PC will boot with Ryzen 3, but not brand new Ryzen 5

TreesMadeOfTanks

In January i purchased a variety of new and used parts for a system, this included buying a whole prebuilt system used from a friend which i was only going to use for the case, PSU and motherboard. So i put the new cpu in (ryzen 5 3600) and absolutely nothing, black screen. 

But when i put the cpu which came with the prebuilt system in (ryzen 3 2300x) it boots right up and everything works great. This brought me to the decision i must have got a faulty CPU and since i didn't have another motherboard to test i exchanged it for a new one. This was a long process with newegg shipping but i got it in, take the ryzen 3 out and pop the new one in. Same thing.

All fans spinning but input signal is dead. Am i doing something wrong? I researched the motherboard and i don't see any reason why the CPU change should be causing a problem. PSU is 500W btw

CPU Ryzen 5 3600 -  GPU GeForce GTX 1060 3GB - MOTHERBOARD Asus B550 Plus - - HARD DRIVE WD Blue 1TB - MEMORY Corsair 16GB DDR4

The motherboard in your signature is the one in the system I suppose? If so update the bios those boards are not compatible without a bios update that makes them. Even then that board is crazy low end and I hope it can handle a 3600 without lowering performance or vrm temp issues.

Which prebuilt is it?
Is your BIOS updated? Ryzen 3000 chips sometimes require a BIOS update when coming from 1st or 2nd gen Ryzen chips.

elephants

5 minutes ago, TreesMadeOfTanks said:

In January i purchased a variety of new and used parts for a system, this included buying a whole prebuilt system used from a friend which i was only going to use for the case, PSU and motherboard. So i put the new cpu in (ryzen 5 3600) and absolutely nothing, black screen. 

But when i put the cpu which came with the prebuilt system in (ryzen 3 2300x) it boots right up and everything works great. This brought me to the decision i must have got a faulty CPU and since i didn't have another motherboard to test i exchanged it for a new one. This was a long process with newegg shipping but i got it in, take the ryzen 3 out and pop the new one in. Same thing.

All fans spinning but input signal is dead. Am i doing something wrong? I researched the motherboard and i don't see any reason why the CPU change should be causing a problem. PSU is 500W btw

You most likely have to update the bios rev from ASRock.. CPU upgrades are a bit more sketchy

hi, im renata bliss and am ur freestyle dance teacher

2 minutes ago, jaslion said:

The motherboard in your signature is the one in the system I suppose? If so update the bios those boards are not compatible without a bios update that makes them. Even then that board is crazy low end and I hope it can handle a 3600 without lowering performance or vrm temp issues.

Wanna hear something funny? I first thought that was the case too, I looked up the supported CPU list for that board. In order for R3 3100 to work, OP would need P6.10 while 3600 needs P5.90. BIOS update very well still might be necessary, its just weird see that. 

EDIT: OP has 2300X. OP needs BIOS update. I inhaled way too much solder fumes today sorry for the confusion.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

1 minute ago, Levent said:

Wanna hear something funny? I first thought that was the case too, I looked up the supported CPU list for that board. In order for R3 3100 to work, OP would need P6.10 while 3600 needs P5.90. BIOS update very well still might be necessary, its just weird see that.

i hate cpu upgrades holy shit

hi, im renata bliss and am ur freestyle dance teacher

Check P5.90 on this link:

https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/A320M-HDV/index.asp#BIOS

Note that you have to upgrade something else at the same time, although I'm not sure a VGA driver would have anything to do with anything in your situation. Also note that once you go to 5.90, there's no turning back.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

4 minutes ago, Levent said:

EDIT: OP has 2300X. OP needs BIOS update. I inhaled way too much solder fumes today sorry for the confusion.

Makes sense tho as the 3600 launched before the 3100 and that was probably consciously done to preserve compatibility with as many older cpu's as possible due to the limit bios size on that board.

What i seem to be gathering is that if i update my bios i should be able to make it work for now, but long term i need to be looking at a motherboard thats not as much of a pos

CPU Ryzen 5 3600 -  GPU GeForce GTX 1060 3GB - MOTHERBOARD Asus B550 Plus - - HARD DRIVE WD Blue 1TB - MEMORY Corsair 16GB DDR4