Strange freezing issue in Windows with new 5800X system.

Twiistaah HD

Hi,

I upgraded to a 5800X around Christmas and have been having a strange issue where Windows will sort of freeze up, the time freezes for example, but some programs that I would assume are mostly loaded into RAM still kinda work. For example, I was watching a YouTube video at the time a freeze happened and the video continued playing, it wasn't until I tried to load a new video that I noticed it had occurred again. It also happened during a zoom lecture, I could still hear the lecturer talking but the video had frozen so I sat there with no video until the end. The cursor can still be moved around and the start menu can be loaded but it can't find any programs, I can't even press restart, it just hangs. The problem is a bit strange and hard to properly explain but I'm really not sure what it could be. I have a video of a time that the error occurred if that helps. https://youtu.be/VwQY8nqiZ5g

My system is:

• Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Asus ROG Strix X570-E (Tried BIOS versions 2816, 3001, 3202, 3405)
  • G.SKILL Trident Z Neo 32GB (2x16GB) CL18 3600MHz
  • Gigabyte GTX 1060 6GB
  • Corsair RM850
  • NZXT Kraken x52
  • Samsung 970 Evo 500GB for OS (Currently using an Samsung 850 Evo 250GB which I will explain below)
  • Samsung 970 Evo 1TB for Games
  • Seagate Barracuda 1TB for general storage
  • Seagate Barracuda 2TB for Games

When upgrading my PC, I upgraded the CPU, Mobo, RAM, PSU and added the 1TB SSD, other drives and GPU were the same as before.

I'm listing everything because I genuinely don't know what the issue could be at all at the moment.

I have tried:

• Removing all OC's
  • Updating to newest BIOS and tried beta versions
  • Reverted back to stable BIOS

I asked on tech support reddit and one person suggested it may be a failure mode of NVMe SSDs, so I troubleshooted my boot drive.

I tried:

• Updating SSD's firmware
  • Uninstalling and reinstalling Samsung NVMe driver
  • Just uninstalling the Samsung NVMe driver and leaving it unistalled
  • Forcing the M.2 slots to run at Gen 3
  • Making sure the temperatures of the drives would fine
  • Optimising the drive
  • Uninstalling Samsung Magician
  • Reinstalling Windows

After the problem was still there after reinstalling Windows, I installed Windows to my old 850 Evo and RMA'd my drive since I've only had it for 2 years maybe. Haven't had any issues for over a week but it's just happened again. I didn't try removing the second SSD which I should have probably also tested but I didn't think it would be to do with that drive if Windows was unresponsive.

Sorry for the kinda long post and not very descriptive title, the problem is a bit hard to put into words.

Edit: 

I forgot to mention, the system started with Trident Z Neo CL18 3600MHz 16GB but I switched it for 32GB of the same speed because I was using all my RAM when hosting modded minecraft servers for my friends. The first time it happened was overnight while running that server, but I can't remember if that was before or after changing the RAM.

Edited by Twiistaah HD
Forgot some information.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello
Don't know if you solved it yet but i found your thread cause i had the same issue. I found what fixed it for me at least was "AMD Cool&Quiet function" in the BIOS.
(Tweaker->Advanced CPU Settings->AMD Cool&Quiet function on Gigabyte x570 Aorus Elite) was enable by default, set it to disabled and have had no freeze since then.
Hope you have solved it since posted, or if not this can help 🙂

• 3 weeks later...

Any update on the issue? I am having similar issues, and my rig is also similar to yours and is also brand new minus the case and peripherals and I built it only last month

Windows 10 Pro

Ryzen 5800x

MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk 

32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz running on the XMP profile

WD_BLACK SN750 1TB High-Performance NVMe Internal Gaming SSD, with Heatsink M.2 

3TB 7200rpm HDD

Corsair RM750

EVGA Geforce GTX 970 

This is really worryingly annoying especially since I have no Idea when the next freeze is gonna happen and how much of my work is gonna get lost. Weirdly it hasn't happened at all when I'm gaming tho (well I only play BFV atm). 

Any clue to the cause would be appreciated. 

