Why are people buying 5600x for gaming?!

Big-Boy

AMD has improved their 5000 series CPUs significantly. Huge gains in single core performance and all around a better gaming experience than last gen. But i really can't accept the price (assuming you can get it at msrp). The R5 5600x is 300$. An i7 10700 is cheaper now with 2 more cores. I just got i7 10700f for 230$ and a 10700kf for 285$. Better performance and a cheaper price with 2 more cores. Why are people paying over MSRP for the 5600x?

Because it is in fact better in gaming performance than any Intel CPU. But everyone has to decide for themself if they rather have 8 cores with the 10700K for the same price. The core count does not mean much for gaming. The core performance is much more important.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

The i7 10700 is also slower, not overclockable, and it doesn't have hyperthreading. 

Main PC:

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X • Noctua NH-D15 • MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk • 2x8GB G.skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16 • MSI VENTUS 3X GeForce RTX 3070 OC • Samsung 970 Evo 1TB • Samsung 860 Evo 1TB • Cosair iCUE 465X RGB • Corsair RMx 750W (White)

Peripherals/Other:

ASUS VG27AQ • G PRO K/DA • G502 Hero K/DA • G733 K/DA • G840 K/DA • Oculus Quest 2 • Nintendo Switch (Rev. 2)

Laptop (Dell XPS 13):

Intel Core i7-1195G7 • Intel Iris Xe Graphics • 16GB LPDDR4x 4267MHz • 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD • 13.4" OLED 3.5K InfinityEdge Display (3456x2160, 400nit, touch). 

Got any questions about my system or peripherals? Feel free to tag me (@bellabichon) and I'll be happy to give you my two cents. 

PSA: Posting a PCPartPicker list with no explanation isn't helpful for first-time builders :)

1 minute ago, Stahlmann said:

Because it is in fact better in gaming performance than any Intel CPU. But everyone has to decide for themself if they rather have 8 cores with the 10700K for the same price.

Could you please post the benchmarks or whatever method or source you got that says the 5600x is better.

3 minutes ago, bellabichon said:

The i7 10700 is also slower, not overclockable, and it doesn't have hyperthreading. 

It has hyperthreading, like any 10th gen Intel Core CPU. Your point on slower and not overclockable still stands though.

2 minutes ago, Big-Boy said:

Could you please post the benchmarks or whatever method or source you got that says the 5600x is better.

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X CPU Review & Benchmarks - New Gaming Best, & Workstation, Power - YouTube

6-core Gaming Beast, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Review vs. 3700X/10600K - YouTube

Remember this day… - AMD Ryzen 5000 Series - YouTube

AMD 5600X vs Intel 10700k - Mid Range CPU Battle! - YouTube

I also have my own experience as i have a 5600X myself.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

2 minutes ago, bellabichon said:

I think it does have hyperthreading

7 minutes ago, Big-Boy said:

I think it does have hyperthreading

7 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

It has hyperthreading, like any 10th gen Intel Core CPU. Your point on slower and not overclockable still stands though.

Oop, my bad then. I thought I had read somewhere that Hyperthreading was reserved for the i9s. Must've read it wrong. :old-tongue:

Main PC:

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X • Noctua NH-D15 • MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk • 2x8GB G.skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16 • MSI VENTUS 3X GeForce RTX 3070 OC • Samsung 970 Evo 1TB • Samsung 860 Evo 1TB • Cosair iCUE 465X RGB • Corsair RMx 750W (White)

Peripherals/Other:

ASUS VG27AQ • G PRO K/DA • G502 Hero K/DA • G733 K/DA • G840 K/DA • Oculus Quest 2 • Nintendo Switch (Rev. 2)

Laptop (Dell XPS 13):

Intel Core i7-1195G7 • Intel Iris Xe Graphics • 16GB LPDDR4x 4267MHz • 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD • 13.4" OLED 3.5K InfinityEdge Display (3456x2160, 400nit, touch). 

Got any questions about my system or peripherals? Feel free to tag me (@bellabichon) and I'll be happy to give you my two cents. 

PSA: Posting a PCPartPicker list with no explanation isn't helpful for first-time builders :)

2 minutes ago, bellabichon said:

Oop, my bad then. I thought I had read somewhere that Hyperthreading was reserved for the i9s. Must've read it wrong. :old-tongue:

That was the case with the 8th and 9th gen.

12 minutes ago, bellabichon said:

You've been Ryzenized for far too long.

25 minutes ago, Big-Boy said:

I just got i7 10700f for 230$ and a 10700kf for 285$.

Because there's nothing Intel can do to keep competitive but slashing the price.

They are bulldozed in the market share, let's look will 11th gen can save them for a moment till Ryzen 6000 arrive with 25% ICP uplift!

https://hothardware.com/news/amd-zen-4-ryzen-6000-cpus-25-percent-ipc-lift

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

1 minute ago, SupaKomputa said:

You've been Ryzenized for far too long.

Because there's nothing Intel can do to keep competitive but slashing the price.

They are bulldozed in the market share, let's look will 11th gen can save them for a moment till Ryzen 6000 arrive with 25% ICP uplift!

https://hothardware.com/news/amd-zen-4-ryzen-6000-cpus-25-percent-ipc-lift

well intels alder lake is also a beast it will also have an ipc boost of AT LEAST 20%

if it was useful give it a like :) btw if your into linux pay a visit here

31 minutes ago, Big-Boy said:

AMD has improved their 5000 series CPUs significantly. Huge gains in single core performance and all around a better gaming experience than last gen. But i really can't accept the price (assuming you can get it at msrp). The R5 5600x is 300$. An i7 10700 is cheaper now with 2 more cores. I just got i7 10700f for 230$ and a 10700kf for 285$. Better performance and a cheaper price with 2 more cores. Why are people paying over MSRP for the 5600x?

