Does Twitch copyright strike you if you live-stream with non-royalty free music?

I am looking at getting into streaming. I had a friend that used to stream popular music all the time whilst playing and there was never any problems (no strikes or anything) and only the sound of the live-stream on play back (VOD) was muted at the copyrighted music parts when it was playing.

So is this still the same or can you no longer use any copyright music at all to livestream even if you don't care about the VOD?

Hopefully I'm making sense.

Any other beginner tips for Twitch would be great. It is scary going into a crowded place starting at pure zero.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 16-core 5950X

CPU Cooler: Artic Freezer 2 AIO 360mm Radiator

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming

Memory: 32GB (2x16GB) G.Skill Trident Z Royal 3600 MHz CL16

GPU: Nvidia RTX 4080 MSI Ventus 3X 16GB GDDR6X

Storage OS: 500GB Samsung 980 Pro Gen4 M.2 NVme SSD

Storage Games: 2TB Corsair MP600 Gen4 M.2 NVme SSD + 2TB Samsung 860 Evo SSD + 500GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD

Storage Misc: 2TB Seagate Barracuda Compute 7200 RPM

PSU: Corsair HX Platinum 1000W 80+

Case: Fractal Design Meshify S2 ATX Mid Tower

Monitor: Dell Alienware AW3423DW 175Hz 1ms 3440p (widescreen) HDR400 OLED panel 34"  + Asus PG258Q 240Hz 1ms 1080p G-Sync TN panel 24.5"

1 minute ago, Not Wills said:

i think they have something with spotify on that, but they will strike you if its "copyrighted", in a nutshell it depends but i wouldnt risk it.

Ah that sucks. Really wanted to stream with my favourite music on in the background and just relax.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 16-core 5950X

CPU Cooler: Artic Freezer 2 AIO 360mm Radiator

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming

Memory: 32GB (2x16GB) G.Skill Trident Z Royal 3600 MHz CL16

GPU: Nvidia RTX 4080 MSI Ventus 3X 16GB GDDR6X

Storage OS: 500GB Samsung 980 Pro Gen4 M.2 NVme SSD

Storage Games: 2TB Corsair MP600 Gen4 M.2 NVme SSD + 2TB Samsung 860 Evo SSD + 500GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD

Storage Misc: 2TB Seagate Barracuda Compute 7200 RPM

PSU: Corsair HX Platinum 1000W 80+

Case: Fractal Design Meshify S2 ATX Mid Tower

Monitor: Dell Alienware AW3423DW 175Hz 1ms 3440p (widescreen) HDR400 OLED panel 34"  + Asus PG258Q 240Hz 1ms 1080p G-Sync TN panel 24.5"

14 minutes ago, Actual_Criminal said:

I am looking at getting into streaming. I had a friend that used to stream popular music all the time whilst playing and there was never any problems (no strikes or anything) and only the sound of the live-stream on play back (VOD) was muted at the copyrighted music parts when it was playing.

So is this still the same or can you no longer use any copyright music at all to livestream even if you don't care about the VOD?

Hopefully I'm making sense.

Any other beginner tips for Twitch would be great. It is scary going into a crowded place starting at pure zero.

They have a pre-approved track list, I think, and anything outside of that is very murky.

A person was served a strike for music their mic picked up as they were walking past a shop - despite barely a second of the song playing on the shop radio being distinguishable.

That's how ridiculous it (has) got(ten).

As Not Wills suggested, the best bet is to play it safe or carefully review Twitch own T.O.S.

7 minutes ago, Maury Sells Wigs said:

They have a pre-approved track list, I think, and anything outside of that is very murky.

A person was served a strike for music their mic picked up as they were walking past a shop - despite barely a second of the song playing on the shop radio being distinguishable.

That's how ridiculous it (has) got(ten).

As Not Wills suggested, the best bet is to play it safe or carefully review Twitch own T.O.S.

You have some that even have a constant background noise playing (some song or anything) just to mess up the program from detecting it to prevent these accidents.

1 hour ago, jaslion said:

You have some that even have a constant background noise playing (some song or anything) just to mess up the program from detecting it to prevent these accidents.

Ahh, I did not know that.

I guess people have adapted...they always do.

-> Moved to Programs, Apps and Websites

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Since Summer DMCA has become a lot stricter. Previously you were able to stream pretty much whatever you wanted and only have the VOD muted. Now streaming any copyrighted music will probably lead to a channel strike. There are copyright-free alternatives, such as the official Twitch Soundtrack or professional ones like StreamBeats.