(Working) Tesla K40m in a 32Bit BAR Motherboard.

Poet129
Go to solution Solved by Poet129,

@ShrimpBrime

Well, I've now figured out why the nvidia driver won't start on the modded v-bios... apparently they are signed however the signatures are stored in the v-bios itself not checked against a known good list. So running the modded K40c v-bios through KeplerBiosTweaker, and changing nothing just using it to resign it makes it all work... one year later wow so simple. So all that needs done is to get a variant of the card's v-bios that will work in your motherboard then mod it to allow it to be flashed to your card via nvflash (I only had to change one byte), then resign it with KeplerBiosTweaker and finally flash it using nvflash on Linux or a normally functional board. No need to reflash every reboot now. 🙂

Just now, ABIT-Wolf said:

This is a bit off topic but was wondering what Nvidia Geforce card is equal to the Tesla K40m, Titan or something like the GTX 1070?

Answers open to anyone that knows.  I did a search here but came up with nothing same with Google.

the K40m has a GK110B inside of it, which is used in the GTX 780 and Titan Black. I'd guess it's somewhere in between?

elephants

On 10/17/2022 at 4:36 PM, FakeKGB said:

the K40m has a GK110B inside of it, which is used in the GTX 780 and Titan Black. I'd guess it's somewhere in between?

Manually installing driver shows it as a Titan Z, but no testing done yet so I can't say if its true or false.

Tried to setup Sli with bridge, but the only bridge I have is to thick to connect to the cards.

There must be a special SLi bridge for these type cards? I could remove the case cover or notch it out

where it connects as I'm pretty sure it will fit then either way.

EDit: after doing some testing all this seemed to do was just change the display name.

I think some of the files was installed too because one of the two cards became unstable with the work I have them doing.

Was stable for days before giving this a try. Only time will tell if I may have a bad card. Going back to the old driver now.

Screenshot_9.png

Screenshot_10.png

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/tesla-m40.c2771

On 10/14/2022 at 7:18 PM, Poet129 said:

Looks like it worked good, you may want to consider using nvidia-smi to switch it from tcc mode to wddm mode depending on your use case. Any Linux version should work forgot to mention... @LinusTech I'd love to help make a video on this if you are interested. @ABIT-Wolf Glad to hear it works on more than just my machine.

Looking at buying a Tesla M40. Was wondering if you knew if this card would need the same mod you did to the K40?

You may or may not know but I didn't know who else to ask. Thanks for any help. Anyone else knowing Please post what you know

of this card https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/tesla-m40.c2771

7 hours ago, ABIT-Wolf said:

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/tesla-m40.c2771

Looking at buying a Tesla M40. Was wondering if you knew if this card would need the same mod you did to the K40?

You may or may not know but I didn't know who else to ask. Thanks for any help. Anyone else knowing Please post what you know

of this card https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/tesla-m40.c2771

Based on this website it appears to be that it would have the same issue. I don't have one of these cards to experiment with. So I would not be of much help, not to mention even if I did, it does not appear that there is a Tesla non-64bit-BAR version of the card. However like the K40M shares with the Titan Black, The M40 shares with the Titan X. They have the same chip... So it is theoretically possible to do the same procedure from the Titan X V-BIOS. However since I did mine from the K40C and not the Titan Black it may be different comparing to a non-Tesla chip. As previously stated I will be unable to help much other than general questions, but I will try my best if you do go this route.

4 hours ago, Poet129 said:

Based on this website it appears to be that it would have the same issue. I don't have one of these cards to experiment with. So I would not be of much help, not to mention even if I did, it does not appear that there is a Tesla non-64bit-BAR version of the card. However like the K40M shares with the Titan Black, The M40 shares with the Titan X. They have the same chip... So it is theoretically possible to do the same procedure from the Titan X V-BIOS. However since I did mine from the K40C and not the Titan Black it may be different comparing to a non-Tesla chip. As previously stated I will be unable to help much other than general questions, but I will try my best if you do go this route.

Yes I did go this route, had a offer come in I couldn't turn down that already had a shroud with double 40mm fans and the power Y connector. 

They had been using it for gaming while video cards where so hard to get. Looks like I may be in more trouble this time around than with

the K40m. But I have since pickup a HP Z400 MB and have it up and running, maybe the M40 will work with it. I saw a Z420 it did work with

so fingers crossed. Thanks for taking the time to post.

BTW  a HP Z400 Workstation Motherboard Intel Xeon W3550 3.06GHz 18GB Ram NVIDIA QUADRO K620

can be picked up for cheap on eBay was $28.00 but has gone up to 35 now. That was the same listing I got

mine from but I got lucky and my CPU was a W3565 I was not disappointed. 🙂 Heck a K620 will cost 35 or more so it was a no brainer for me and with 18GB of ecc ram. There are a few things to over come a normal PSU will not work with this HP MB, but there are only 3 wires needing to be changed. There is a couple big write ups about this out there and how to mod this MB to make work perfect without the HP case and PSU. I'll leave a link if I can find it again. https://www.overclockers.com/forums/threads/hp-z400-workstation-to-gaming-pc.772976/

On 11/3/2022 at 4:55 PM, Poet129 said:

I got the Tesla M40 in today same issue as with the K40m "code 12". I see the Quadro M6000 is basely the same card, I wonder if its vbios could be mod the same as with k40m and k40c? I was able to pull the vbios from the m40 with GPU-Z but haven't looked at it in a tweaker.

18 hours ago, ABIT-Wolf said:

I got the Tesla M40 in today same issue as with the K40m "code 12". I see the Quadro M6000 is basely the same card, I wonder if its vbios could be mod the same as with k40m and k40c? I was able to pull the vbios from the m40 with GPU-Z but haven't looked at it in a tweaker.

If you post it here I can take a look at it.

1 hour ago, Poet129 said:

Let me find the tweaker program too have a look that GPU-Z pulled from the M40 correct.

Since the card was unusable it may have pulled the Quadro 600 vbios. 

I've seen this happen sometimes. I'll add to this post the file once I know for sure its correct one.

Edit: turns out the extraction was bad, so I will have to try something different. Linux maybe.

I'll post a new post once I have the .rom file. thanks

Not sure if this upload is working, will try to fix if not. First board I tried wouldn't work, so I had to pick another and start over.

Edit: Link seems to be working now. Let me know if its not and I will try to fix it.

M40GK200Stock.rom

3 hours ago, ABIT-Wolf said:

Not sure if this upload is working, will try to fix if not. Fist board I tried wouldn't work, so I had to pick another and start over.

Edit: Link seems to be working now. Let me know if its not and I will try to fix it.

M40GK200Stock.rom 254.5 kB · 3 downloads

This V-Bios will not flash but I need to know what error it raises from nvflash. It won't affect the card because nvflash is programmed to check the device id, pci id, etc. Funny enough if it did just flash it, it would likely work. Knowing what errors it raises will help me narrow down what exactly needs changed. This V-Bios was sourced from the techpowerup database as the only Nvidia card vendor Titan X. It shares the same memory compatibility and gpu chip and vram amount so it should work fine once reidentified.

GTXTitanX.rom

1 hour ago, Poet129 said:

This V-Bios will not flash but I need to know what error it raises from nvflash. It won't affect the card because nvflash is programmed to check the device id, pci id, etc. Funny enough if it did just flash it, it would likely work. Knowing what errors it raises will help me narrow down what exactly needs changed. This V-Bios was sourced from the techpowerup database as the only Nvidia card vendor Titan X. It shares the same memory compatibility and gpu chip and vram amount so it should work fine once reidentified.

GTXTitanX.rom 220.5 kB · 0 downloads

I actually did try with that same file, but don't recall what the error message was. I just put everything back with the 2x K40m.

Its late so I may just go to bed and start new later today and will report back. I also may setup ubuntu on a spare HDD, the

USB is so slow booting then setting up with "try ubuntu" it takes some time and all files are lost and web pages have to be

all redone once its rebooted. Edit: Some of my work will be done in 14 mins. the other I will pause then swap out the video cards.

I'll see if I can get that info ASAP.

2 hours ago, Poet129 said:

GTXTitanX.rom 220.5 kB · 0 downloads

root@thewolf-BTC-T37:/home/thewolf/Downloads# ./nvflash -6 GTXTitanX.rom

NVIDIA Firmware Update Utility (Version 5.227)
Simplified Version For OEM Only

Checking for matches between display adapter(s) and image(s)...

Adapter: Graphics Device      (10DE,17FD,10DE,1171) H:--:NRM S:00,B:01,PCI,D:00,F:00

WARNING: None of the firmware image compatible PCI Device ID's
match the PCI Device ID of the adapter.
Adapter PCI Device ID:        17FD
Firmware image PCI Device ID: 17C2
WARNING: Firmware image PCI Subsystem ID (10DE.1132)
  does not match adapter PCI Subsystem ID (10DE.1171).
WARNING: None of the firmware image compatible Board ID's
match the Board ID of the adapter.
Adapter Board ID:        EA06
Firmware image Board ID: EA02

ERROR: GPU mismatch

https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/?architecture=Uploads&manufacturer=NVIDIA&model=TESLA+M40&interface=&memType=&memSize=12288&since=

Edited by ABIT-Wolf
add link

The vbios is flashable I tested with the one from techpowerup then back to the stock bios. Info below.

root@thewolf-BTC-T37:/home/thewolf/Downloads# ./nvflash -6 M40GK200Stock.rom

Adapter: Graphics Device      (10DE,17FD,10DE,1171) H:--:NRM S:00,B:01,PCI,D:00,F:00

Current      - Version:84.00.48.00.01 ID:10DE:17FD:10DE:1171
               GM200 Board (Normal Board)
Replace with - Version:84.00.56.00.02 ID:10DE:17FD:10DE:1171

Update display adapter firmware?
Press 'y' to confirm (any other key to abort):  y
The display may go *BLANK* on and off for up to 10 seconds or more during the update process depending on your display adapter and output device.

Identifying EEPROM...
EEPROM ID (EF,3013) : WBond W25X40A 2.7-3.6V 4096Kx1S, page
Clearing original firmware image...
Storing updated firmware image...
Verifying update...
Update successful.

Firmware image has been updated from version 84.00.48.00.01 to 84.00.56.00.02.

A reboot is required for the update to take effect.

root@thewolf-BTC-T37:/home/thewolf/Downloads#

https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/239507/239507

NVIDIAQuadroM6000.rom

./nvflash -i0 -6 NVIDIAQuadroM6000.rom

Firmware image PCI Device ID: 17F0
WARNING: Firmware image PCI Subsystem ID (10DE.1129)
Firmware image Board ID: EA01

Edited by ABIT-Wolf
Found M6000 vbios if you want to have a look at it. Edit: Add info

On 11/6/2022 at 11:27 AM, Poet129 said:

Is there no -nvflash-with-certificate-checks-bypassed for Linux that works here?

I tried v5.218.0 I think it was and it couldn't even see that the M40 was installed.

It was a bypass by Joe D.

Been doing more research and found this. Is this something like you did with the K40M? I haven't read the complete thread yet, but got me excited seeing someone actually talking about how it could be done. Not something I'm quite ready to try or step into just yet I still have a lot to learn. Found here down the page a ways: Hacking NVidia Cards into their Professional Counterparts

You are much better off getting your original BIOS and using a hex editor to update its device ID, then use the KGB voltage mod tool to fix the checksum,

Edit: I may have made the mod, I will test nvflash, but not let it complete, just want to see if the errors are still there.

I mod the M40 stock rom using codes from Titan-X rom fixed the checksum in MBTII. Now to test. 😉

Let me know if you see any problems and what you think.

Screenshot_1.png

Screenshot_2.png

Well that didn't quite work, but looks a step closer than before. Less error messages.

./nvflash1 -i0 -6 M40ModCksum.rom

Firmware image PCI Device ID: 17C2

If I'm correct this part looks to be passing now? Should I remove the C2 and put the FD back, "the now error" or should I be doing this mod to the Titan-X ROM? Like I said before I don't know much about this but think I am starting to get a little grip on how all this works. lol Anyone else can jump in if they know something that would help me. Would be much appreciated.

Edited by ABIT-Wolf

I mod the Titan-X ROM and got this should I put in Y and take the chance or keep working with it till I get this error fixed?

./nvflash1 -i0 -6 GTXTitanXmod1.rom

Please press 'y' to confirm override of PCI Subsystem ID's:

48 minutes ago, ABIT-Wolf said:

I mod the Titan-X ROM and got this should I put in Y and take the chance or keep working with it till I get this error fixed?

./nvflash1 -i0 -6 GTXTitanXmod1.rom

Please press 'y' to confirm override of PCI Subsystem ID's:

You don't need to worry about that error. Sorry haven't had time in a while. It looks good actually just quickly looking over. Good Luck.

I hit Y and tried to flash, but it still needs work new error message below.

I'm a bit lost and so far unable to locate how to fix

does not match adapter PCI Subsystem ID (10DE.1171)

and where to locate Adapter Board ID: EA06 Firmware image Board ID: EA02

to fix that, not sure if the ladder needs fixing? Any help you could give would be really nice. Thanks for your time.

Adapter: Graphics Device      (10DE,17FD,10DE,1171) H:--:NRM S:00,B:01,PCI,D:00,F:00

Adapter Board ID:        EA06

Please press 'y' to confirm override of PCI Subsystem ID's:  Y
Overriding PCI subsystem ID mismatch

ERROR: Board ID mismatch

54 minutes ago, ABIT-Wolf said:

I hit Y and tried to flash, but it still needs work new error message below.

I'm a bit lost and so far unable to locate how to fix

does not match adapter PCI Subsystem ID (10DE.1171)

and where to locate Adapter Board ID: EA06 Firmware image Board ID: EA02

to fix that, not sure if the ladder needs fixing? Any help you could give would be really nice. Thanks for your time.

Adapter: Graphics Device      (10DE,17FD,10DE,1171) H:--:NRM S:00,B:01,PCI,D:00,F:00

Adapter Board ID:        EA06

Please press 'y' to confirm override of PCI Subsystem ID's:  Y

Try this one.

GTXTitanXMod.rom

53 minutes ago, Poet129 said:

Note I used a newer version of nvflash.

./nvflash_linux -i0 -6 GTXTitanXMod.rom

NVIDIA Firmware Update Utility (Version 5.414.0)

Adapter: Tesla M40            (10DE,17FD,10DE,1171) H:--:NRM  S:00,B:01,D:00,F:00

Please press 'y' to confirm override of PCI Subsystem ID's:  Y
Current      - Version:84.00.56.00.02 ID:10DE:17FD:10DE:1171
Replace with - Version:84.00.1F.00.01 ID:10DE:17FD:10DE:1132

Press 'y' to confirm (any other key to abort):  Y
Identifying EEPROM...
EEPROM ID (EF,3013) : WBond W25X40A 2.7-3.6V 4096Kx1S, page
Command id: 0x3000000E Command: NV_UCODE_CMD_COMMAND_VV failed
Command Status: NV_UCODE_CMD_STS_COMPLETE
Error Code= 0x00000011: NV_UCODE_ERR_CODE_CMD_VBIOS_VERIFY_BIOS_SIG_FAIL

BCRT Error: Certificate 2.0 verification failed

BIOS Cert 2.0 Verification Error, Update aborted.

Nothing changed!

ERROR: Invalid firmware image detected.

root@thewolf-BTC-T37:/home/thewolf/Downloads/x86#

Edited by ABIT-Wolf

55 minutes ago, Poet129 said:

Command id:1000000E Command: NV_UCODE_CMD_COMMAND_VV failed
Command Status:NV_UCODE_CMD_STS_NEW
Error: NV_UCODE_ERR_CODE_CMD_VBIOS_VERIFY_BIOS_SIG_FAIL

ERROR: ERROR:BIOS Cert 2.0 Verification Error, Update aborted

8 minutes ago, ABIT-Wolf said:

Command id:1000000E Command: NV_UCODE_CMD_COMMAND_VV failed
Command Status:NV_UCODE_CMD_STS_NEW
Error: NV_UCODE_ERR_CODE_CMD_VBIOS_VERIFY_BIOS_SIG_FAIL

ERROR: ERROR:BIOS Cert 2.0 Verification Error, Update aborted

It is possible that it is due to the fact that the V-Bios' are different sizes as mine were the same. K40M -> K40C (242,176). Where as... M40 (260,608) -> TitanX (225,792). Not sure where we would want to add padding.

Not sure if this will help its the last mod attempt I made. This was done making only one change with HxD top first line. changed DE 10 32 11 to DE 10 71 11.

Adapter: Tesla M40            (10DE,17FD,10DE,1171) H:--:NRM  S:00,B:01,D:00,F:00

NOTE: Exception caught.
Nothing changed!

GTXTitanXmod4.rom

4 minutes ago, ABIT-Wolf said:

Not sure if this will help its the last mod attempt I made.

NOTE: Exception caught.
Nothing changed!

GTXTitanXmod4.rom 220.5 kB · 0 downloads

Try using this.