Overpriced GPUs?

podkall

So the GPUs are overpriced very obviously..

My curious mind wonders if like prebuilt systems with same GPUs that are overpriced, are overpriced with them?

Note: Users receive notifications after Mentions & Quotes. 

Feel free to ask any questions regarding my comments/build lists. I know a lot about PCs but not everything.

PC:

Ryzen 5 5600 |16GB DDR4 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

PCs I used before:

Pentium G4500 | 4GB/8GB DDR4 2133Mhz | H110 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz / OC:4Ghz | 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz / 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz | 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

Surprisingly no, not always. Some system builders have custom PC's on sale for less then you can build them yourself (due to insane market pricing). If you need an entirely new build, its honestly not that bad of an option.

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

4 minutes ago, Orangeator said:

Surprisingly no, not always. Some system builders have custom PC's on sale for less then you can build them yourself (due to insane market pricing). If you need an entirely new build, its honestly not that bad of an option.

Cool, maybe you could help a guy in "Should I buy a pre-built or build my own Pc?" thread in New Builds and Planning category..

We already told him the basics.

Feel free to ask any questions regarding my comments/build lists. I know a lot about PCs but not everything.

PC:

PCs I used before:

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz / OC:4Ghz | 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz / 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1050

11 minutes ago, podkall said:

So the GPUs are overpriced very obviously..

My curious mind wonders if like prebuilt systems with same GPUs that are overpriced, are overpriced with them?

Prebuilders usually still get their cards at or near MSRP. Usually they'll just mark up their GPUs to a point where it's attractive for consumers to buy these cards with a prebuilt system rather than get scalped from another 3rd party for them, and attract tons of customers. They're still scalping you, but they can be the better option. 

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

Motherboard Tier List                   How many watts do I need?
Best B550 Motherboards             Best Intel Z490 Motherboards

PC Troubleshooting                      You don't need a big PSU

PSU Tier List                                Common pc building mistakes 
PC BUILD Guide! (POV)              How to Overclock your CPU 

4 minutes ago, Brok3n But who cares? said:

Prebuilders usually still get their cards at or near MSRP. Usually they'll just mark up their GPUs to a point where it's attractive for consumers to buy these cards with a prebuilt system rather than get scalped from another 3rd party for them, and attract tons of customers. They're still scalping you, but they can be the better option. 

So they might be doing business, but it's more of a business and less of a literal scam..

PC:

PCs I used before:

3 minutes ago, podkall said:

So they might be doing business, but it's more of a business and less of a literal scam..

Oh no, they scam you a lot of the time, they have no problems with doing that. They're basically balancing how much they scalp for these components and number of consumers that they gain/loose by raising/lowering the prices. They're basically trying to find the values that'll provide the highest revenue figures for them. 

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

Just now, Brok3n But who cares? said:

Oh no, they scam you a lot of the time, they have no problems with doing that. They're basically balancing how much they scalp for these components and number of consumers that they gain/loose by raising/lowering the prices. They're basically trying to find the values that mean the highest revenue figures for them. 

Still better than paying 2x or perhaps? 3x the price of a GPU?

PC:

PCs I used before:

13 minutes ago, podkall said:

Still better than paying 2x or perhaps? 3x the price of a GPU?

People are paying the ridiculous mark ups being offered by scalpers anyway, aren't they?

6 minutes ago, Maury Sells Wigs said:

People are paying the ridiculous mark ups being offered by scalpers anyway, aren't they?

Well I mean it's easy to check if the individual raw components combined aren't cheaper than the pre-build...

PC:

PCs I used before:

Depends on the vendor, but right now prebuilts probably make a lot of sense, especially when it comes to ones from Dell that use OEM cards.

On 2/21/2021 at 12:13 PM, Brok3n But who cares? said:

No, they're not scalping people. Just because you learned a new word recently doesn't mean you can go applying it to things it doesn't belong to.

On 2/21/2021 at 12:20 PM, Brok3n But who cares? said:

Oh no, they scam you a lot of the time, they have no problems with doing that. They're basically balancing how much they scalp for these components and number of consumers that they gain/loose by raising/lowering the prices. They're basically trying to find the values that'll provide the highest revenue figures for them. 

So they're operating a business. Or do you not understand how that works?

On 2/21/2021 at 12:42 PM, podkall said:

Well I mean it's easy to check if the individual raw components combined aren't cheaper than the pre-build...

There's more to it than simple component cost. There's warranty, ease of replacement, build costs, etc. Just like you can't look at the BOM cost when figuring out what it cost to make a phone.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

19 hours ago, dizmo said:

No, they're not scalping people. Just because you learned a new word recently doesn't mean you can go applying it to things it doesn't belong to.

