Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

First PC Build: 5800X and 3080

Budget (including currency): $2000 AUD (without GPU)

Country: Australia

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: 4K Gaming, Linux Virtual Machine for data processing 

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

 

Hi All,

Looking to build a 3080-compatible windows gaming PC that can also run a Linux VM for work. Looking to use a Ryzen 5800X for productivity with a minimum of 32GB RAM (though could go for 64). I currently have a RX 5700XT which I will slot in temporarily, but I will be looking to install a 3080 when I can get one. 1TB M.2 storage would be great, I have an additional 2TB SATA drive already.

This is what I've got so far: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/Y9NVy4

RGB is not important to me at all, any RGB will probably be turned off most of the time.

Mostly looking for advice on motherboard, cooling and case, any input appreciated!

 

Edited by jackaatto
Extra information
Link to post
Share on other sites

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3.8 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($667.70 @ Newegg Australia) 
CPU Cooler: Corsair A500 75 CFM CPU Cooler  ($72.60 @ Newegg Australia) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($259.00 @ Mwave Australia) 
Memory: Team T-FORCE DARK Z 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory  ($199.00 @ PCCaseGear) 
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($130.00 @ Amazon Australia) 
Storage: Seagate FireCuda 2 TB 2.5" 5400RPM Hybrid Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Video Card: Asus GeForce RTX 3080 10 GB TUF GAMING Video Card  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Case: Lian Li LANCOOL II-W ATX Mid Tower Case  ($149.00 @ Centre Com) 
Power Supply: BitFenix Whisper M 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($149.00 @ Scorptec) 
Total: $1626.30
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-02-26 15:36 AEDT+1100

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Herman Mcpootis said:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3.8 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($667.70 @ Newegg Australia) 
CPU Cooler: Corsair A500 75 CFM CPU Cooler  ($72.60 @ Newegg Australia) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($259.00 @ Mwave Australia) 
Memory: Team T-FORCE DARK Z 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory  ($199.00 @ PCCaseGear) 
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($130.00 @ Amazon Australia) 
Storage: Seagate FireCuda 2 TB 2.5" 5400RPM Hybrid Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Video Card: Asus GeForce RTX 3080 10 GB TUF GAMING Video Card  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Case: Lian Li LANCOOL II-W ATX Mid Tower Case  ($149.00 @ Centre Com) 
Power Supply: BitFenix Whisper M 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($149.00 @ Scorptec) 
Total: $1626.30
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-02-26 15:36 AEDT+1100

Thanks Herman! I have a slight preference for white cases but am not a big fan of RGB, do you have another case that you'd recommend? Would something like this be appropriate? https://au.pcpartpicker.com/product/ybH8TW/lian-li-lancool-ii-mesh-atx-mid-tower-case-lancool-ii-mesh-performance 

Link to post
Share on other sites

That is a good case, I would personally recommend the Fractal Design Meshify C. If you aren't into RGB you could save some money on the ram by going for a corsair lpx or gskill ripjaws kit with either 3200 cl14 or 3600 cl16 speeds. Also, I personally have not heard much about that PSU, I recommend the Corsair RM750x, but that PSU could also be just fine. As for the CPU cooler, I don't think corsair air coolers are as good as something like a noctua NH-D15 or a be quiet dark rock pro 4 which are where you could spend the money that you might save from the RAM, although I am unsure about the conversion to australlian dollars.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, js5836 said:

That is a good case, I would personally recommend the Fractal Design Meshify C. If you aren't into RGB you could save some money on the ram by going for a corsair lpx or gskill ripjaws kit with either 3200 cl14 or 3600 cl16 speeds. Also, I personally have not heard much about that PSU, I recommend the Corsair RM750x, but that PSU could also be just fine. As for the CPU cooler, I don't think corsair air coolers are as good as something like a noctua NH-D15 or a be quiet dark rock pro 4 which are where you could spend the money that you might save from the RAM, although I am unsure about the conversion to australlian dollars.

Great, thanks for the suggestions. I'll probably go the Corsair LPX 3600 as I've heard the Ryzen CPUs are hungry for fast memory. With the Fractal Design case, would you recommend adding additional fans or are those that come with the case going to be alright? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, jackaatto said:

Thanks Herman! I have a slight preference for white cases but am not a big fan of RGB, do you have another case that you'd recommend? Would something like this be appropriate? https://au.pcpartpicker.com/product/ybH8TW/lian-li-lancool-ii-mesh-atx-mid-tower-case-lancool-ii-mesh-performance 

I have the RGB version of this case.  It's fantastic to work in and it's spoken very highly of by GamersNexus in their case reviews (excellent out of the box thermals, mainly).  Timestamped for convenience.  I have no qualms recommending it.

 

14 minutes ago, js5836 said:

As for the CPU cooler, I don't think corsair air coolers are as good as something like a noctua NH-D15 or a be quiet dark rock pro 4 which are where you could spend the money that you might save from the RAM, although I am unsure about the conversion to australlian dollars.

 

I've heard similarly iffy things about Corsair CPU coolers.  Treat with caution if you do decide to go with that.

Link to post
Share on other sites

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3.8 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($667.70 @ Newegg Australia) 
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12A 60.09 CFM CPU Cooler  ($185.00 @ PC Byte) 
Motherboard: MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($259.00 @ Centre Com) 
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory  ($258.00 @ Device Deal) 
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($199.00 @ BPC Technology) 
Storage: Seagate FireCuda 2 TB 2.5" 5400RPM Hybrid Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Video Card: Asus GeForce RTX 3080 10 GB TUF GAMING Video Card  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Meshify S2 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($239.00 @ Centre Com) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMx 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($186.00 @ I-Tech) 
Total: $1993.70
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-02-26 16:30 AEDT+1100

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, jackaatto said:

Great, thanks for the suggestions. I'll probably go the Corsair LPX 3600 as I've heard the Ryzen CPUs are hungry for fast memory. With the Fractal Design case, would you recommend adding additional fans or are those that come with the case going to be alright? 

Might be a bit late now, but I would recommend more fans than what is included, there is a great 5-pack of Arctic P12 usually available on newegg or amazon that would work just fine.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, jackaatto said:

that psu is bad. Change that or refund it. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/27/2021 at 3:03 AM, Downkey said:

You weren't wrong about the Gigabyte PSU, it has horrible coil whine when idle. I will be returning that and will go for the Corsair RM, thanks for the suggestions

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, jackaatto said:

You weren't wrong about the Gigabyte PSU, it has horrible coil whine when idle. I will be returning that and will go for the Corsair RM, thanks for the suggestions

You may want a 850W just too be safe, but 750 should be fine

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×