Chromebook charger safe for an s20+?

Kade b
2 minutes ago, Kade b said:

I have this chromebook https://www.google.com/intl/en_au/chromebook/device/lenovo-ideapadflex-3/ and I am woundering if I can use its 45watt charger to safely charge my s20+. I don’t know from what I have searched the max the s20+ is 25watt and the charger is 45watt but not 100% sure and wanted to double check. Thanks!

You can overamp the charger, but overvoltage will burn things out. So that's the key thing here, what voltage rating is the charger, and the laptop spec'd for?

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

28 minutes ago, Kade b said:

I have this chromebook https://www.google.com/intl/en_au/chromebook/device/lenovo-ideapadflex-3/ and I am woundering if I can use its 45watt charger to safely charge my s20+. I don’t know from what I have searched the max the s20+ is 25watt and the charger is 45watt but not 100% sure and wanted to double check. Thanks!

Both are USB-C, right? If so, then sure, no problems.

Your S20+ will pull a max of 25W out of the charger, doesn't matter if it's 45 or 100W.

23 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

You can overamp the charger, but overvoltage will burn things out. So that's the key thing here, what voltage rating is the charger, and the laptop spec'd for?

If we're talking about USB-PD, then the device and charger should negotiate a common voltage that works for both. Baseline is 5v at startup and they there's the whole handshake thing to get higher voltages and currents.

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

2 minutes ago, igormp said:

Both are USB-C, right? If so, then sure, no problems.

Your S20+ will pull a max of 25W out of the charger, doesn't matter if it's 45 or 100W.

If we're talking about USB-PD, then the device and charger should negotiate a common voltage that works for both. Baseline is 5v at startup and they there's the whole handshake thing to get higher voltages and currents.

Yeah both inputs to charge the devices are usb-c

1 hour ago, Kade b said:

Yeah both inputs to charge the devices are usb-c

Then no need to worry, I charge my chromebook with my phone charger sometimes (it's really slow, but works), and have charged my s10e with my chromebook's charge many times.

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga