14+4 to 20+4

Go to solution Solved by Spotty,
3 minutes ago, UnnamedCat_ said:

Yes here is the photo.

Hmm, odd. It only has 12V rails but it has a 5V standby. Normally they just use a 12V standby rail.

You won't be able to use that PSU with the H61 motherboard as the H61 motherboard will require 3.3V and 5V.

5 minutes ago, UnnamedCat_ said:

And yes my GPU has a 6 pin power connector. If the lenovo psu had a PCIe power connector this whole problem wouldn't exist. But it just has SATA power, CPU power and mobo 14+4.

Ah, that sucks.

Kinda shitty but prebuilt machines like those Lenovo PCs aren't designed to be upgraded down the line. They're meant to be thrown in the eWaste bin once their usefulness is at an end so they can sell another computer.

My aim is to move the motherboard from PC2 to take advantage of its I7 and put my gpu on it, while putting the mobo from PC1 into PC2 to make both PCs usable by the end. The problem is that the Lenovo motherboard has a 14+4 pin power connector. Which means in order to use the 550W psu on it i have to use an adapter. On the other hand. I have to use the 270W psu on the H61M. Will they work? Will the H61M work with a 270W psu and how will i connect a 14+4 pin into a 24 pin socket?

I have:

PC 1:

CPU: i5 3570

GPU: GTX 950

PSU: 550W Thermaltake (20+4)

MoBo: AsRock H61M-vs

PC 2:

CPU: i7 4790

GPU: N/A (integrated intel)

PSU: Stock 270W (14+4)

MoBo: CIH81M (Stock Lenovo)

Wait, did the one with the 14+4 come from a prebuilt? Most likely its one of those custom motherboard. My sister's pc (an ho prebuilt) had a weird power connector too and we actually had to replace the motherboard so we can add a gpu that needs a power connector. luckily it was quite cheap. 

Edit: I just did a bit of research and it actually does have an adapter in your case. Im not sure about its safety tho.

Im with the mentaility of "IF IM NOT SURE IF ITS ENOUGH COOLING, GO OVERKILL"

CURRENT PC SPECS    

CPU             Ryzen 5 3600 (Formerly Ryzen 3 1200)

GPU             : ASUS RX 580 Dual OC (Formerly ASUS GTX 1060 but it got corroded for some odd reasons)

GPU COOOER      : ID Cooling Frostflow 120 VGA (Stock cooler overheats even when undervolted :()

MOBO            : MSI B350m Bazooka

MEMORY          Team Group Elite TUF DDR4 3600 Mhz CL 16
STORAGE         : Seagate Baracudda 1TB and Kingston SSD
PSU             : Thermaltake Lite power 550W (Gonna change soon as i dont trust this)
CASE            : Rakk Anyag Frost
CPU COOLER      : ID-Cooling SE 207
CASE FANS       : Mix of ID cooling fans, Corsair fans and Rakk Ounos (planned change to ID Cooling)
DISPLAY         : SpectrePro XTNS24 144hz Curved VA panel
MOUSE           : Logitech G603 Lightspeed
KEYBOARD        : Rakk Lam Ang

HEADSET         : Plantronics RIG 500HD

Kingston Hyper X Stinger

and a whole lot of LED everywhere(behind the monitor, behind the desk, behind the shelf of the PC mount and inside the case)

those power supplies are a really funky standard.. it's a 'proprietary' standard they share with dell and acer. if i recall they dont have a 5 volt or 3.3 volt rail, only the +5vsb rail and +12v rail.

i think your best call will be trying to fit an SFX power supply into the lenovo case, and buying/making an adapter for the thermalfake to power the lenovo motherboard.

i've had an acer '14-pin' motherboard running off an ATX power supply with an adapter for a while, going from ATX power supply to 14 pin is just an adapter consisting of wires going places. going from the 14-pin design to ATX would require some active circuitry to add the missing rails.

7 hours ago, UnnamedCat_ said:

On the other hand. I have to use the 270W psu on the H61M. Will they work? Will the H61M work with a 270W psu and how will i connect a 14+4 pin into a 24 pin socket?

Do you have a model number for the Lenovo PSU or a photo of the label on the PSU?

You might not be able to use the Lenovo PSU on the H61 system or the Thermaltake PSU on the Lenovo motherboard. Does the label on the Lenovo PSU have 5V, 3.3V and 5VSB listed? Or is it just 12V and 12VSB? If it's only 12V then you won't be able to swap them between the machines.

I would just use the GTX 950 in the Lenovo PC. The GTX 950 consumes 75W so you should be able to get away with it on the 270W Lenovo PSU. Does your GTX 950 card require a 6pin or 8pin PCIe power connector?

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

4 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Do you have a model number for the Lenovo PSU or a photo of the label on the PSU?

You might not be able to use the Lenovo PSU on the H61 system or the Thermaltake PSU on the Lenovo motherboard. Does the label on the Lenovo PSU have 5V, 3.3V and 5VSB listed? Or is it just 12V and 12VSB? If it's only 12V then you won't be able to swap them between the machines.

I would just use the GTX 950 in the Lenovo PC. The GTX 950 consumes 75W so you should be able to get away with it on the 270W Lenovo PSU. Does your GTX 950 card require a 6pin or 8pin PCIe power connector?

Yes here is the photo. 20210228_092953.thumb.jpg.feba754b0f6b705a090f6bbee166532c.jpg

And yes my GPU has a 6 pin power connector. If the lenovo psu had a PCIe power connector this whole problem wouldn't exist. But it just has SATA power, CPU power and mobo 14+4.

3 minutes ago, UnnamedCat_ said:

Yes here is the photo.

Hmm, odd. It only has 12V rails but it has a 5V standby. Normally they just use a 12V standby rail.

You won't be able to use that PSU with the H61 motherboard as the H61 motherboard will require 3.3V and 5V.

5 minutes ago, UnnamedCat_ said:

Ah, that sucks.

Kinda shitty but prebuilt machines like those Lenovo PCs aren't designed to be upgraded down the line. They're meant to be thrown in the eWaste bin once their usefulness is at an end so they can sell another computer.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

12 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Ah, that sucks.

I once had a molex to 6 pin adapter that came with my GPU. Do you think i could sacrifice a sata connector or two to use that? Because i think molex and SATA have the same voltages right? I don't know about current.

Just now, UnnamedCat_ said:

I once had a molex to 6 pin adaptet that came with my GPU. Do you think i could sacrifice a sata connector or two to use that? Because i think molex and SATA have the same voltages right? I don't know about current.

PCIe 6 pin connectors have 3x 12V wires. A SATA connector (and molex) has a single 12V wire. The SATA connectors themselves use very small contacts that are meant for relatively low current applications (ie a hard drive). SATA cables often uses thinner gauge wires as well for the same reason. They're really not suitable for powering a graphics card. You'll either melt the wire or melt the connector trying to power a graphics card off a SATA connector.

6 minutes ago, Spotty said:

PCIe 6 pin connectors have 3x 12V wires. A SATA connector (and molex) has a single 12V wire. The SATA connectors themselves use very small contacts that are meant for relatively low current applications (ie a hard drive). SATA cables often uses thinner gauge wires as well for the same reason. They're really not suitable for powering a graphics card. You'll either melt the wire or melt the connector trying to power a graphics card off a SATA connector.

Oh ok then. So my only choice is to get a new PSU and a 24 pin to 14 adapter. Thanks for your help 🤗

12 hours ago, UnnamedCat_ said:

Oh ok then. So my only choice is to get a new PSU and a 24 pin to 14 adapter. Thanks for your help 🤗

No.  You should get a PSU and a new motherboard.