ProxMox installation issues. Thoughts?

I'll try to be as specific as possible here.

My server had CentOS 7 installed to it previously and is now the default OS (it was initially installed via bootable USB). However, I now want to replace it with ProxMox to make other VMs.

The server is an IBM/Lenovo x3850 x5 with a IBM 88Y5351 motherboard and four Intel Xeon E7 4830 processors (32 physical cores across all of them). In BIOS, hyperthreading, Intel Virtualization (VT-x), and VT-d are all enabled.

To boot ProxMox, I used the most recent ProxMox ISO (ProxMox VE 6.3 iso release 1) etched to a 16 GB USB. I will note that the only thing that seemed a bit off was that the ISO was a mere 800 MB, which I'd imagine is pretty low for an OS.

After plugging in the ProxMox USB and going into the boot options, I selected "USB Storage," as seen below (see image "20210212_233733")

After selecting this option, I was greeted by what I assume to be a fairly nominal loading screen (see image "20210212_233813")

After this, I got the normal "ProxMox" screen with a couple options, of which I selected the top one ("Install ProxMox VE"). See image 20210212_233843.

Edit: When I select the "Install ProxMox VE" option it immediately tells me that my monitor is going into screen saver move but my server is still running.

What might I have done wrong?

20210212_233733.jpg

20210212_233813.jpg

20210212_233843.jpg

33 minutes ago, Mega2 said:

Edit: When I select the "Install ProxMox VE" option it immediately tells me that my monitor is going into screen saver move but my server is still running.

What might I have done wrong?

Do you see disk io on the usb drive? Some distros don't like to output to a monitor when booting.

Can you view the screen output via impi or connect via serial?

13 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Do you see disk io on the usb drive? Some distros don't like to output to a monitor when booting.

Can you view the screen output via impi or connect via serial?

How can I check for disk IO on the usb drive? Would it be in bios?

Also, I don't have any sort of impi to monitor set up

3 minutes ago, Mega2 said:

How can I check for disk IO on the usb drive? Would it be in bios?

Also, I don't have any sort of impi to monitor set up

Does the usb have a activity light?

Id try making the bootable usb in rufus also

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Does the usb have a activity light?

Id try making the bootable usb in rufus also

No, there's no light on this one.

Do you think Rufus would make a significant difference for this situation? Sounds to me like a screen thing, since the server sounds like it's running fine. Is there anything else I can try in the mean time?

Just now, Mega2 said:

No, there's no light on this one.

Do you think Rufus would make a significant difference for this situation? Sounds to me like a screen thing, since the server sounds like it's running fine. Is there anything else I can try in the mean time?

Might as well give rufus a try its easy, ive seen that fix issues before. Or try a different usb

Maybe try a older verison of proxmox.

16 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Might as well give rufus a try its easy, ive seen that fix issues before. Or try a different usb

Maybe try a older verison of proxmox.

I'm trying an older version. Does this set up for Rufus look good?

20210213_011347.jpg

10 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

yup looks fine

Cool, thanks.

Someone on Reddit proposed that I use Debian Buster and install ProxMox in that, as that's how they resolved a similar issue. Assuming VT-d is enabled, would i still be able to do a gpu pass through for Blender and SolidWorks?

42 minutes ago, Mega2 said:

Cool, thanks.

Someone on Reddit proposed that I use Debian Buster and install ProxMox in that, as that's how they resolved a similar issue. Assuming VT-d is enabled, would i still be able to do a gpu pass through for Blender and SolidWorks?

yea proxmox is just debian under the hood, so debian with proxmox would work the same

Problem is with X server during install.

Try this: https://robertoviola.cloud/2020/04/16/proxmox-no-screen-during-installation/

Optionally, you can take a 'long' way - under Windows or Linux create VM, with direct access to disk you want to install Proxmox to.

Install it from there, and later just boot directly to that disk from BIOS.

7 hours ago, Nick7 said:

Problem is with X server during install.

Try this: https://robertoviola.cloud/2020/04/16/proxmox-no-screen-during-installation/

Optionally, you can take a 'long' way - under Windows or Linux create VM, with direct access to disk you want to install Proxmox to.

Install it from there, and later just boot directly to that disk from BIOS.

No luck with the first link. Just the same results. Do you think it would be better for me to just install Debian Buster and install ProxMox in that?

29 minutes ago, Mega2 said:

No luck with the first link. Just the same results. Do you think it would be better for me to just install Debian Buster and install ProxMox in that?

Thats what id do. 

8 hours ago, Mega2 said:

That's one option.

Second is, as I said, to install Proxmox thru VM on some other OS, but on a disc that you going to use for it.

9 hours ago, Nick7 said:

That's one option.

Second is, as I said, to install Proxmox thru VM on some other OS, but on a disc that you going to use for it.

Thanks. For the second method, would you be able to elaborate more on what you meant?

How would I go about installing ProxMox on another OS?

1 hour ago, Mega2 said:

Thanks. For the second method, would you be able to elaborate more on what you meant?

Get anouther computer, install proxmox on there, then move the drive over, and boot from it. 

MIght have issues due to the raid card, so you have to move the raid card + drives over.

11 hours ago, Mega2 said:

If you have Windows on same computer - use either Vmware or Hyper-V.

You want to create new VM, and pass whole disk to that VM.

Then install Proxmox.

After install is complete, you can select that same disk as boot disk in your BIOS, and boot from it.

This worked for me for several different OS's: Linux, Proxmox, even works for Windows.

Can you install from Debug mode? This should set the display to 640 or something and allow you to install that way.. it may be trying to set a video mode your monitor or video card doesnt like.. These rack servers have shit internal video.. My Lenovo Thinkserver  was similar.