aorus z490 elite vs z590 elite

I was planning on buying the z490 elite but because of price changes the z590 elite is cheaper, should i get the 590, is it as good or better for overclocking?

and also will it be compatible with an i5 10600kf without a bios update?

edit: also can i use pcie gen 3 for my gpu?

I don't know about the OC performance, but any decent OC board should handle a hexacore fine, considering they build them to (usually) be able to handle the higher SKU 8/10 core chips. You'd need to check the compatability list for CPU support, for PCIe support all generations are backwards/forwards compatible (the only difference is bandwidth, you're going from higher>lower instead of vice versa so you'll have no issues). 

They don't actually have the CPU support list they refer you to up lmao, but on the specification tab it does say the board supports 10th/11th gen chips:

1424736519_ScreenShot2021-02-23at5_27_32PM.thumb.png.cbe5724582f05a5c06c2b2e297d590b6.png

Considering there isn't even a single BIOS update out for this board, I assume they mean this is out of the box. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

12 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

I don't know about the OC performance, but any decent OC board should handle a hexacore fine, considering they build them to (usually) be able to handle the higher SKU 8/10 core chips. You'd need to check the compatability list for CPU support, for PCIe support all generations are backwards/forwards compatible (the only difference is bandwidth, you're going from higher>lower instead of vice versa so you'll have no issues). 

They don't actually have the CPU support list they refer you to up lmao, but on the specification tab it does say the board supports 10th/11th gen chips:

1424736519_ScreenShot2021-02-23at5_27_32PM.thumb.png.cbe5724582f05a5c06c2b2e297d590b6.png

Considering there isn't even a single BIOS update out for this board, I assume they mean this is out of the box. 

You are most likely correct.

The z490 board was known for being a great oc board, so I cant imagine that it would be worse, But I am also skeptical as there are not many reviews of the board out there yet, and I want to make sure there aren't any blaring issues on the board, like bad capacitors or something like that.

One other thing that confused me is, when a new chipset is released, should the last gen chipset boards get cheaper?

the z490 went up in price by around 40 usd which is the complete opposite of what I would expect.

1 minute ago, OwayBaway said:

The z490 board was known for being a great oc board, so I cant imagine that it would be worse, But I am also skeptical as there are not many reviews of the board out there yet, and I want to make sure there aren't any blaring issues on the board, like bad capacitors or something like that.

Yeah that's the problem, you can never tell if a company decide to skate by on the good reputation of the last gen boards and skimp this time, pretty annoying. 

2 minutes ago, OwayBaway said:

One other thing that confused me is, when a new chipset is released, should the last gen chipset boards get cheaper?

the z490 went up in price by around 40 usd which is the complete opposite of what I would expect.

I think it depends on stock, retailers typically leave prices the same or hike em massively on new old stock, I don't know exactly why.

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

55 minutes ago, OwayBaway said:

I was planning on buying the z490 elite but because of price changes the z590 elite is cheaper, should i get the 590, is it as good or better for overclocking?

and also will it be compatible with an i5 10600kf without a bios update?

edit: also can i use pcie gen 3 for my gpu?

Iirc the z590 might be marginally better, but for a 10600kf the z490 aorus elite is overkill already. Like a z490-A pro would probably do the trick. 

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

Motherboard Tier List                   How many watts do I need?
Best B550 Motherboards             Best Intel Z490 Motherboards

PC Troubleshooting                      You don't need a big PSU

PSU Tier List                                Common pc building mistakes 
PC BUILD Guide! (POV)              How to Overclock your CPU 

3 minutes ago, Brok3n But who cares? said:

Iirc the z590 might be marginally better, but for a 10600kf the z490 aorus elite is overkill already. Like a z490-A pro would probably do the trick. 

I know it is overkill but i am looking for aesthetics and a good quality board bc I am not planning to upgrade for like 4 years and I want to try to get a good oc,

4 minutes ago, OwayBaway said:

I know it is overkill but i am looking for aesthetics and a good quality board bc I am not planning to upgrade for like 4 years and I want to try to get a good oc,

Either board won't be bottlenecking your overclocking unless you get unfathomably lucky with your silicon. Both are generally high-quality, aesthetics are subjective. It'd be more about your cooling solution or silicon. Also, This board will only have support for 10th/11th gen chips, so it's going to be a dead platform quite soon, so you won't be upgrading the CPU to anything past a 11900k or whatever while still using this motherboard years down the line

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

Motherboard Tier List                   How many watts do I need?
Best B550 Motherboards             Best Intel Z490 Motherboards

PC Troubleshooting                      You don't need a big PSU

PSU Tier List                                Common pc building mistakes 
PC BUILD Guide! (POV)              How to Overclock your CPU