How does TechPowerUp's 'Relative Performance' work?

da na
Go to solution Solved by Fasauceome,

They have an internal testing suite that they compare data with. Though I never trust aggregate data sites for particularly accurate data, all you could surmise is that the 970 has almost the same performance as a 570 across their specific tests.

12 minutes ago, wat3rmelon_man2 said:

but has a performance of 2 TFLOPS lower?

Teraflops aren't a good indicator of overall graphics performance.

The 'Relative Performance' section on TechPowerUp is something i'm sure we've all seen.

image.png.26478c566cf0a589d4b35b7dcb4a9a98.png

I am wondering how ratings are based and how the scale works. Until today I thought it was based on the card's FLoating point Operations Per Second (FLOPS), but today is also the day I discovered that the GTX 970 is ranked 3% higher than the RX 570 but has a performance of 2 TFLOPS lower?

Any clues on how this works would be great!

11 minutes ago, wat3rmelon_man2 said:

The 'Relative Performance' section on TechPowerUp is something i'm sure we've all seen.

image.png.26478c566cf0a589d4b35b7dcb4a9a98.png

I am wondering how ratings are based and how the scale works. Until today I thought it was based on the card's FLoating point Operations Per Second (FLOPS), but today is also the day I discovered that the GTX 970 is ranked 3% higher than the RX 570 but has a performance of 2 TFLOPS lower?

Any clues on how this works would be great!

Judging by the subtext on that image there, it appears to be using "TPU" data using an RX 570 as a 100% baseline

My profile picure is real. That's what I look like in real life. I'm actually a blue and white African Wild Dog.

Ryzen 9 5900X - MSI Ventus 2x OC 3060 Ti - 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz CL16 - ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/ax

EVGA CLC 280 + 2x140mm NF-A14 - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB + WD Black SN750 1TB - Windows 11/10 - EVGA Supernova G3 1000W

It says at the bottom "Based on TPU review data: "Performance Summary" at 1920x1080, 4k for 2080 TI and faster." 
Tech Power Up does card reviews with benchmarks, etc, it's likely compared to the other cards at 1080p, and 4k for the 2080ti or faster.

Just now, DaJakerBoss said:

Judging by the subtext on that image there, it appears to be using "TPU" data using an RX 570 as a 100% baseline

570 isn't always the baseline, OP was just looking at the 570, the card the user is comparing will always be 100%

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

They have an internal testing suite that they compare data with. Though I never trust aggregate data sites for particularly accurate data, all you could surmise is that the 970 has almost the same performance as a 570 across their specific tests.

12 minutes ago, wat3rmelon_man2 said:

but has a performance of 2 TFLOPS lower?

Teraflops aren't a good indicator of overall graphics performance.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Techpowerup also usually uses the fe versions or amd stock versions if available. FE and AMD stock cards had horrible coolers before 3000 and 6000 series and could be double digit % slower than custom cards with good coolers.