Can’t seem to drain EKWB FLT res/pump

vrod

Hi all,

doing my first hard tubing

loop and decided to run pure distilled water for a leak test. Leak test ran fine and now I wanna get the distilled water out so I can put in the real coolant. Issue is though, I cannot seem to drain the loop somehow..

Case is a phanteks evolv x and I am using a Kinetic flt 120mm res/pump combo which sits in the bottom front. Only water that came out was from the res itself, from the loop, nothing is coming out.

looked at the manual but there’s no notes about draining. Used to run separate res and pump before, draining was not an issue there. Would anyone have an idea, perhaps I overlooked something? Image attached.

Thanks!

Chris

2C5C2F1B-291C-4E3C-87D9-BE2A581FE47A.jpeg

Likely to be air locked or lack of a proper flow pattern, photo of overall loop would be helpful, the drain is likely just in a bad place. Any U shaped bends will not drain by gravity

8 minutes ago, vrod said:

Hi all,

doing my first hard tubing

loop and decided to run pure distilled water for a leak test. Leak test ran fine and now I wanna get the distilled water out so I can put in the real coolant. Issue is though, I cannot seem to drain the loop somehow..

Case is a phanteks evolv x and I am using a Kinetic flt 120mm res/pump combo which sits in the bottom front. Only water that came out was from the res itself, from the loop, nothing is coming out.

looked at the manual but there’s no notes about draining. Used to run separate res and pump before, draining was not an issue there. Would anyone have an idea, perhaps I overlooked something? Image attached.

Thanks!

Chris

There will always be a small amount due to the channeling since it's essentially a trap for water as you can see in the photo. It's a non consequential amount of water and won't be an issue when adding in coolant. if it's a concentrate just mix the concentrate with what I would guess at most being 30mL less of distilled. 

Image result for Kinetic flt 120mm res/pump comb

Here’s the pics. For whatever reason I confused the inlet/outlet so I have to swap those two. Already had the liquid in, so just decided to do the leak test for the “other”.

image.jpg

image.jpg

17 hours ago, vrod said:

Here’s the pics. For whatever reason I confused the inlet/outlet so I have to swap those two. Already had the liquid in, so just decided to do the leak test for the “other”.

You are going to need to open up a second opening for the air circulate into the loop -- ideally a high point in the loop (or a second port on the res).

Usually, open up the "fill" port, and the "Drain" port.

There is a vacuum in the loop, and you need a second opening to "relieve" the vacuum.

Like plugging one end of a drinking straw with your finger.

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>