzen 9 5900X | Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB 3200MHz C16 | RTX 3070 Ti VENTUS 3X | 1TB Sabrent Rocket 4.0 NVMe | 1TB SAMSUNG 980 NVMe 3.0 | RM750x Corsair | Corsair iCUE H150i Elite CAPELLIX | Corsair iCUE 7000X RGB 

13 minutes ago, Citrusflavour01 said:

All i need is a graphics card to start up my new PC but I'm not sure what to do! I was thinking of buying a cheap preowned card to just do a job until the prices drop and I have more money but I'm not so sure now. Should I just keep using my laptop and wait for a better time to buy a graphics card I want?

Look at local used and hope you find somthing at a decent. 970 Works fine for most games at the moment with some tweeking. This drought will last QUITE a long time the way things are going.

13 minutes ago, Citrusflavour01 said:

If you don't need it immediately, you can try getting a new card from a retailer at msrp by watching the alerts and new egg shuffles if you are in the US.  The used market is a bit crazy too. 

Just get a cheap used card for now, something like the early 2010 midrange card should cost $15.

Or a new one like GT710, this should be a great backup / troubleshooting card if yor gpu broken in the future.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

2 hours ago, EmoChipmonk said:

Look at local used and hope you find somthing at a decent. 970 Works fine for most games at the moment with some tweeking. This drought will last QUITE a long time the way things are going.

Keep the 970 for now. I can run most modern games at 1440p/60 locked on my ancient R9 390X with low settings. But I will NOT pay over €/$/£1000 for a high end card. 800 should be the ABSOLUTE maximum for a card that should last you 5+ years. Like the 970 has. 

Drought wont last. People need to cash out soon from the mining, the cant sit on the money forever. Trickling for daily survival...probably. But people who mine wish to buy into the vanity fair. Search you feelings, you know this to be true...

On 2/28/2021 at 11:24 PM, PriitM said:

Keep the 970 for now. I can run most modern games at 1440p/60 locked on my ancient R9 390X with low settings. But I will NOT pay over €/$/£1000 for a high end card. 800 should be the ABSOLUTE maximum for a card that should last you 5+ years. Like the 970 has. 

Drought wont last. People need to cash out soon from the mining, the cant sit on the money forever. Trickling for daily survival...probably. But people who mine wish to buy into the vanity fair. Search you feelings, you know this to be true...

The thing is like gpu arnt the only electronics that are having a hell of a time being in stock. Even cars are getting screwed. Thats why i said it will prob be a while. Alot of people dont trust used mining cards as well.