I've recently started to think the same thing, I think it is a choice thing and looking at what you need more out of your computer, personally I would go for an intel currently because for the first time in years they are cheaper per core, but as other people said for plain gaming cores isn't everything.

5 minutes ago, mahyar said:

well intels alder lake is also a beast it will also have an ipc boost of AT LEAST 20%

Like with Zen3 before it's release, wait for reviews to confirm how much this will actually impact performance. If the chips consume 250W of power to overcome a 65W CPU from AMD than that's not really that competitive imo.

2 minutes ago, mahyar said:

I'm sure alder lake gonna be a beast. It's gonna be a great year for the consumer (not talking about gpu).

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

40 minutes ago, Big-Boy said:

I'm not sure.

I see people swearing it's undeniably better than intel for gaming. But all the real world benchmarks I saw on youtube show AMD as either being maybe 5 fps ahead, 5 FPS behind intel, or LARGELY behind intel in games like RDR2. This is also coupled with a very high over MSRP price for the ryzen while intel prices are either MSRP or slightly below MSRP.

Now I'm not a fanboy of either, and I wanted to go AMD at first for this generation, but the price to performance ratio just isn't there. Furthermore, rocket lake is next month which may again overtake AMD while being at the same price or even cheaper depending on supply and demand.

31 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X CPU Review & Benchmarks - New Gaming Best, & Workstation, Power - YouTube

Wow. I've looked at them. It's really weird. Am getting mixed results. My friend has a 10700k and a 5600x and benchmarked them for gaming at 1440p. The i7 was at least 5% better. And the i7 gets better gaming performance here as well https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-10700K-vs-AMD-Ryzen-5-5600X/4070vs4084. And i personally think getting an 8 core cpu is the safe choice for the future. A few years ago 4 cores was the sweet spot not 6 and its only logical that 8 cores will be the sweet spot in the future.

2 minutes ago, Rym said:

I see people swearing it's undeniably better than intel for gaming. But all the real world benchmarks I saw on youtube show AMD as either being maybe 5 fps ahead, 5 FPS behind intel, or LARGELY behind intel in games like RDR2. This is also coupled with a very high over MSRP price for the ryzen while intel prices are either MSRP or slightly below MSRP.

And in some games it's largely ahead.

image.thumb.png.2907039129054a94706d400512e266e4.png

5 hours ago, Big-Boy said:

And i personally think getting an 8 core cpu is the safe choice for the future. A few years ago 4 cores was the sweet spot not 6 and its only logical that 8 cores will be the sweet spot in the future.

In terms of gaming the sweet spot has not much to do with core count. The reason why 4c/8t CPUs don't compare so good today is because they also use older and slower indiviual core designs. The 5600X for example will still be the better gaming CPU than a 3700X in 5 years because it simply has faster cores.

People need to get away from the assumption that core counts are the most important thing.

Another thing is with the prices right now in the UK you can get the i9-10900F for less than £10 more than the Ryzen 5 5600x, I don't see how the 5600x is much better, but at the end of the day both the prices are way out of my price range.

2 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

You are right. But its not a realistic use case. Most people will play it 1440/2160p

3 minutes ago, Big-Boy said:

You are right. But its not a realistic use case. Most people will play it 1440/2160p

What? CS:GO is mostly played at 1080 OR LOWER and on competitive settings (mostly low quality). So realistically the CPU bottleneck will become bigger and bigger.

Who the heck plays CS:GO at 4K? (Other than me because i don't care about being competitive)

To be clear, i'm also not an AMD fanboy just because i have one myself. Frankly, if Intel would have a better gaming CPU under 400€ i'd probably have that one instead of my 5600X.

4 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

Yeah I just checked again. While in some games it's largely ahead, in some games it's largely behind and causes stutters and issues (warzone example). But anyway rocket lake is coming next month so it doesn't really matter. If AMD fixes their CPU issues and ryzen is better than rocket lake while being cheaper ofc I'd buy that instead.

Just now, Stahlmann said:

What? CS:GO is mostly played at 1080 OR LOWER and on competitive settings. So realistically the CPU bottleneck will become bigger and bigger.

Who the heck plays CS:GO at 4K? (Other than me because i don't care about being competitive)

The question is who is in their right mind will buy a 5600x for CS:GO??? It will run on anything. And competitive games are all easy to run even on old hardware

2 minutes ago, Rym said:

Yeah I just checked again. While in some games it's largely ahead, in some games it's largely behind and causes stutters and issues (warzone example). But anyway rocket lake is coming next month so it doesn't really matter. If AMD fixes their CPU issues and ryzen is better than rocket lake while being cheaper ofc I'd buy that instead.

This pretty much sums up where these CPUs sit.

image.thumb.png.ea53b71595d724b51e65d2e384439089.png

1 minute ago, Big-Boy said:

The question is who is in their right mind will buy a 5600x for CS:GO??? It will run on anything. And competitive games are all easy to run even on old hardware

High level competetive players will do anything to get better. It doesn't matter if it's the 100 or 200 FPS more from a CPU upgrade or paying $1000 for a 360Hz monitor. Or maybe even splurging on a 4000Hz mouse or 2000Hz keyboard.

50 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

The i7 10700k is ahead of the 5600x here: https://youtu.be/JSwe1cOkZbY why is that?