How did you set up the RAM in the BIOS, when did you just set it to 3600MHz or did you increase the voltage and other parts too, (this is done automatically if you used DOCP)

Hi all, I also was facing this same freezing, found out it was because I used amd chipset drivers from amd website, try using chipset drivers from manufacture of your motherboard instead of from amd website. Hope this helps.

hi there, i got my friend pc, that i build, with asus B550-E and 5800x, and random, i can't open a program, nothing is working, i restart the pc, and everything is back to normal, then the issues is back! did you guys experience this, i did change and try 3 different bios, rams?

Ma țin aproape de oricine îmi suporta tăcerea.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to update. Possibly issue is now solved.

I tried turning off the "cool and quiet feature - didn't work, issue popped up again after a week. I then uninstalled the amd chipset drivers which I have gotten off amd website and just installed the ones from the msi install cd and so far i haven't encountered the problem(about 3 weeks now)   

• 2 weeks later...

Both myself and a friend have this exact same issue! I have always used the chipset drivers off my manufacturers site (in this case i have a Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming 7 Wifi). Maybe that cool and quiet thing will help.

It almost never happens when I'm gaming but happens frequently when I'm working and doing small stuff like chatting in Teams, etc.

I have FINALLY found the solution to this problem for everyone that it applies to.

Disable Global C-State Control
I tried many various solutions, however this was the only one that solved the problem. Since disabling it, my system has been running for over 5 days with 0 freezes.

From what I understand from reading around, the actual issue is that the CPU is not getting sufficient power when idle/under low load. Some motherboards have a feature called AMD Cool n' Quiet (this one is pretty old) or Global C-State Control. Also from what I understand, this feature controls how the CPU behaves and receives power when idle/dormant. I don't know the specifics behind it, but essentially this feature is choking the CPU for a second which causes the system to partially lock up. One of the threads that I was reading had someone saying that disabling c-state control lock their CPU at 3800Mhz. For me this was not the case. I'm not using a manual OC, and am just using the Auto OC feature in Ryzen Master. I don't know if this has anything to do with that user's observation, but wanted to at least mention it.

I had the exact issue, and found it probably a CPU Voltage issue of PBO or something else, if you set the cpu core voltage to mannual instead of AUTO around 1.35-1.40, it worked for me. 

Same thing happened to my Asus Rog Strix G713QM, got it a couple of days ago.

Got the issues on first day.

Has default updated drivers.

First occurence was while switching windows around during windows updating. The whole system was lagging and unresponsive, file explorer didn't open or close or minimize. Menus in Chrome and websites cycled fine. Problem with menus in Spotify and other apps occured.

After playing Hell let lose and recording a video with nvidia live record software (alt+z) went to the videos folder and launched the movie. Massive lag again.

The problem occurs after using a demanding app or game, CPU and GPU temperatures around 80 on TURBO mode in ASUS Armoury. Game runs fine, it's the problems in windows that are bothersome. It's like the computer needs to take a rest between tasks which is unusual.

Can't find disable the C-state or the core managing thing in BIOS for now.

How do you find the processor controls in default ASUS ROG BIOS?

16 hours ago, bwillow said:

How do you find the processor controls in default ASUS ROG BIOS?

In the BIOS, go to Advanced tab, then scroll down to AMD CBS, then go to Global C-state Controls.

This exact set of issues has been happening to me as of late whenever I play a video game (in my case, EVE Online) with 2 or more clients open, and it happens randomly after about an hour of playing OR if I tab out and do something like watch a YouTube video or edit spreadsheets, then tab back in and BAM, Windows stops responding completely and everything resembles a screenshot, requiring hard reboot.

My system specs are:

• Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Asus ROG Strix B550-F (Latest BIOS)
  • G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 16GB (2x8GB) 3000Mhz
  • Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080TI
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 750 GA
  • NZXT Kraken x62
  • Samsung 970 Evo 1TB for OS/games
  • Samsung 860 Evo 1TB for games
  • SanDisk Ultra 3D 250GB for games

I have already switched the C-state control in BIOS to Disabled, will now test the system to see if the issue persists and then post again with updated results.

Edited by PapiHeadshot
AMD Chipset drivers are the only option on the ASUS Drivers&Utilities page.

On 4/21/2021 at 12:30 AM, PapiHeadshot said:

In the BIOS, go to Advanced tab, then scroll down to AMD CBS, then go to Global C-state Controls.

This exact set of issues has been happening to me as of late whenever I play a video game (in my case, EVE Online) with 2 or more clients open, and it happens randomly after about an hour of playing OR if I tab out and do something like watch a YouTube video or edit spreadsheets, then tab back in and BAM, Windows stops responding completely and everything resembles a screenshot, requiring hard reboot.

My system specs are:

• Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Asus ROG Strix B550-F (Latest BIOS)
  • G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 16GB (2x8GB) 3000Mhz
  • Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080TI
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 750 GA
  • NZXT Kraken x62
  • Samsung 970 Evo 1TB for OS/games
  • Samsung 860 Evo 1TB for games
  • SanDisk Ultra 3D 250GB for games

I have already switched the C-state control in BIOS to Disabled, will now test the system to see if the issue persists and then post again with updated results.

No luck for me, my gaming laptop bios on G713QM is very restricted even on Advanced mode.

The option is simply not there, the BIOSes that come with a desktop motherboard differ a lot.

How did it go for you?

I wrote a complaing to ASUS because they have to adress this somehow with AMD on these kinds of setups.

For now I don't want to risk any BIOS operations without getting an official response.

It is annoying is all this is, unusual to work on a powerful machine like this and experience such problems.

Edited by bwillow
Added info about option not being there.

@bwillow Since you have a laptop BIOS, you might need to do what @panCC said. The issue is that the CPU isn't getting enough voltage at certain times, so if you can manually set the core voltage around 1.35 - 1.40 then it might resolve your issue.

I'm having the exact same issue! Any update?

Using:

• Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
  • G.Skill DDR4 Trident-Z 2x16GB 3600Mhz RGB - [F4-3600C16D-32GTZRC]  > Enabled DOCP for the 3600 XMP profile
  • AMD Ryzen 7 5800x
  • NVME Samsung SSD 980 PRO 1TB

But then strange things happen. Open applications are still kinda working but i cannot open new applications. And after 1 minute or so, hard crash. Then I can only press the reset button.

I did multiple CPU en MEM stresstests and they all pass. I did several re installs of windows but no luck.

Also executed al the previous steps posted in this thread:

• Disable global C state
  • Fixed voltage for CPU
  • Installed drivers from the asus page instead of the AMD page

....but nothing helped.

Now i've installed an older memory kit Corsair CMK32GX4M2B3000C15 also with XMP enabled. And for now i'm 24h crash free.I have never gotten so far without a crash.

I've never tested the new kit without the XMP/DOCP option. Also the new mem kit is present on the QVL at G-Skill but it's not on the Asus QVL. Of course Asus cannot test every mem kit but if one gives the green light it should be OK no?

On other sites i read alot about XMP profile not entering the correct timings/voltage in the BIOS but with both my sets this seemed correct. Both sets need 1.35 volt and are getting it.

@Twiistaah HD Did you sometimes tested this without DOCP enabled?

I'll be sending my new kit back if this is the issue.

Didn't find a solution yet.

I will look into setting manual highest SPL/SPPT in ASUS Armory windows program. I have no setting to adjust voltages or mentioned C-States.

So far no response from ASUS.

It might actually be memory issues, sometimes half of my memory is reserved as standby.

Also qxperienced stuttering while having chrome on, Steam downloading a game, watching a Youtube movie. High memory usage and the mouse pointer was stuttering.

Might aswell try a full system reset and disabling any kind of hibernation since this can have impact on standby memory not resetting.

Found a fix for that in here - I do not recall stuttering in games though only on windows.

'

Same problem here. Also Ryzen 7 5800X. What i do to eliminate the problem:

AMD Cool & Quiet ---> Disable

C-State Control ---> Disable

Power Supply Idle control ---> Set to Typical

I also change PCI Express power managmenent link to disable.

It's better because i also have buzzy noise from speakers when it freeze and  now i dont . Freeze is not so often, but still present. Mostly in browser.

Hi Guys,

Update from my rig:

The issue was the memory. I'm now using my older memory kit DDR4-3000 for about 2 weeks and never had the issue described in the TS.

Asus told they have been seeing this on different memory modules. And certainly that's why those memory kits are not defined in the QVL of Asus.

On the G-Skill QVL the board is mentioned so that's weird in a way...

Was there something wrong with my kit or is the kit really not supported. I don't know... but my new system is finally rock stable so I'm happy!

Update on my issue.

By disabling the AMD graphics in manage devices and then enabling it again it seems like the problem fixed itself. Cannot replicate the problem for past week.

Interesting issue was with Doom Eternal which results in immediate error upon launching the game, saying that there is no graphic adaptor or something.

I put my G713 laptop to sleep.

Any time I shut it down I have to do the cycle again, right click on My computer in file explorer, manage, disable amd graphics, reenable it and then its ok.

Played hell let loose for over 1 hour, yotube in back, spotify on play, 20 chrome tabs, no graphics issue, no lags, no problem with playing videos later also.

Didn't get any special drivers, no system reinstall.

Bios on these laptops doesn't offer any customization.

Disabling OC didn't help - the one thats controlled by Asus Armory Crate software.

All is good now, hope it helps.

Even setting default graphics card for all apps as Nvidia graphics didn't help, only reenabling AMD graphics helped.

Update 16 of may

I have replicated the issue.

I guess it's windows and it's handling of integrated and dedicated graphics priority of drivers.

I thought this was RAM issue, even contacted ASUS but only got a "return to shop" message back, no blame in them, the service team wouldn't detect the issue anyway.

When I disable nvidia drivers and reenable them I get an error in Doom Eternal that the graphics adaptor cannot be detected.

Overall performance in windows suffers also after longer games, videos cannot even be played correctly - have to wait like 10 seconds and first only audio plays.

Upon disabling AMD drivers and enabling them again the issue is fixed.

All of this is done on a clean system straight from the shop.

Haven't tested if removing AMD software entirely would fix the issue, no time for that.

This fix works because after shutting down the laptop the cycle is remembered, no need to do it over again.

It might be required after a proper shutdown, some BSOD.

Haha, scratch that, just finished a longer session in Noita which used a lot of storage and CPU and everything. The game even ran low because of all the crap that was happening and was recording because of replay being enabled. Desktop after quitting the game was unusable, might be the RAM or something else.

• 1 month later...
On 4/22/2021 at 1:44 PM, bwillow said:

No luck for me, my gaming laptop bios on G713QM is very restricted even on Advanced mode.

The option is simply not there, the BIOSes that come with a desktop motherboard differ a lot.

How did it go for you?

I wrote a complaing to ASUS because they have to adress this somehow with AMD on these kinds of setups.

For now I don't want to risk any BIOS operations without getting an official response.

It is annoying is all this is, unusual to work on a powerful machine like this and experience such problems.

Update on my part, everything started working properly and I have not had a single issue since. Hopefully you are able to fix your issue. Cheers!

• 3 months later...

i have the same problem

• Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Asus ROG Strix b550f Gamming
  • ASUS RTX 3060 OC 12 GB

Same issue here. Has anyone figured it out yet?

Current set up:

ROG crosshair VIII Dark hero x570

Ryzen 9 5950x

Nvidia geforce 2080ti

2x32G 3200mhz corsair vengeance lpx 

Windows 10

Bios version 3601

Samsung ssd 850 evo 250g(os drive)

Samsung ssd 860 evo 2tb

Samsung ssd 870 evo 1 tb

Samsung hdd hd103uj 1tb 

Not really sure what to do I've tried turning off c-state control, manually setting all power and speed options on both my ram and cpu, among many other things recommended here and on other forums but I have yet to find a solution. I know my hardware is fine because my pc was running fine for about 4 days with no problems after I installed my new cpu and motherboard but after I left it on all night and tried to get on my computer the next day the problem started. Restarting it the first time fixed the issue but then the problem started only a few hours later after I let my computer sit without doing anything for a while. Really frustrating because it worked fine for a while and I've yet to find anything to fix it. 

• 2 months later...

same issue , 
dark hero , 5900x , 32g ram vengeance 

whenever i leave the computer for minutes ( making tea ) the computer freezes although on light load "browsing ", gaming and watching YouTube is fine and stable 

all my clocks are set on auto , this issue even persisted with multiple updates .