Serious Advice! ( VM servers! )

Okay, So lets get started with what i need advice about!

I need a server, a pretty beefy one! 
its purposes are hosting vms that are running game servers 

i have .. well had a decently growing network of game servers on a few games CS:GO MineCraft .. and so on
i was paying for server space from a individual not from a company for way cheaper he unfortunately had to drop me for reasons i am fully content with and understand, i cant neccesarily discuss bc of respect and private matters!

I am aware that owning a server is not a 1 and done solution to my issue 
as there is server maintenance and security and networking solutions

i personally feel as if security isnt much of a problem mostly because im going to be the only user 
and the server will not be storing important data 

maintenance shouldnt be an issue saying pcs usually last long times and have low chances of malfunctions 

Im just trying get my game servers back up without having to deal with 3rd party server providers

i have a 1000$ budget and i am prioritizing cores and ram 
i hope that whoever can point me in the best direction to help me out sees this and i would love any and every bit of advice on what to do 
where to look 
and i mean hey if you have a server you want to sell maybe im interested

So to summarize I need a Server that Is speced out to have the most cores and ram 1000$ can afford new used refurbished just what ever can get me back on track! 
Mostly minecraft servers so very resources intense 
would need to run atleast 6 7 vms

Some used xeon v3 or v4 workstation should be good for this.

But I need more info. How many servers will be running of which game? Keep in mind depending on the games you choose the cpu changes. Because you will have to balanced per core performance vs amount of cores as otherwise you might end up with games that just do not run well at all due to lack of single core speed.

As for running them just use a low end linux distro as the host and then run all the servers in their necessary vms (might wanna use some stripped down windows versions for it if it's windows only). Don't run anything on the host but the virtualization. You can also use vmware esxi, unraid,.... and plenty of others to do the same as the linux distro.

Is this buying in us or somewhere else?

So i would be running mostly minecraft servers and many of them The level of resources would vary based on gamemodes and plugins but  with my previous hosting solutions ive had to use nearly 100 gigs on one of my servers soooo
USA

For that budget id probalby get something like a used dell r730 or anouther dual 2011-3 server. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-R730-Server-w-2x-4-Core-3GHz-E5-2623v3-64GB-RAM-2x-300GB-10K-16x-2-5-Bay/402602203820?epid=22008212618&hash=item5dbcf61aac:g:648AAOSw-k1f1BGv

Then add more ram and cpu as needed. 

Or if you want quiet and low power, get a mid range desktop with something like a 10700, 64gb of ram, a b460 board.

What hypervisor do you plan on using? Im a sucker for proxmox.

8 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

What hypervisor do you plan on using? Im a sucker for proxmox.

ive fallen for proxmox too.. 

question about minecraft servers... so if its heavily single core dependant... can you run multiple instances (isolated in different vms of course) and not impact the others?

12 minutes ago, Jameszy said:

ive fallen for proxmox too.. 

question about minecraft servers... so if its heavily single core dependant... can you run multiple instances (isolated in different vms of course) and not impact the others?

I normally give my containers for mine craft 2 or 4 cores. Nice to have for background tasks, and things like updates. I normally run one vm or container per mc server. Since containers run mc just fine, I use them normally.

5 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

I normally give my containers for mine craft 2 or 4 cores. Nice to have for background tasks, and things like updates. I normally run one vm or container per mc server. Since containers run mc just fine, I use them normally.

Well this is going to be a massive learning curve for me! I feel as if i need to know based on past incidents... I havent ever had to learn or maintain a server I simply paid for server acess and had my hoster do his thing and he has been wonderful until something came up on his end and im at square one so 

In perspective anything you say is basically a completely different language 

On the up side im sure its not to hard to learn

1 minute ago, KiloXI said:

Well this is going to be a massive learning curve for me! I feel as if i need to know based on past incidents... I havent ever had to learn or maintain a server I simply paid for server acess and had my hoster do his thing and he has been wonderful until something came up on his end and im at square one so 

In perspective anything you say is basically a completely different language 

On the up side im sure its not to hard to learn

Yea there is a good amount to learn and other issues, like home internet is not great for hosting often. 

Its up to you if you want to pay for a premade solution or spend time building your own.

There is no RFC specification for a "server:. Server is a role...not a piece of hardware. You can make anything a server. Intel and AMD do not make 'server' chips. The itanium was the last server chip Intel made. They make some chips that aren't crippled when it comes to multiple sockets and handle large memory amounts better than lesser chips designated for a desktop and handle NUMA better. So called server chips don't perform better than lowly i9's or Threadrippers. The toughest, most reliable servers I've every deployed are lowly entry business level Dell's and HPs. Intel and AMD make desktop chips they market into roles for servers. If you really think a 2U server in a rack with half a dozen screaming 60mm fans is better at thermal mgmt than a quiet and cool mini tower running the same core count you are dreaming.

To make this easy you need to determine what your resource / performance requirements are for each of your VM's. So, think about how much server you will need for each of your physical server installs. You have to determine this since I don't know minecraft nor it's resource requirements. The app determines how much hardware you need, not being virtual. 

The wall you typically run into with server virtualization is memory. You can install a hypervisor on any desktop workstation and make a pretty decent server out of it. However, once you start getting into half a dozen VM's you need well beyond 64GB of RAM and this where the expensive motherboards designated for server roles come into play. 

Or, you can use the latest Threadripper desktop CPU with generic ECC memory and get more hardware from a couple cheap hosts this way per dollar than wasting money on a used Server. Basically you have two or three smaller boxes using the latest and greatest budget CPU than a monolithic box that's over priced and likely already obsolete. The fact it says "server" on the box doesn't mean anything.

Minecraft isn't very CPU demanding just make sure you have enough ram per player that logs on to the server. I am guessing you have already set a static IP on your network. If not I could Help you with that, But what's nice about hosting in the cloud is the only thing keeping you from speed is Network. If you have any questions feel free to email me at <removed by staff> Thanks!

Hunter Craig

Edited by SansVarnic
Content removed

6 hours ago, Network Administrator said:

Minecraft isn't very CPU demanding just make sure you have enough ram per player that logs on to the server. I am guessing you have already set a static IP on your network. If not I could Help you with that, But what's nice about hosting in the cloud is the only thing keeping you from speed is Network. If you have any questions feel free to email me at <removed by staff> Thanks!

Hunter Craig

Contacting you via the PM system in forum would be better than openly posting your contact info.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

On 3/1/2021 at 11:06 PM, SansVarnic said:

Contacting you via the PM system in forum would be better than openly posting your contact info.

Ok Thank you moderator for the help. I haven't herd of the pm system is that a direct message?

25 minutes ago, Network Administrator said:

Ok Thank you moderator for the help. I haven't herd of the pm system is that a direct message?

Yes. PM = Personal Messenger.

You will find here on the top right of the page. (Red Arrow)

image.thumb.png.3c4e43c1fa0446b5c24ee73ce8ada010.png

or here: https://linustechtips.com/messenger/

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER