ASUS Essence STX replacement w/Sennheiser HD58x

calarahil

Currently trying to get away from my soundcard as it's dated and the software doesn't get much attention now days. It's fine just wanting something new. I had two I was looking at and was curious what people's thoughts were on a dac amp combo. Not trying to break the bank just want something reliable.

https://drop.com/buy/xduoo-ta-03s-tube-dac-amp/reviews#reviews

https://drop.com/buy/massdrop-o2-sdac-dac-amp

I have the HD58X as well, but decided to get a Cavalli Tube Hybrid + a Grace SDAC and I LOVE the combination @calarahil!

O2 is fine as well, but is not as versatile. Can't comment on the Xduoo, as I haven't heard one.

3 minutes ago, gal-m said:

I have the HD58X as well, but decided to get a Cavalli Tube Hybrid + a Grace SDAC and I LOVE the combination @calarahil!

O2 is fine as well, but is not as versatile. Can't comment on the Xduoo, as I haven't heard one.

Right on! Thanks for responding. Trying to get a dac/amp set mainly because it's cheaper and because 1 unit versus 2.

I ended up getting the Schiit stack worked within my budget and I remember Linus reviewing them some time ago. I would of preferred one unit but since the pricing was in line I went with them. Modi - Dac (Black) and Magni Heresy (Black). Didn't need anything crazy so hopefully it'll all work out. 

37 minutes ago, calarahil said:

I ended up getting the Schiit stack worked within my budget and I remember Linus reviewing them some time ago. I would of preferred one unit but since the pricing was in line I went with them. Modi - Dac (Black) and Magni Heresy (Black). Didn't need anything crazy so hopefully it'll all work out. 

The modi refresh made the stack an Excellent choice. Personally not too big of a fan of the heresy but still not a bad pick. Would have got the magni 3+ instead myself.

11 minutes ago, rice guru said:

The modi refresh made the stack an Excellent choice. Personally not too big of a fan of the heresy but still not a bad pick. Would have got the magni 3+ instead myself.

I getcha with the Heresy. I went with it because it has an op amp. And the Heresy comes in black the + doesn't.

57 minutes ago, calarahil said:

I ended up getting the Schiit stack worked within my budget

That's a very good choice @calarahil! You will be pleased with it, no doubt!

20 minutes ago, calarahil said:

I getcha with the Heresy. I went with it because it has an op amp. And the Heresy comes in black the + doesn't.

You do you. I don't think you will be dissapointed. The extra power also opens you up to many upgrades.

Typically a tube amp should be a second amp so that you can understand what the tubes are doing, at least that's what I was told many years ago.  Also tube's aren't good for daily use because they need to warm up, shouldn't be turned on and off frequently and have a limited lifespan.  Also finding the right tubes is key and not overly easy to do, without a solid state amp to compare to it would make it even more difficult.

I know you didn't go with it just thought I'd throw in my $.02

If you decide to go down the road of tube's I can recommend the little dot mkII.  With the right tubes it sounds great.

Open-Back - Sennheiser 6xx - Focal Elex - Phillips Fidelio X3 - Harmonicdyne Zeus -  Beyerdynamic DT1990 - *HiFi-man HE400i (2017) - *Phillips shp9500 - *SoundMAGIC HP200

Semi-Open - Beyerdynamic DT880-600 - Fostex T50RP - *AKG K240 studio

Closed-Back - Rode NTH-100 - Meze 99 Neo - AKG K361-BT - Blue Microphones Lola - *Beyerdynamic DT770-80 - *Meze 99 Noir - *Blon BL-B60 *Hifiman R7dx

On-Ear - Koss KPH30iCL Grado - Koss KPH30iCL Yaxi - Koss KPH40 Yaxi

IEM - Tin HiFi T2 - MoonDrop Quarks - Tangzu Wan'er S.G - Moondrop Chu - QKZ x HBB - 7HZ Salnotes Zero

Headset Turtle Beach Stealth 700 V2 + xbox adapter - *Sennheiser Game One - *Razer Kraken Pro V2

DAC S.M.S.L SU-9

Class-D dac/amp Topping DX7 - Schiit Fulla E - Fosi Q4 - *Sybasonic SD-DAC63116

Class-D amp Topping A70

Class-A amp Emotiva A-100 - Xduoo MT-602 (hybrid tube)

Pure Tube amp Darkvoice 336SE - Little dot MKII - Nobsound Little Bear P7

Audio Interface Rode AI-1

Portable Amp Xduoo XP2-pro - *Truthear SHIO - *Fiio BTR3K BTR3Kpro 

Mic Rode NT1 - *Antlion Mod Mic - *Neego Boom Mic - *Vmoda Boom Mic

Pads ZMF - Dekoni - Brainwavz - Shure - Yaxi - Grado - Wicked Cushions

Cables Hart Audio Cables - Periapt Audio Cables

Speakers Kef Q950 - Micca RB42 - Jamo S803 - Crown XLi1500 (power amp class A)

*given as gift or out of commission

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/13/2021 at 2:21 PM, Psittac said:

Typically a tube amp should be a second amp so that you can understand what the tubes are doing, at least that's what I was told many years ago.  Also tube's aren't good for daily use because they need to warm up, shouldn't be turned on and off frequently and have a limited lifespan.  Also finding the right tubes is key and not overly easy to do, without a solid state amp to compare to it would make it even more difficult.

I know you didn't go with it just thought I'd throw in my $.02

If you decide to go down the road of tube's I can recommend the little dot mkII.  With the right tubes it sounds great.

I remember hearing something similar about tube amps. I went with the modi and magni stack and have been quite pleased. Small differences  with the sound floor over a sound card , and getting used to turning off my amp.

35 minutes ago, calarahil said:

I remember hearing something similar about tube amps. I went with the modi and magni stack and have been quite pleased. Small differences  with the sound floor over a sound card , and getting used to turning off my amp.

I'm glad you like it, schiit makes good products.  I basically skipped right past onboard for anything but a gaming headset, now I'm going back and trying it out and I'm surprised that it can do what it does.  I'm at the point where I think that onboard can do 70-80% of what an external solution does.  Onboard get's you almost the volume you want for a full on listening session and a lot of the sound quality.  Everything is diminishing returns on dollars spent but to me it's worth it.

Another thing I have realized is listening situation.  If I'm in my office with $250 headphones $400 dac/amp $70 cable and $50 pads I don't necessarily get a better experience than my phone with a $20 pair of headphones and $8 pads.  The difference being that on my expensive desktop setup I'm highly occupied with multi monitors, games, youtube a noisy fish tank and a chair that's not as comfortable and relaxing as sitting reclined on the couch in the dark just listening.

To me audio is highly subjective with endless variables and it's always a journey.

My future plan is to make a computer room with all the PC equipment on one side and a recliner with speakers amps and what not with a cable extension so I can sit back and actually listen to the music.

*edit: oh and if you ever want to go tube I'd recommend going OTL or something like that, it means that it's all tube, no solid state.  I recommend the little dot mkII

Open-Back - Sennheiser 6xx - Focal Elex - Phillips Fidelio X3 - Harmonicdyne Zeus -  Beyerdynamic DT1990 - *HiFi-man HE400i (2017) - *Phillips shp9500 - *SoundMAGIC HP200

Closed-Back - Rode NTH-100 - Meze 99 Neo - AKG K361-BT - Blue Microphones Lola - *Beyerdynamic DT770-80 - *Meze 99 Noir - *Blon BL-B60 *Hifiman R7dx

IEM - Tin HiFi T2 - MoonDrop Quarks - Tangzu Wan'er S.G - Moondrop Chu - QKZ x HBB - 7HZ Salnotes Zero

Headset Turtle Beach Stealth 700 V2 + xbox adapter - *Sennheiser Game One - *Razer Kraken Pro V2

DAC S.M.S.L SU-9

Class-D amp Topping A70

On 2/25/2021 at 5:37 PM, Psittac said:

I'm glad you like it, schiit makes good products.  I basically skipped right past onboard for anything but a gaming headset, now I'm going back and trying it out and I'm surprised that it can do what it does.  I'm at the point where I think that onboard can do 70-80% of what an external solution does.  Onboard get's you almost the volume you want for a full on listening session and a lot of the sound quality.  Everything is diminishing returns on dollars spent but to me it's worth it.

Another thing I have realized is listening situation.  If I'm in my office with $250 headphones $400 dac/amp $70 cable and $50 pads I don't necessarily get a better experience than my phone with a $20 pair of headphones and $8 pads.  The difference being that on my expensive desktop setup I'm highly occupied with multi monitors, games, youtube a noisy fish tank and a chair that's not as comfortable and relaxing as sitting reclined on the couch in the dark just listening.

To me audio is highly subjective with endless variables and it's always a journey.

My future plan is to make a computer room with all the PC equipment on one side and a recliner with speakers amps and what not with a cable extension so I can sit back and actually listen to the music.

*edit: oh and if you ever want to go tube I'd recommend going OTL or something like that, it means that it's all tube, no solid state.  I recommend the little dot mkII

Cheap tube amps like the Little Dot MKII are just a waste of money in my opinion. I haven't heard a single tube amp that sounds good and is cheap at the same time. I'd look into Feliks Audio line of products instead. The Euforia is the bomb, both to your ears and wallet. But I do believe you get what you pay for in this case.

14 hours ago, HumdrumPenguin said:

Cheap tube amps like the Little Dot MKII are just a waste of money in my opinion. I haven't heard a single tube amp that sounds good and is cheap at the same time. I'd look into Feliks Audio line of products instead. The Euforia is the bomb, both to your ears and wallet. But I do believe you get what you pay for in this case.

With the right tube's it's not half bad

DAC S.M.S.L SU-9

Class-D amp Topping A70

2 minutes ago, Psittac said:

With the right tube's it's not half bad

The problem with tube rolling is that you normally need to spend quite a bit until you finally find what works best for you. It defeats the purpose of trying to work within a low budget.

14 hours ago, HumdrumPenguin said:

Hybrids are also pretty good if you want to hear what tubes can kinda do while sounding good.

25 minutes ago, rice guru said:

Hybrids are also pretty good if you want to hear what tubes can kinda do while sounding good.

Gotta be picky with those as well. You have a Liquid Platinum, right? I think that one sounds very much like a solid state for example, and probably wouldn't have much of a change in sound even with very gooey tubes.

3 minutes ago, HumdrumPenguin said:

Gotta be picky with those as well. You have a Liquid Platinum, right? I think that one sounds very much like a solid state for example, and probably wouldn't have much of a change in sound even with very gooey tubes.

They have a fairly significant change but doesn't transform the amp or anything. The most noticable change from my tube swap today was in holographics better bass response and smoother treble. But yes I've heard much more significant change from a good OTL tube amp like a bottlehead crack 

2 hours ago, HumdrumPenguin said:

The problem with tube rolling is that you normally need to spend quite a bit until you finally find what works best for you. It defeats the purpose of trying to work within a low budget.

Not if you know the right people to recommend tubes, I knocked mine out of the park first try on the little dot.  Still not sold on the tubes for my DV and the little bear I got right on the second go

DAC S.M.S.L SU-9

Class-D amp Topping A70