AWFUL Experience with Origin PC

Oy Oy Oy8

It all started on December 2nd, 2020. I ordered my pc with an expected delivery date of 12/12-12/16. This is my first time buying a pc that is actually nice, so I was understandably excited to receive it. As 12/16 rolls around without the pc making it passed being processed I got worried. I called Origin to inquire about the status where they let me know they’re having problems acquiring the 3070 I picked out. No problem, I understand. Fast forward ten days. I call to inquire again and they ensure me it’ll only be another week until it’s shipped. Oh boy were they wrong. I finally received the PC on January 25. After nearly two months of waiting I could finally game with modern graphics. I booted up the pc, downloaded discord and a couple games. As I boot up one of my games and log in the pc crashes. I try it again and it crashes. Now I’m getting scared. I waited nearly two months for a lemon of a computer. I had my friend who knows a thing or two about PCs remote in and run some tests. It appeared that whenever the GPU was under load it would crash. I called the tech support hoping that it was a setting that was off or something. They ran the same tests and decided it was a faulty graphics card. They put in for a replacement and told me I should have it soon. Fast forward two weeks where I receive my new graphics card replacement. I was happy because after over two months I finally got to play on my nearly $3000 pc. I thought wrong. They sent me a graphics card that was the length of my case which did not work because the fans were there. I let them know and they ask for me to send them pictures because apparently simple measurements are hard. They then send me another graphics card (took a little over a week), and I plug that in for it to have the same problem. The tech support guy I spoke with had the audacity to say it’s another lemon of a graphics card and they will send me another one. I explained that even though I am not a tech guy, the odds of two graphics cards having the same problem seems very low. After going back and forth I called it quits and requested a refund. The customer support agent said he’s going to do me a favor because of the trouble and waive the restocking fee, but I’ll be responsible for the over $100 shipping fee. I finally settled on sending it in for repairs (where they pay the shipping both ways) because I don’t want to be out that money which would only take away from my next build. 

I now have to wait at least 20 business days until I will receive the pc back, and who knows if it’ll even work then. 

I hope this experience is a one-off, but consider this as a warning if you’re interested in using them to build your pc. 

12 minutes ago, Oy Oy Oy8 said:

It all started on December 2nd, 2020. I ordered my pc with an expected delivery date of 12/12-12/16. This is my first time buying a pc that is actually nice, so I was understandably excited to receive it. As 12/16 rolls around without the pc making it passed being processed I got worried. I called Origin to inquire about the status where they let me know they’re having problems acquiring the 3070 I picked out. No problem, I understand. Fast forward ten days. I call to inquire again and they ensure me it’ll only be another week until it’s shipped. Oh boy were they wrong. I finally received the PC on January 25. After nearly two months of waiting I could finally game with modern graphics. I booted up the pc, downloaded discord and a couple games. As I boot up one of my games and log in the pc crashes. I try it again and it crashes. Now I’m getting scared. I waited nearly two months for a lemon of a computer. I had my friend who knows a thing or two about PCs remote in and run some tests. It appeared that whenever the GPU was under load it would crash. I called the tech support hoping that it was a setting that was off or something. They ran the same tests and decided it was a faulty graphics card. They put in for a replacement and told me I should have it soon. Fast forward two weeks where I receive my new graphics card replacement. I was happy because after over two months I finally got to play on my nearly $3000 pc. I thought wrong. They sent me a graphics card that was the length of my case which did not work because the fans were there. I let them know and they ask for me to send them pictures because apparently simple measurements are hard. They then send me another graphics card (took a little over a week), and I plug that in for it to have the same problem. The tech support guy I spoke with had the audacity to say it’s another lemon of a graphics card and they will send me another one. I explained that even though I am not a tech guy, the odds of two graphics cards having the same problem seems very low. After going back and forth I called it quits and requested a refund. The customer support agent said he’s going to do me a favor because of the trouble and waive the restocking fee, but I’ll be responsible for the over $100 shipping fee. I finally settled on sending it in for repairs (where they pay the shipping both ways) because I don’t want to be out that money which would only take away from my next build. 

I now have to wait at least 20 business days until I will receive the pc back, and who knows if it’ll even work then. 

I hope this experience is a one-off, but consider this as a warning if you’re interested in using them to build your pc. 

Really sad to hear. I would have told you to check the cables for a loose connection. In case of the replacement card, I would have recommended just moving the fan so the card will fit. It is unlikely that both cards would have died on their way to you. Could be faulty or loose RAM modules as well as a faulty power supply. 

Hope things work out in the end.

5 minutes ago, Applefreak said:

Could be faulty or loose RAM modules as well as a faulty power supply. 

what i'm suspecting, problem with prebuilts is that their drivers can be up to a year old, and stuff is like faulty, and most importanly single channel ram even for $1000usd prebuilts

24 minutes ago, Oy Oy Oy8 said:

I hope this experience is a one-off

jeez I hope so too, what an awful experience. Hopefully once they have it in hand they will actually flipping test the thing to make sure it works before sending it to you. Anyone from origin PC on here that can get this guy a swag pack or something for his troubles..?

i7-8700k @ 4.8Ghz | EVGA CLC 280mm | Aorus Z370 Gaming 5 | 16GB G-Skill DDR4-3000 C15 | EVGA RTX 2080 | Corsair RM650x | NZXT S340 Elite | Zowie XL2730 

23 minutes ago, AntiTrust said:

jeez I hope so too, what an awful experience. Hopefully once they have it in hand they will actually flipping test the thing to make sure it works before sending it to you. Anyone from origin PC on here that can get this guy a swag pack or something for his troubles..?

They upgraded me from a normal 3070 to a founders 3070, but tbh with you i don’t know the difference. 

8 minutes ago, James Evens said:

"normal" some AIB/third party design

founders = NVIDIAs reference design

So I’ll take that as no real noticeable difference then. Good to know

6 minutes ago, Oy Oy Oy8 said:

So I’ll take that as no real noticeable difference then. Good to know

Nvidia has a habit of cherry picking the best silicon for their founders cards, so if it's an FE directly from nvidia that's not bad.

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

37 minutes ago, James Evens said:

"normal" some AIB/third party design

founders = NVIDIAs reference design

NVidia doesn't use the reference design anymore for their cards.

-> Moved to Laptops and Pre-Built Systems

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv