How to undervolt my GPU.

Ero

Hello.

I bought the cheapest rtx 2060 I could find a few months ago before gpu shortage reach this stage but it was already begin and even though it have 2 fans I think they cheap out on paste and it is reaching 80-83 degree under full load.

This is a temporary gpu so I don't want to open it but when I tried to undervolt it in msi after burner core voltage part is not active, is there anyway else to undervolt my gpu?

Its model is Arktek rtx 2060 and I'm using it on a x570 board.

9 minutes ago, Ero said:

Hello.

I bought the cheapest rtx 2060 I could find a few months ago before gpu shortage reach this stage but it was already begin and even though it have 2 fans I think they cheap out on paste and it is reaching 80-83 degree under full load.

This is a temporary gpu so I don't want to open it but when I tried to undervolt it in msi after burner core voltage part is not active, is there anyway else to undervolt my gpu?

The cooler itself isn't that amazing but 80-83 C under load is fine on graphics cards. Replacing the paste is easily enough and could lower temps a bit, so could adjusting the fan curve in MSI Afterburner. I'd not mess with voltages on an unknown brand card without a reference point from someone. Again, those temps are completely safe. 

49 minutes ago, Ero said:

Hello.

you need to unlock voltage control in Afterburner, then press ctrl + F that opens the curve.  try doing something like this. Start at around 900mv or so... unknown-34.png.9a2fa7b1c74448baa49693c392ec0afd.png

and then you need to test it with something like heaven benchmark. 

if it isn't stable adjust the curve accordingly - that may be a bit tricky but generally it's really easy and brings temps down a lot. 

I recently did it for the first time, performance actually went up! cause temps are lower it'll keep boost longer (indefinitely it would seem) 

20210216_015801.thumb.jpg.06157d6ee8fd25e8f56f99978d0965cc.jpg

RTX 3070, keeps boost at around 1950 MHz, temps around 55c, voltage is very low around 750mv, you'll probably end up around 900mv though, which is still fine, but you have to experiment and find that out with your card obviously. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

7 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

you need to unlock voltage control in Afterburner, then press ctrl + F that opens the curve.  try doing something like this. Start at around 900mv or so... unknown-34.png.9a2fa7b1c74448baa49693c392ec0afd.png

and then you need to test it with something like heaven benchmark. 

if it isn't stable adjust the curve accordingly - that may be a bit tricky but generally it's really easy and brings temps down a lot. 

I recently did it for the first time, performance actually went up! cause temps are lower it'll keep boost longer (indefinitely it would seem) 

20210216_015801.thumb.jpg.06157d6ee8fd25e8f56f99978d0965cc.jpg

RTX 3070, keeps boost at around 1950 MHz, temps around 55c, voltage is very low around 750mv, you'll probably end up around 900mv though, which is still fine, but you have to experiment and find that out with your card obviously. 

Thanks for your awesome answer but it seems msi afterburner simply doesn't support voltage control from unknown brands.

I checked unlock voltage and did some research but couldn't active it. For now I just limit my gpu to 85% of its power so its temp should be around 70 degree.

9 hours ago, Ero said:

Thanks for your awesome answer but it seems msi afterburner simply doesn't support voltage control from unknown brands.

I checked unlock voltage and did some research but couldn't active it. For now I just limit my gpu to 85% of its power so its temp should be around 70 degree.

no problem... I thought that might could be an issue, yeah. But did you try to actually press ctrl + F while in Afterburner, im not actually sure voltage control needs to be unlocked for the curve editor to work, although it is likely. 

Otherwise yeah, power limiting should achieve almost the same. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity