RAM speed is locked, help!

Coolart1
1 minute ago, Coolart1 said:

Are you sure there isn't a major performance increase from 12gb 2400mhz to 16gb 2133mhz? I have an i7-7700 which supports up to 2400, but otherwise I don't know if this ramstick was an improvement. Can you tell me which stick was better? Both are dual channel.

Hmm, how do you arrive at the 12GB solution? 8 GB + 4 GB sticks? If so, that wouldn't run in dual channel even if you tried (atleast I think so, somebody correct me if I'm wrong). So 16GB (2x 8GB) would be better. Going from 2133 to 2400 won't give you more than a few FPS gain at most, so basically it's non-existant. If the 16GB sticks work, you should use them.

3 minutes ago, Stockholmes said:

Hmm, how do you arrive at the 12GB solution? 8 GB + 4 GB sticks? If so, that wouldn't run in dual channel even if you tried (atleast I think so, somebody correct me if I'm wrong). So 16GB (2x 8GB) would be better. Going from 2133 to 2400 won't give you more than a few FPS gain at most, so basically it's non-existant. If the 16GB sticks work, you should use them.

The Ram was 6 x 2 GB.

Just now, Coolart1 said:

The Ram was 6 x 2 GB.

Wow, you had 6 ram slots? Either way, I would still go with the 16GB even if they're slower. It will only be a few FPS at most, I think it would be better to have more RAM than that. Just my opinion though!

Just now, Stockholmes said:

Wow, you had 6 ram slots? Either way, I would still go with the 16GB even if they're slower. It will only be a few FPS at most, I think it would be better to have more RAM than that. Just my opinion though!

No no, I mean 2 sticks of 6GB. My mobo only supports 2 RAM slots, sorry for the confusion, anyway, big FPS gap or no? 

41 minutes ago, Coolart1 said:

No no, I mean 2 sticks of 6GB. My mobo only supports 2 RAM slots, sorry for the confusion, anyway, big FPS gap or no? 

Ah I see, I understood wrong 😛. As I said, it should only be a few FPS max, it would probs be better to have 4 more gigs of RAM than the slightly faster speed. We're talking like 2 FPS difference if my memory serves me right from benchmarks which were taken with i5-8400 (which is also a faster processor so the difference should be even greater).

1 hour ago, Coolart1 said:

This topic is getting stranger and stranger 😛  where did you even find 6GB sticks? 😛 there are kits as far as I know but they are 2 GB each (3 in total) 

I dont completely dismiss their existence especially since you mention you have two of them but it still sounds very strange? do you have them handy to see the sticker and give take a pic or write down what is says? (wont help with your problem it will just help my curiosity :P)  I think I can vaguely remember 6GB sticks existing but way before DDR4, although I might just think so because you mentioned it 😛

As far as your memory goes, try putting one stick at a time and see if both work because from your pic only 1 slot seems to be populated (could be that the other stick is mentioned further down if you scroll? ) 

Anyway as far as I can tell by searching the web (kinda hard since the manual of this rig is completely useless it consists mostly about troubleshooting steps if something goes wrong) you must have a intel h100 chipset... but as far as I can tell it can only support 3000Mhz modules (your CPU for sure doesnt support anything more than 2400) . 

Just to be sure download this https://www.ccleaner.com/speccy/download

Click on the left on "motherboard" and print screen it or write down what the first lines say (motherboard, southbridge model etc) 

EDIT actually while your att it print screen the "ram" section also (dont forget down in the middle to click on the bule letters saying "Slot 1" ) 

25 minutes ago, papajo said:

This topic is getting stranger and stranger 😛  where did you even find 6GB sticks? 😛 there are kits as far as I know but they are 2 GB each (3 in total) 

I dont completely dismiss their existence especially since you mention you have two of them but it still sounds very strange? do you have them handy to see the sticker and give take a pic or write down what is says? (wont help with your problem it will just help my curiosity :P)  I think I can vaguely remember 6GB sticks existing but way before DDR4, although I might just think so because you mentioned it 😛

As far as your memory goes, try putting one stick at a time and see if both work because from your pic only 1 slot seems to be populated (could be that the other stick is mentioned further down if you scroll? ) 

Anyway as far as I can tell by searching the web (kinda hard since the manual of this rig is completely useless it consists mostly about troubleshooting steps if something goes wrong) you must have a intel h100 chipset... but as far as I can tell it can only support 3000Mhz modules (your CPU for sure doesnt support anything more than 2400) . 

Just to be sure download this https://www.ccleaner.com/speccy/download

Click on the left on "motherboard" and print screen it or write down what the first lines say (motherboard, southbridge model etc) 

EDIT actually while your att it print screen the "ram" section also (dont forget down in the middle to click on the bule letters saying "Slot 1" ) 

Look I don't know where it came from, it was in my prebuilt PC. But yeah.

Just now, Coolart1 said:

Look I don't know where it came from, it was in my prebuilt PC. But yeah.

yea ok do the rest (the rest are for your help only the first question was about my curiosity 😛 )

1 minute ago, papajo said:

yea ok do the rest (the rest are for your help only the first question was about my curiosity 😛 )

Here is the motherboard:

Speccy 2_12_2021 4_22_08 PM.png

12 minutes ago, Coolart1 said:

And RAM: 

Speccy 2_12_2021 4_24_13 PM.png

Good news both of your RAM modules seem to work fine 😛 

Bad news your motherboard has an intel H110 chipset and it supports only up to 2133Mhz despite your CPU supporting upt to 2400mhz it doesnt matter mobo support comes first in this situation (actually the component with the lowest support) 

So even if you unlock the bios you could only achieve more by overclocking which wouldnt guarantee anything working without instabilities especially since the mobo is OEM low grade one... 

Btw I tried to find a ASUS G11CD-K with 12 GB of ram and couldnt find one and the supported "offtek" modules for that PC come at 4GB 8GB and 16GB you probably had 8+4 GB (which isnt ideal try to avoid in the future if possible, better to have symmetrical capacities 4+4,8+8 etc and better for the sticks to be in a kit or identical in terms of frequency latency etc) 

39 minutes ago, Coolart1 said:

And RAM: 

Can you please confirm this is your system / motherboard / bios please?

https://www.asus.com/us/Tower-PCs/G11CD/HelpDesk_BIOS/

If this is, DL the bios from there so you have it available. Be sure to save it off the system so you can use it later.

In the meantime......

I'll open the bios and see if I can modify the parameters to show higher memory frequencies and or XMP profiles.

If the Options are not available to unlock, then the bios would have to be rebuilt from the ground up. Which I won't do.

Since I'm not 100% sure it's your file, I won't make any changes. I will start looking at it now.

8 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Can you please confirm this is your system / motherboard / bios please?

https://www.asus.com/us/Tower-PCs/G11CD/HelpDesk_BIOS/

If this is, DL the bios from there so you have it available. Be sure to save it off the system so you can use it later.

In the meantime......

I'll open the bios and see if I can modify the parameters to show higher memory frequencies and or XMP profiles.

If the Options are not available to unlock, then the bios would have to be rebuilt from the ground up. Which I won't do.

Since I'm not 100% sure it's your file, I won't make any changes. I will start looking at it now.

It's similar his is G11CD-K 

But his mobo doesnt support frequencies above 2133 mhz nothing he can do about that even if he hacks the bios (which I doubt anything readily available exists he must ask for it in a bios hacking forum which usually if its a rare PC or something like that needs some "beer money" for the one that does it)  he could only OC it IF that and IF it would be stable which given the low grade of the mobo is not that likely 

I mean look at the VRM of this thing 😛 

He would be better off buying a retail motherboard but then again (if we are talking about OC) his PSU is too weak 320 watt or something like that.  so + a PSU.. which probably isnt worth the cost just to oc the ram and the GPU a few mhz 

s-l1600.jpg

2 minutes ago, papajo said:

It's similar his is G11CD-K 

But his mobo doesnt support frequencies above 2133 mhz nothing he can do about that even if he hacks the bios (which I doubt anything readily available exists he must ask for it in a bios hacking forum which usually if its a rare PC or something like that needs some "beer money" for the one that does it)  he could only OC it IF that and IF it would be stable which given the low grade of the mobo is not that likely 

I mean look at the VRM of this thing 😛 

I'm looking at the bios file right now.

The bios is written to "default" "DIMM Profile = Now = default.

Can change this to "extended user" "USER" or "Supervisor".

Then

The bios is written to "default" "DIMM Profile = Optimal or Fail safe settings = "Custom Profile" "XMP profile 1" "XMP Profile 2"

Changing DIMM profile "Access/Use" to one of three listed "extended user" "USER" or "Supervisor". Should allow use in bios.

Will probably change the Optimal profile = default to = "Custom Profile", he would then manually set up his XMP profiles instead.

Or something there abouts any ways.....

Oh I can probably also raise the power limit on the board also. But best to stick with one modification at a time. I don't have the board to test. 

Recovery bios, knowing it's an Asus board, would boot from motherboard driver disk that came with the system. The disk will recover the bios with factory shipped bios, probably be sure your cpu is support on the shipped bios (first bios released) before proceed to flash a modded bios. (If we get that far, think our time zones are different....)

5 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Oh I can probably also raise the power limit on the board also. But best to stick with one modification at a time. I don't have the board to test. 

Recovery bios, knowing it's an Asus board, would boot from motherboard driver disk that came with the system. The disk will recover the bios with factory shipped bios, probably be sure your cpu is support on the shipped bios before proceed to flash a modded bios. (If we get that far, think our time zones are different....)

This is all confusing me, but let me address something first.

I replaced the GPU with a Zotac GTX 1060 3gb mini. And since my power supply didn't have any 6 or 8 pins, I bought a Corsair power supply rated at 750 watts Platinum.

I currently have NO idea what you're talking about with my BIOS, since I'm an amateur. If anything you seem to be speaking Minecraft enchantment language when you talked about BIOS settings.

For my birthday this year, I'll be replacing my Mobo on my prebuilt with a b460 or maybe z490 board, but I will keep the case because IMO it still looks sick. 

Honestly @ShrimpBrime it would be best to show me what I would have to do or to edit through Discord as I don't think I trust myself this much editing a computer's literal brain.

18 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

I'm looking at the bios file right now.

The bios is written to "default" "DIMM Profile = Now = default.

Can change this to "extended user" "USER" or "Supervisor".

Then

The bios is written to "default" "DIMM Profile = Optimal or Fail safe settings = "Custom Profile" "XMP profile 1" "XMP Profile 2"

Changing DIMM profile "Access/Use" to one of three listed "extended user" "USER" or "Supervisor". Should allow use in bios.

Will probably change the Optimal profile = default to = "Custom Profile", he would then manually set up his XMP profiles instead.

Or something there abouts any ways.....

That will enable to set available options but the chipset it self (with whatever bios aka other motherboards with the same chipset dont support it) cant support frequencies greater than 2133Mhz (nor does the CPU support over 2400 mhz btw) 

You need to change power settings bus frequencies and god knows what else, I think you should not give TS just a simply unlocked option if the underlying foundation for it is not present it could cause damage. 

9 minutes ago, Coolart1 said:

This is all confusing me, but let me address something first.

I replaced the GPU with a Zotac GTX 1060 3gb mini. And since my power supply didn't have any 6 or 8 pins, I bought a Corsair power supply rated at 750 watts Platinum.

I currently have NO idea what you're talking about with my BIOS, since I'm an amateur. If anything you seem to be speaking Minecraft enchantment language when you talked about BIOS settings.

For my birthday this year, I'll be replacing my Mobo on my prebuilt with a b460 or maybe z490 board, but I will keep the case because IMO it still looks sick. 

Honestly @ShrimpBrime it would be best to show me what I would have to do or to edit through Discord as I don't think I trust myself this much editing a computer's literal brain.

PAPA is probably correct about chipset memory supported speeds. 

Since your are getting a z490 motherboard, just use the PC the way it is. Nothing wrong with that. 

I'd just mod the bios and you install it. Best to practice at ameture level on legacy hardware though. Video cards are generally pretty easy to mod bios with too.

Ah. 

With SkyLake the board will run 2133mhz Jedec memory kits. Kabylake will do 2400mhz Jedec kits.

Just now, ShrimpBrime said:

Ah. 

With SkyLake the board will run 2133mhz Jedec memory kits. Kabylake will do 2400mhz Jedec kits.

Yes, my i7-7700 supports 2400mhz. And this is also not important but my stock computer came with a GTX 1050 & i5-7400. And as I said previously I upgraded both of those, hope you got 'em correct for the BIOS.

Just now, Coolart1 said:

Yes, my i7-7700 supports 2400mhz. And this is also not important but my stock computer came with a GTX 1050 & i5-7400. And as I said previously I upgraded both of those, hope you got 'em correct for the BIOS.

I asked you the appropriate question already..... is the link above your system board and bios?... 

Can you take a screen shot of cpu-z motherboard tab please?

Just now, ShrimpBrime said:

I asked you the appropriate question already..... is the link above your system board and bios?... 

Can you take a screen shot of cpu-z motherboard tab please?

I mean, the computer above was a CD, I don't know where they list the CD-K but I'll find it.

Here: https://www.kitguru.net/desktop-pc/gaming-rig/dale-shaughnessy/asus-gaming-g11cd-k-gtx-1050-i5-7400-kabylake/

CPU-Z  2_12_2021 5_56_50 PM.png

Asus site does not list a K. Its the exact motherboard either way. I think the K support Oculus?

Either way, the board won't do faster than 2400mhz, so we are just wasting time otherwise.

1 minute ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Asus site does not list a K. Its the exact motherboard either way. I think the K support Oculus?

Either way, the board won't do faster than 2400mhz, so we are just wasting time otherwise.

It's most likely that they stopped production of the k series due to it's uhm, "not so good specs?"

There is no way it's the Oculus version, as the 1050 does not meet the requirements for VR. So the CD-KO is most likely a 1060 and an i5-7400 or i7-7700

If I can safely do 2400mhz I would be glad, since I want an improvement over the previous 12gig stick. I'll show you an image of it.

2 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

I doubt that i would go faster than 2133  but my biggest fear is damaging something otherwise just out of curiosity I would have linked you the bios but I wipe my hands on this one  😛