Intel Xeon E3 1270 V3 vs Intel i7-3770 (non-k)

Looking at online benchmarks, it seems like the Xeon 1270 V3 is a faster CPU than the i7-3770. Does it still hold it's edge over the i7-3770 (non-k) in gaming performance? I've heard that some of the Xeon chips do not work as well in gaming situations. With the current value on the market, I could essentially just swap them out. My system currently has a GTX 1070 and I'm trying to squeeze everything out of the GPU that I can. My motherboard does not support overclocking. Thanks in advance.

18 minutes ago, hunterhungryhippos said:

Looking at online benchmarks, it seems like the Xeon 1270 V3 is a faster CPU than the i7-3770. Does it still hold it's edge over the i7-3770 (non-k) in gaming performance? I've heard that some of the Xeon chips do not work as well in gaming situations. With the current value on the market, I could essentially just swap them out. My system currently has a GTX 1070 and I'm trying to squeeze everything out of the GPU that I can. My motherboard does not support overclocking. Thanks in advance.

so this is the story with consumer xeons, they basicly copy paste add ecc support and downclock the shit outa them,  i just realized that they use different sockets, your looking at a lga1150 for xeon, and the lga1155 for the i7, i think the v2's use the lga1155

the 1270 v2 still just wins by a whisker, i say just get the 3770 or the 1270 if you like, the 1280 exists to but just 100mhz more so you just get maybe 1-3 fps more in gaming

Gotcha. Idk where I read it used an 1155. So, I am looking for an 1155 chip. So a E3-1280 is a little faster than the 1270 V2? They seem to be relatively the same price (actually looks like you can find the 1280 a little cheaper).

1 minute ago, hunterhungryhippos said:

Gotcha. Idk where I read it used an 1155. So, I am looking for an 1155 chip. So a E3-1280 is a little faster than the 1270 V2? They seem to be relatively the same price (actually looks like you can find the 1280 a little cheaper).

passmark says the 1280 has less performance, not true because it has a 100mhz higher clock speed

11 hours ago, hunterhungryhippos said:

I may give the 1280 a try. Thanks for the information.

yes