(Working) Tesla K40m in a 32Bit BAR Motherboard.

Poet129
Go to solution Solved by Poet129,

@ShrimpBrime

Well, I've now figured out why the nvidia driver won't start on the modded v-bios... apparently they are signed however the signatures are stored in the v-bios itself not checked against a known good list. So running the modded K40c v-bios through KeplerBiosTweaker, and changing nothing just using it to resign it makes it all work... one year later wow so simple. So all that needs done is to get a variant of the card's v-bios that will work in your motherboard then mod it to allow it to be flashed to your card via nvflash (I only had to change one byte), then resign it with KeplerBiosTweaker and finally flash it using nvflash on Linux or a normally functional board. No need to reflash every reboot now. 🙂

52 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

@Poet129 

The only alternative I know of is modifying the bios on the K40 and reduce the aperture size. I do know that the card needs a 16GB block, so reducing this will probably be a serious performance hit. 

How would I be able to do this? I understand that this will reduce performance.

2 minutes ago, Poet129 said:

How would be able to do this? I understand that this will reduce performance.

I'm not sure that you can. I don't think Kepler Bios tweaker does that. It's more designed to set higher base clocks and memory clocks voltage ect......

1 minute ago, ShrimpBrime said:

I'm not sure that you can. I don't think Kepler Bios tweaker does that. It's more designed to set higher base clocks and memory clocks voltage ect......

Okay, I'll keep looking. Thanks for your help.

1 minute ago, Poet129 said:

Okay, I'll keep looking. Thanks for your help.

Welcome man. Wish I could be of better help, but face the exact same road block with my K20. It's almost like round two, I feel the pain of the purchase being unusable. Might as well be a DOA 3070 or something..... 😞 

1 minute ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Welcome man. Wish I could be of better help, but face the exact same road block with my K20. It's almost like round two, I feel the pain of the purchase being unusable. Might as well be a DOA 3070 or something..... 😞 

Yeah, what motherboard were you trying to use just curious?

Just now, Poet129 said:

Yeah, what motherboard were you trying to use just curious?

M4A79 deluxe = no post

Crosshair IV = no post

A320 = no post

B450M-A = no post

P4PE = no post

Maximus Hero X = posts gives me the exact same error you get.

I think I tried a couple older boards as a joke to myself with continuous no posts lol.

Have UD3R, and it probably won't post or give the same error.

I've already researched the motherboard I need. Just don't have the coin to buy into one. 

My K20 is a paper weight. 

12 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

M4A79 deluxe = no post

Crosshair IV = no post

A320 = no post

B450M-A = no post

P4PE = no post

Maximus Hero X = posts gives me the exact same error you get.

I think I tried a couple older boards as a joke to myself with continuous no posts lol.

Have UD3R, and it probably won't post or give the same error.

I've already researched the motherboard I need. Just don't have the coin to buy into one. 

My K20 is a paper weight. 

Was it a K20 or K20X?

I vaguely remember under memory settings in the bios it had the option for essentially this. I had to change the setting to enable my sr2 to boot with 4 gpu.

I haven't got mine attached to a monitor at the moment but that's vaguely what I remember. If you search for posts of mine in the X58 HEDT thread I was reporting on virtualization shenanigans, one required solution to which was to limit pci memory dma space to get around the godawful nf200 chip limitations.

Off the top of my head, I don't recall tho. Other posts to look for are anything by gordan79 (?) On evga forum....search for the nf200 kvm terms in google and his posts will come up.

28 minutes ago, Poet129 said:

Was it a K20 or K20X?

K20, no X. 

@ShrimpBrime

Hey how hard would it be to emulate my motherboard and then modify the BIOS based on that. Or make my own BIOS capable of 16G decoding again using said emulator. Just the motherboard and BIOS would need to be emulated no need for an OS.

31 minutes ago, Poet129 said:

@ShrimpBrime

Hey how hard would it be to emulate my motherboard and then modify the BIOS based on that. Or make my own BIOS capable of 16G decoding again using said emulator. Just the motherboard and BIOS would need to be emulated no need for an OS.

Very few people that I know of can write bios code. So this task would be on the ultra difficult side. I'm not even sure what you mean by "emulate" a motherboard and bios though. 

16 hours ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Very few people that I know of can write bios code. So this task would be on the ultra difficult side.

I'm not even sure what you mean by "emulate" a motherboard and bios though. 

You are correct, I don't yet have any experience with such a task, but I have all the time in the world along with the existing open source BIOS's out there.

What I meant by "emulate" would have been the ability to test whether the board would post with a particular BIOS without having to flash a real board.

However, I no longer need that feature or program, as I've found I can cross flash the BIOS (I mean flash one BIOS with a different one as I have three BIOS chips on my motherboard). So with this I can test and fix any issues that occur with as many tries as I would like, without any chance of bricking the board. This will take time, however it will be worth it to me if I can make everything work correctly.

18 minutes ago, Poet129 said:

You are correct, I don't yet have any experience with such a task, but I have all the time in the world along with the existing open source BIOS's out there.

