New to unRAID - newb question!

CeePeeBee
Go to solution Solved by PatrikYT_98,
39 minutes ago, CeePeeBee said:

Hi guys,

Grabbed myself an old N54L microserver as I had a few drives sitting around, and thought I'd dabble in unRAID.

So, I have a 250GB SSD which I'll use for cache, and then I have:

• 1 x 6TB
  • 2 x 4TB
  • 1 x 1TB

My plan was to use 6TB as parity drive, and through the rest in (all 7200rpm).

My question is, am I right in thinking that I'd get the full usable space, as I would in a JBOD, of the 2 x 4TB and 1 x 1TB drives (9TB), and the 6TB would be used for parity, as would be the case in a striped array?

You will get 9TB

Hi guys,

Grabbed myself an old N54L microserver as I had a few drives sitting around, and thought I'd dabble in unRAID.

• 1 x 6TB
  • 2 x 4TB
  • 1 x 1TB

My question is, am I right in thinking that I'd get the full usable space, as I would in a JBOD, of the 2 x 4TB and 1 x 1TB drives (9TB), and the 6TB would be used for parity, as would be the case in a striped array?

39 minutes ago, CeePeeBee said:

Hi guys,

• 1 x 6TB
  • 2 x 4TB
  • 1 x 1TB

You will get 9TB

29 minutes ago, PatrikYT_98 said:

You will get 9TB

Thanks for that - quick follow up.

If I have to add a new disk to that array, will it just "add". It won't have to change the parity disk again, because that takes an age!

1 hour ago, CeePeeBee said:

If I have to add a new disk to that array, will it just "add". It won't have to change the parity disk again, because that takes an age!

It's been a while since I added a drive on unraid, but from memory it will have to "clear" the new drive. Since the data on the new drive is unknown, it would mess up the parity data, so the fix to that is unraid will zero the drive for you when it is added. This should be faster than having to recalculate the same amount of parity data.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible