I was looking for a new 1440p monitor and stumbled on this ebay listing

IRMacGuyver

wtf am i even looking at?

CPU: i9 19300k////GPU: RTX 4090////RAM: 64gb DDR5 5600mhz ////MOBO: Aorus z790 Elite////MONITORS: 3 LG 38" 3840x1600 WIDESCREEN MONITORS

2 hours ago, IRMacGuyver said:

Would modern HDMI to VGA cables have good enough specs to handle WQHD or what ever bizaro VGA derivative this thing is? 

haven't seen one of these in years. yea, an hdmi to vga would work. don't know what you mean about the wqhd, as this thing isn't anywhere close to 1440p lol

i stand corrected lol

27 minutes ago, bmx6454 said:

haven't seen one of these in years. yea, an hdmi to vga would work. don't know what you mean about the wqhd, as this thing isn't anywhere close to 1440p lol

it's actually 1440p lol

2304 x 1440 @ 80 Hz

Also OP, 3500 for a triniton monitor? 

I mean, it's probably worth like 500 max... personally wouldn't do it at all, but on the other hand if you have the money to blow then why not lol. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

In my opinion, I wouldn't spend $3000+ on a monitor.

Why don't you go with a Asus TUF Gaming VG27AQ Monitor?

It's got a higher refresh rate, an IPS display, G-Sync, a 1ms response time, flicker-free, and about almost one-ninth of the price.

→  Kindly quote or mention me if you would like a reply back.

<famous quote>

I can see how for a retro computing enthusiast this thing might be some sort of holy grail, although the price is still laughable. The idea of spending on it over a modern 1440p display that costs a fraction of this price as a "daily driver" monitor is absurd.

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

27 minutes ago, Jayzer said:

It's got a higher refresh rate, an IPS display, G-Sync, a 1ms response time, flicker-free,

Nothing. Nothing beats a CRT in image quality and input lag. Flat screens are better at almost everything else that's true, but the two really important things they cannot beat a CRT and that's Image quality / input lag. 

It's kinda like the vinyl of display tech, old but gold ~

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

13 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

Nothing. Nothing beats a CRT in image quality and input lag. Flat screens are better at almost everything else that's true, but the two really important things they cannot beat a CRT and that's Image quality / input lag. 

I'm honestly surprised no indie company has started producing high resolution modern CRTs yet. There is definitely a market for them. Old HD CRTs actually had a really nice picture, I wish I owned one but they were produced for such a short time that they are extremely rare and now command insane prices like the one OP found.

17 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

Well, completely up to you.

You want to spend $3,500 on a monitor? Go ahead.

But personally, I wouldn't 😂

→  Kindly quote or mention me if you would like a reply back.

<famous quote>

15 minutes ago, Jayzer said:

You want to spend $3,500 on a monitor? Go ahead.

yeah i already mentioned it's not worth that much... 

18 minutes ago, Shoopman said:

I'm honestly surprised no indie company has started producing high resolution modern CRTs yet. There is definitely a market for them. Old HD CRTs actually had a really nice picture, I wish I owned one but they were produced for such a short time that they are extremely rare and now command insane prices like the one OP found.

I've been thinking about this as well, there definitely would be a market, I'd buy one for sure (if it's good and not too expensive) towards the end, especially Sony, made some really "flat" ones, about half of the usual depth of a CRT if I had to guess... so that would be really nice. 

I'm not sure why no one's doing it, but I can imagine it's probably not easy, there's like 50+ years of R&D in those, and it's almost forgotten tech at this point, so maybe that's a factor.

Well I've been looking for some Sony HD CRTs a couple of years ago, they generally went between 100 and 200 bucks, but now with the tech bubble everything's expensive, and these also get rarer of course so I'm not surprised about high prices. 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 hour ago, Mark Kaine said:

it's actually 1440p lol

2304 x 1440 @ 80 Hz

Also OP, 3500 for a triniton monitor? 

I mean, it's probably worth like 500 max... personally wouldn't do it at all, but on the other hand if you have the money to blow then why not lol. 

really? wow, i mistook it for a regular crt i guess.

35 minutes ago, bmx6454 said:

really? wow, i mistook it for a regular crt i guess.

Yeap. I'm not sure what the max resolution was back then but that's probably about it... and almost all CRT TVs afaik went to 1080i max so monitors were of course much superior - - and thinking about it this particular monitor is probably rather rare and maybe even close to worth the price... I still think not really, depends on how much it was new I guess. 

Edit: so after a bit of digging this thing retailed at $2300... I'd say 3500 is still way too much lol.

https://hardforum.com/threads/24-widescreen-crt-fw900-from-ebay-arrived-comments.952788/

That guy paid 400, although 16 years ago... 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

12 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

depends on how much it was new I guess. 

Best I can find from Google the MSRP when it was new in 2001 was $2000, or adjusting for inflation slightly under $3000 in 2021 dollars. 

This thing weighs 93lbs, btw. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

2 minutes ago, Middcore said:

Best I can find from Google the MSRP when it was new in 2001 was $2000, or adjusting for inflation slightly under $3000 in 2021 dollars. 

This thing weighs 93lbs, btw. 

yeah so all things considered, as I said if OP has money to blow why not... imo it's too expensive obviously. 🤷🏼

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

graphics cards past maxwell architecure won't support analog signals

-> Moved to Displays

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Yeah... really kinda shame would've been awesome to see a 'modern' CRT really.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

8 hours ago, comander said:

These have been $$$$ for a few years now. 

The problem is that slowly but surely they're all dying/wearing out. There's a small group of people who want "the best" (whatever that means) and this checks that box for them (even if they're NOT the best on many other measures). 

Yea I remember this monitor now, it's kinda one of a kind iirc, they didn't make to many of them that's for sure! The 'holy grail' lol. 

4 hours ago, Doobeedoo said:

Yeah... really kinda shame would've been awesome to see a 'modern' CRT really.

yup... oh well, I sure miss the glass panels tbh, the clarity... I think modern flat screens are all made of plastic? or at least many of them... 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

6 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

yup... oh well, I sure miss the glass panels tbh, the clarity... I think modern flat screens are all made of plastic? or at least many of them... 

I mean there are glass LCDs but they're so reflection it's horrible. My main display is matte, I have one monitor on the side that's glossy, it's very reflective.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/26/2021 at 8:01 PM, Mark Kaine said:

Show me it for sale for $500 and I'll buy it for $500. 

On 2/27/2021 at 4:30 AM, comander said:

not being stupidly obsessive about low input latency, will make you happier.

I am an absolutely horrible gamer.  I recently reconfigured my tv setup and after a while I realized I never set up the "game mode" options on the new inputs correctly to remove input lag.  I removed it and was suddenly able to pull off moves and jumps I'd been stumbling over for days.  I know it's not much but I'm so horrible I apparently really need every millisecond I can get just to get by.   

A CRT also doesn't run into the resolution change issues inherent to digital monitors.  I play a lot of Silent Hill and Resident Evil which both seem to suffer from constant resolution changes. 

I'm trying to do more youtube content since it looks like I'll never get a real job ever again.