What I meant by "emulate" would have been the ability to test whether the board would post with a particular BIOS without having to flash a real board.

However, I no longer need that feature or program, as I've found I can cross flash the BIOS (I mean flash one BIOS with a different one as I have three BIOS chips on my motherboard). So with this I can test and fix any issues that occur with as many tries as I would like, without any chance of bricking the board. This will take time, however it will be worth it to me if I can make everything work correctly.

The best way to inject the bios is with a programmer vs a flash. 

8 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

The best way to inject the bios is with a programmer vs a flash. 

You are correct, however I don't have one and this works, just a little slower.

26 minutes ago, Poet129 said:

You are correct, however I don't have one and this works, just a little slower.

The programmer will greatly lower the chance of a bad flash, or we could word it greatly increase the chance of a good flash. 

Great for bios recovery on EEPROM chips too. 

Anyways, I did look around for pre modded bioses for your board. I have not found any.....

• 2 months later...
On 2/18/2021 at 11:55 AM, ShrimpBrime said:

The programmer will greatly lower the chance of a bad flash, or we could word it greatly increase the chance of a good flash. 

Great for bios recovery on EEPROM chips too. 

Anyways, I did look around for pre modded bioses for your board. I have not found any.....

Hate to revive an old thread, but I figured you'd want to see this... I managed to get it to work!

Combined GPUs + CPUs.png

Seperate GPUs.png

3 hours ago, Poet129 said:

Hate to revive an old thread, but I figured you'd want to see this... I managed to get it to work!

HAHA! No shit! How'd you pull it off?

4 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

HAHA! No shit! How'd you pull it off?

Kinda weird but if you reflash the normal gpu bios after flashing the modded one and reinstall the driver it just works no clue why...

2 minutes ago, Poet129 said:

Kinda weird but if you reflash the normal gpu bios after flashing the modded one and reinstall the driver it just works no clue why...

That's cool. It's working don't ask!! lol. Don't need to know why, it works so BAM!! Good deal. Thank you for coming back btw.

1 hour ago, ShrimpBrime said:

That's cool. It's working don't ask!! lol. Don't need to know why, it works so BAM!! Good deal. Thank you for coming back btw.

Don't know if you still have that K20 and still have a use for it, but I'm willing to make you a modded v-bios for it... if you want.

24 minutes ago, Poet129 said:

Don't know if you still have that K20 and still have a use for it, but I'm willing to make you a modded v-bios for it... if you want.

I do actually have it still. But it's boxed up with about 90% of my stuff. Plan to move residence sometime this summer. So will take a rain check for later if that's cool!

5 hours ago, ShrimpBrime said:

I do actually have it still. But it's boxed up with about 90% of my stuff. Plan to move residence sometime this summer. So will take a rain check for later if that's cool!

All good I understand, however I should tell you the drawbacks I've found so far...

1. You have to reflash the v-bios from the modded version to the normal version every reboot 😞

2. OpenGL and Physics seem entirely broken (CUDA works) 😞

3. So far I haven't been able to get the gpu to show up as a selection under the gpu per app graphics performance preferences 😞

However I'm working on fixing as many of these as I can. I have a feeling they are all linked to not having the gpu set up at boot.

43 minutes ago, Poet129 said:

All good I understand, however I should tell you the drawbacks I've found so far...

1. You have to reflash the v-bios from the modded version to the normal version every reboot 😞

2. OpenGL and Physics seem entirely broken (CUDA works) 😞

3. So far I haven't been able to get the gpu to show up as a selection under the gpu per app graphics performance preferences 😞

However I'm working on fixing as many of these as I can. I have a feeling they are all linked to not having the gpu set up at boot.

#1 is interesting. 

So you're saying the modded bios is there every reboot, or you reflash and boot twice? Or is it, Flash modded bios, then flash back to standard in the same start up, then reboot?

48 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

#1 is interesting. 

So you're saying the modded bios is there every reboot, or you reflash and boot twice? Or is it, Flash modded bios, then flash back to standard in the same start up, then reboot?

You have to reflash to the modded version either before reboot or start reflash to the modded version then reboot assuming your not previously on the modded v-bios. Then, flash the regular v-bios and reinstall the nvidia driver. Really weird but it has worked multiple times on both windows and linux mint.

2 hours ago, Poet129 said:

You have to reflash to the modded version either before reboot or start reflash to the modded version then reboot assuming your not previously on the modded v-bios. Then, flash the regular v-bios and reinstall the nvidia driver. Really weird but it has worked multiple times on both windows and linux mint.

@ShrimpBrime

Figured a few things out... you no longer need to reinstall the driver every single time you reboot just reflash the v-bios between the two versions, also fixed issue two, my gpu was in tcc mode instead of wddm. So just modified 1 and 3 are left.

Edit:

After figuring this out I got a game (World of Warcraft) to detect the gpu. (Had to switch to directx 11).

Went from maxed 4k at ~10fps to maxed 4k ~30 fps.

Edit 2:

Don't overclock.