Buy a VR headset or wait?

phoon
Go to solution Solved by Treebsquire,
6 hours ago, phoon said:

Hey man! Alright so I did some digging, there seems to be a lot of rumors about higher refresh rate VR headsets. But that's not what put me off from buying right now. The problem is the game variety, the graphics and emersion levels. I personally think they have a long way to go. Give em 2 years and I think we should see another spike in VR popularity.

The industry just needs time and I need new hardware 🤣 if I were to run dual 1440p lenses at 240 fps (just giving an example).

For now I'll go through my steam library which is full of unplayed games.

Ha! Well that's true. Then again there's always new technology right around the corner. I suppose that's why something like the Rift S is lower risk as it's relatively cheap compared to most headsets and will probably hold it's value well second hand.

If you'd been playing VR from the offset then I could see your point about games but if you're completely new to VR, you're really spoilt for choice and there are loads of visually great games out there, with full length campaigns. Plus you tend to find that graphics aren't quite as important in VR because you feel like you're really there. I've been playing through all the half life games in VR lately and it's been incredible. I've just finished Half Life 2 and playing through one of my all time favorite games and feeling like I'm in the game is an experience I'll treasure forever.

BNSGQDc.gif

That's fair enough though if you want to hold off. It's not like all those games are going anywhere. There are likely to be some great new headsets in the next year and I can imagine PSVR2 is going to massively help boost the VR market.

On 2/17/2021 at 12:42 AM, Midevil Chaos said:

Uhm no. I never said anything about not having an FB account. Assuming you log in with your FB account for the VR device and allow FB to use your data like geo stuff and what not, what are you doing at that point? Giving them your location, the time spent where you are, allowing them to also get information in terms of the games you play and God know what other information we are unaware of.

Wtf... nevermind, don't bother replying to my replies.

Listen here tinfoil hat man, it won't do you good worrying about things like this. If you're afraid of being "brainwashed" by big tech companies than you're too late.

We're all already trapped in the matrix!

You don't understand how easy it is for companies to legally acquire your info, including your location, without having their apps installed on your device and without your direct consent.

My PC is a fast boyo:

6700K - 32GB - 1080 - 256GB EVO

^^You don't need more info than this right?^^

9 hours ago, phoon said:

Im just giving my opinion about an off topic which someone introduced to this thread. I never wanted to discuss FB privacy issues but here we are.

I wasn't talking about that. I actually agree with your opinion on the FB stuff. I was just annoyed that I'd written a detailed reponse to your original question and then you completely ignored it. Just found that to be quite rude but then again I guess that's just par for the course these days. To be honest, I wrote that last reponse after one too many bevvies. Joined the forum to try and combat lockdown mental fatigue and be more social and everyone I'd written responses to or tried to help on here just ignored me and I found it quite frustrating. Stupid to let crap like that get to me I know. 

4 hours ago, Treebsquire said:

I wasn't talking about that. I actually agree with your opinion on the FB stuff. I was just annoyed that I'd written a detailed reponse to your original question and then you completely ignored it. Just found that to be quite rude but then again I guess that's just par for the course these days. To be honest, I wrote that last reponse after one too many bevvies. Joined the forum to try and combat lockdown mental fatigue and be more social and everyone I'd written responses to or tried to help on here just ignored me and I found it quite frustrating. Stupid to let crap like that get to me I know. 

Two of those people, honestly, are just not worth listening to because they think they're just better than either of us. I'm just gonna ignore them (I mean legit ignore, as you can press an ignore button lol). People like that are not worth our time, imo. I have had some good experiences here, but  there are some people that just aren't worth the effort to argue with.

On 2/14/2021 at 5:30 PM, phoon said:

Hey guys,

I need a second opinion before I decide on anything. So I'm thinking of buying a valve index but some people are saying the HP reverb g3 would be a better choice.

I'm not even sure if I should buy a VR headset. I feel like there might be a next gen leap around the corner that I might not be aware of.

Btw I'm running a GTX 1080 so how well do you think that would run the latest VR games?

Thank you in advance!

I haven't heard about any upcoming 'leap' in VR technology, but I could be wrong. I say, go for it! I purchased a Rift around 2 years ago and it was well worth it for me. Opinions will vary wildly when it comes to VR. If it's something you want to try and you have the money, why not? 

Your GPU should have no problem with 99% of VR titles. Heck, I used a much less powerful RX 570 for a good year before upgrading to a RX 5700 and it ran most VR titles relatively well. My friend (also with a Rift) has a  GTX 1070 and is able to run just about everything silky smooth.

On 2/14/2021 at 6:18 PM, Midevil Chaos said:

The Oculus you mean? By FB? Hell no lol. Everyone has to stay the hell away from that stuff. As tech people, we all know the value of privacy. Having to log into FB just for a VR device? Hell no. All the privacy data they collect? Bad idea.

If you're so concerned with privacy, use a vpn and just create a fake name with fake info. I usually create a random email account with a fake name just to receive the initial registration verification. It is never touched again. If they make you put in demographic info, say you're a 99 year old unspecified gender and tell them to have fun selling that info. Nobody will know but you

6 hours ago, Treebsquire said:

Joined the forum to try and combat lockdown mental fatigue and be more social and everyone I'd written responses to or tried to help on here just ignored me and I found it quite frustrating. Stupid to let crap like that get to me I know. 

If you want social interaction a tech forum might not be the best place to go since many tech-minded people are pragmatic and precisely avoid the social shenanigans...

1 hour ago, steelo said:

If you're so concerned with privacy, use a vpn and just create a fake name with fake info. I usually create a random email account with a fake name just to receive the initial registration verification. It is never touched again. If they make you put in demographic info, say you're a 99 year old unspecified gender and tell them to have fun selling that info. Nobody will know but you

That's bad advice in this case since that is one of the FB policies they follow up on, you are required to give correct info and they do prune accounts that don't when they come across it - in which case you'd lose access to your device and purchases, here have been examples of it.

2 hours ago, Midevil Chaos said:

Two of those people, honestly, are just not worth listening to because they think they're just better than either of us.

If you're so quick as to dismiss people as "not worth listening to" compared to your all knowing self, has it never occurred to you that the reverse can be considered as well?

This sentence is literally "they think they're better than me and that's bad, but I certainly am better than them and that's okay" 🤣

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

14 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

That's bad advice in this case since that is one of the FB policies they follow up on, you are required to give correct info and they do prune accounts that don't when they come across it - in which case you'd lose access to your device and purchases, here have been examples of it.

LOL. Well, I've been using this 'fake' FB profile for 2 years now with zero issues. I'm not saying he won't have problems (maybe they're more stringent now) but I haven't. 

How exactly are they going to follow up to make sure you're providing your real name and demographic info anyways? I highly doubt they are going to verify your full name, phone number, age, address, etc unless you provide absolutely ridiculous info.

Anyways, the OP already has stated that he's not concerned about big tech companies having his info. I'm not sure why you're obsessing over this.

10 hours ago, Treebsquire said:

I get it man.

I commented my comment after skimming through the replies and I got distracted by work and couldn't reply to the numerous replies cause I didn't have time to and I still don't.

Hopefully during the weekend.

Hope you feel better! This pandemic is getting to all of us. But I'm sure there are better places to be social and talk tech, discord maybe? Ohhh and THE KING OF ALL PLATFORMS REDDIT!!!!

SERIOUSLY! Reddit helps me unwind. In the right places Reddit is a positive and wholesome place to be. Also has great tech communities. You can find me there if you need to chat u/Mr-Nades.

My PC is a fast boyo:

10 hours ago, steelo said:

That's fair. The only thing about creating X account is always the "please provide your number"... which annoys the crap out of me. I have only used my number for my gmail business account lol, but if you give it out once with FB (I would assume - but correct me if I'm wrong), you can't use it for other accounts. I have tried using burner numbers because I hate companies thinking they should have access to my number. I am glad I never had to give my number to Google though, except for my business account (which at that point, I don't see it as a personal phone for that matter).

I have heard some people (like the US), they don't provide their numbers and they can create multiple accounts somehow 😕 Lucky bastards.

12 hours ago, Midevil Chaos said:

That's fair. The only thing about creating X account is always the "please provide your number"... which annoys the crap out of me. I have only used my number for my gmail business account lol, but if you give it out once with FB (I would assume - but correct me if I'm wrong), you can't use it for other accounts. I have tried using burner numbers because I hate companies thinking they should have access to my number. I am glad I never had to give my number to Google though, except for my business account (which at that point, I don't see it as a personal phone for that matter).

I have heard some people (like the US), they don't provide their numbers and they can create multiple accounts somehow 😕 Lucky bastards.

In my case, I don't use FB -  other than to be able to log into Oculus, so I don't have to worry about having to use the same fake number again to create another account. I think steam requires a phone number as well (if I'm remembering correctly) I also use fake info for that account and haven't had any issues. Whenever I purchase a game though, I do, of course use correct info...LOL

On 2/19/2021 at 7:48 AM, steelo said:

In my case, I don't use FB -  other than to be able to log into Oculus, so I don't have to worry about having to use the same fake number again to create another account. I think steam requires a phone number as well (if I'm remembering correctly) I also use fake info for that account and haven't had any issues. Whenever I purchase a game though, I do, of course use correct info...LOL

lol. Wish I could do that honestly.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/18/2021 at 7:52 PM, phoon said:

I get it man.