Respectfully disagree, there's a lot that goes on and addressing a broad topic like that is more of a matter of opinion rather than fact. Guess I should've been more specific, but hey, what can you do now? 

Also, you might want to go and check out the community standards, it seems like quite a interesting post... 

Just now, Brok3n But who cares? said:

Respectfully disagree, there's a lot that goes on and addressing a broad topic like that is more of a matter of opinion rather than fact. Guess I should've been more specific, but hey, what can you do now? 

Also, you might want to go and check out the community standards, it seems like quite a interesting post... 

Last time I checked asking questions isn't against the community standards.

You can disagree, it doesn't make you right. It's not scalping. If that's scalping, so is every single other product on the market.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

21 hours ago, dizmo said:

And just because you don't mind paying the scalper prices doesn't mean you need to be a dick to someone else about it.

Really, the community guidelines is a nice read.

The "its just business excuse".

The companies are letting the scalpers control the market, its essentially scalping the consumer before a product even gets to the retailer that are also jacking up the prices.

There's more to it than simple component cost. There's warranty, ease of replacement, build costs, etc. Just like you can't look at the BOM cost when figuring out what it cost to make a phone.

Even with warranty and build costs it definitely doesn't cost $1000 to make a phone. It shouldn't cost $2000 to build a system with a RTX 3070 in it that has the cheapest generic RGB case, stock cooler, low end motherboard, and some random cheap PSU.

Just now, Blademaster91 said:

And just because you don't mind paying the scalper prices doesn't mean you need to be a dick to someone else about it.

Really, the community guidelines is a nice read.

The "its just business excuse".

The companies are letting the scalpers control the market, its essentially scalping the consumer before a product even gets to the retailer that are also jacking up the prices.

Even with warranty and build costs it definitely doesn't cost $1000 to make a phone. It shouldn't cost $2000 to build a system with a RTX 3070 in it that has the cheapest generic RGB case, stock cooler, low end motherboard, and some random cheap PSU.

If you're going to chime in, maybe understand what you're talking about first.

The scalpers was in reference to him saying that stores that sell prebuilts and charge a little extra are scalping the cards. Not buying cards from scalpers.

The business part was how companies buy products for x, assemble the PC, and provide services such as warranty (which can include shipping to and from, etc) and then charge a slight premium for said service.

Where did you come up with the $2,000 price? Or were you just pulling the number out of thin air? Kind of irrelevant when no one's talking about a specific system.

No, it doesn't cost that much to make a phone, but marketing, R&D, etc sure costs money. That's all factored into the bottom line.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

1 hour ago, dizmo said:

You can disagree, it doesn't make you right. It's not scalping. If that's scalping, so is every single other product on the market.

1. In major retailers Ampere cards are still being sold at or near MSRP, in other places too. So not exactly every other product on the market.

2. That's kind of what's going on. Main reason why the prices are so high relative to the MSRP? 3rd parties purchased the cards at or near MSRP and used things such as bots to give them an edge over normal consumers trying to purchase a GPU, and sold them for ever-higher prices. Scalpers enabled companies to push up their prices further than would've happened otherwise, and artificially reduced stock, in a sense. Sure, you can make the argument that the Consumer decides the value of the product, but don't forget the original outcry of most consumers when they were shoved into this situation. This is mostly the consumers resigning themselves to the situation. MSRPs are the same, and most consumers might not think that the product is more valuable than that, but are forced into buying at inflated prices anyways, for various reasons. So is the consumer deciding the value of the product? Technically, yes, but there's more implications than that. 

These businesses are taking products and selling them at a higher price, obviously that's to be expected when accounting for the expenses of that company, and their profit margins- However, In most situations right now they've seen that other 3rd parties-such as individuals with bots- were/are selling cards at a higher price than what they were purchased for (scalping), and raise their own prices because the public is more willing to consider more expensive options. Scalpers artificially inflated prices. Yes, By definition that's how a business works essentially, higher revenue than expenses, yeah, but this takes it a step further than that, where the business is already likely making more than it expends, but it decides to take advantage of an artificially inflated market to raise their own prices. Not at all a scummy move by you, Not at all scalping? 

With those two walls of texts at the very minimum I hope I explained that at least the situation is somewhat based on opinion.

Last time I checked asking questions isn't against the community standards.

This is my interpretation, It's obviously subjective: 

Untitled.thumb.png.65d039ac6f983ecf7709000a63d8304f.pngUntitled.thumb.png.ab6e1011bf539ff04ed481ee32099e8c.png