I commented my comment after skimming through the replies and I got distracted by work and couldn't reply to the numerous replies cause I didn't have time to and I still don't.

Hopefully during the weekend.

Hope you feel better! This pandemic is getting to all of us. But I'm sure there are better places to be social and talk tech, discord maybe? Ohhh and THE KING OF ALL PLATFORMS REDDIT!!!!

SERIOUSLY! Reddit helps me unwind. In the right places Reddit is a positive and wholesome place to be. Also has great tech communities. You can find me there if you need to chat u/Mr-Nades.

Sorry for such a late reply on this and for putting all my crap on you. That was a horrendous week but still no excuse. Lockdown's driving us all a bit crazy but hopefully things will start to get better soon with these vaccines. Appreciate the reply and yes, Reddit is a wonderful healer! Try not to go on their too much though as easy to get sucked in and lose half a day 🙂

Out of curiosity, what did you decide in the end with VR?

On 3/5/2021 at 1:31 PM, Treebsquire said:

Sorry for such a late reply on this and for putting all my crap on you. That was a horrendous week but still no excuse. Lockdown's driving us all a bit crazy but hopefully things will start to get better soon with these vaccines. Appreciate the reply and yes, Reddit is a wonderful healer! Try not to go on their too much though as easy to get sucked in and lose half a day 🙂

Out of curiosity, what did you decide in the end with VR?

Hey man! Alright so I did some digging, there seems to be a lot of rumors about higher refresh rate VR headsets. But that's not what put me off from buying right now. The problem is the game variety, the graphics and emersion levels. I personally think they have a long way to go. Give em 2 years and I think we should see another spike in VR popularity.

The industry just needs time and I need new hardware 🤣 if I were to run dual 1440p lenses at 240 fps (just giving an example).

My PC is a fast boyo:

VR already gives an awesome experience at the current 90/120/144Hz, there's no point in chasing specs.

Heck I'm playing FS2020 and get about 40fps yet it's still awesome...

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

59 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

VR already gives an awesome experience at the current 90/120/144Hz, there's no point in chasing specs.

Heck I'm playing FS2020 and get about 40fps yet it's still awesome...

yep, all they need is 240hz VR

my signiture was cool, but its a lie now

6 hours ago, phoon said:

Ha! Well that's true. Then again there's always new technology right around the corner. I suppose that's why something like the Rift S is lower risk as it's relatively cheap compared to most headsets and will probably hold it's value well second hand.

If you'd been playing VR from the offset then I could see your point about games but if you're completely new to VR, you're really spoilt for choice and there are loads of visually great games out there, with full length campaigns. Plus you tend to find that graphics aren't quite as important in VR because you feel like you're really there. I've been playing through all the half life games in VR lately and it's been incredible. I've just finished Half Life 2 and playing through one of my all time favorite games and feeling like I'm in the game is an experience I'll treasure forever.

BNSGQDc.gif

That's fair enough though if you want to hold off. It's not like all those games are going anywhere. There are likely to be some great new headsets in the next year and I can imagine PSVR2 is going to massively help boost the VR market.

On 2/14/2021 at 6:03 PM, Kilrah said:

G2 is barely out...

The go-to right now is really the Quest 2. Gives an excellent experience comparable to the G2 but at lower price and with wireless operation capability both standalone and streaming from a PC which no other offers. 

Index is superior in terms of image quality, but at almost 4x the price and with increased GPU requriements to make real use of it...

There always will as with all tech, but since there has just been such a leap it's probably going to be a couple of years before another one comes, and... the current experience is already awesome, the next thing is probably going to be in peripherals like haptic / interface systems since the rest is quite mature by now.

Yes @Kilrah is right the Quest 2 is the hot one right now. I actually just ended up buying one to see if I could do work on it when I'm not in my office. The price point is great and It has been working well. Mark Z did just say publicly that they are planning on releasing a 3 and a 4 in the next few years, so as others say there will always be a new one coming out after you buy one. 🤣 But think of them as a phone or a monitor, you have the ability to replace them, but do you really need to? I normally stick with the same monitors for at least 4 year before changing them out and with phones at least 1-2 years. In regards to the 1080, I have the 1080 TI and it works perfectly, I even was able to get GTA5 working on it with the VR mod without any issues.

Precision Tower 7810

2 CPU E5-2699 v3 (36 Cores) (Logical Procs: 72)  | GTX 1080 | 64GB DDR4 | 4 1TB NVMe M.2 Drives  | 1 LG widescreen 4K monitor , 4 HP 4K monitors | Razer Mouse, Chroma Pad, Nari Ultimate