RAM speed is locked, help!

Coolart1

Hey! So I bought new RAM today and swapped my old RAM on my Asus G11CD-K (Prebuilt gaming pc) from 12GB 2400mhz to 16gb 3200mhz.

I know my Motherboard supports a max of 2400mhz, but for some reason my RAM is clocked at 2133mhz?

What's worse is when I went into the BIOS there was no way to change it, can somebody help if you have a similar problem? I'm assuming the BIOS is locked since it's a prebuilt. I don't know what I can do besides that, if there are any methods you can use to overclock the RAM without BIOS please let me know.

Thanks

- Coolart1

You need to enable XMP in your bios settings, I'm sure there's a way into it.

What CPU do you have in the system?

Does the motherboard's BIOS have anything like "XMP"? Because that is only supported on 7th gen CPU's if I remember correctly.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

TaiphoonBurner and RWEverything can supposedly do this outside of the bios. I personally would not recommend trying them because it just sounds like one of those things that shouldn't work. But they must exist for a reason right? I'm not linking them here but they're easy to find. Use only if desperate

13 minutes ago, minibois said:

What CPU do you have in the system?

Does the motherboard's BIOS have anything like "XMP"? Because that is only supported on 7th gen CPU's if I remember correctly.

Yes, I have a i7-7700, and I updated the BIOS after installing the CPU. I only have a few options in my BIOS, and I searched through all of them. Couldn't find anything related to XMP. HOWEVER I did find a devoted setting to RAM and the RAM Slots, but when I tried accessing it, all I could change was viewing RAM Slot A and B.

1 hour ago, Sp4gh3tti said:

TaiphoonBurner and RWEverything can supposedly do this outside of the bios. I personally would not recommend trying them because it just sounds like one of those things that shouldn't work. But they must exist for a reason right? I'm not linking them here but they're easy to find. Use only if desperate

I tried using TaiphoonBurner. It didn't work cause my RAM wasn't allowing the app to see its written data. I will try RWEverything right now.

Okay, so I took some photos of my bios. Seems like I can't really do anything. Can you guys show me how to use RWeverything? Thanks.

20210211_214835.jpg

20210211_214555.jpg

I've never even used it myself friend, I wouldn't know where to begin.

If I'm reading that right, it seems like there were multiple options for ram speeds/voltage? (2133/1.2v & 3200/1.35v)

Or I guess it's just showing you what the sticks are capable of? Like how tf is that useful asus...

The bios is locked. You'd have to mod it.

You're pretty much stuck with it the way it is. 

edit: 

Also, you could go as high as Jedec 2667mhz frequency memory on that board.. Anything faster will be in OC XMP profile.

Edited by ShrimpBrime
Additional Comment

22 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

The bios is locked. You'd have to mod it.

You're pretty much stuck with it the way it is. 

edit: 

Also, you could go as high as Jedec 2667mhz frequency memory on that board.. Anything faster will be in OC XMP profile.

Know Amy sources as to modding the motherboard? Hell, warranty is already over, and I'm experienced enough to stick RAM, GPU'S, and CPU'S onto a motherboard.

AMI Bios configuration program (AMIBCP) 

I highly suggest you save your current working bios file before you modify it.

GL!

8 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

AMI Bios configuration program (AMIBCP) 

I highly suggest you save your current working bios file before you modify it.

GL!

Thanks! Before I do so how do I save my current bios? Never touched bios's that much in my life. 

Oh, and I forgot to say. How DO I use AMI to unlock my BIOS? Any youtube videos? Thanks.

4 hours ago, ShrimpBrime said:

I don't have a great deal of time to walk you through it.

But here's a good start. Not your exact board, but the procedure is the same.

https://octoperf.com/blog/2018/11/20/asus-g701vi-bios-unlock/#software-tools

This is for the G701, will this work on my Motherboard? Wanna make sure I don't brick my BIOS. 

By the way, I called Asus Tech Support. Those damn greedy associates said I would have to pay for the support. What kind of tech support requires you to pay for servicing for code included in your motherboard? Damn Capitalism.

Thank you for all the support.

I know its for another motherboard. But like I said, the procedure is the same.

You always save the original bios, copy it and mod the copy.

2 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

I know its for another motherboard. But like I said, the procedure is the same.

You always save the original bios, copy it and mod the copy.

So, I tried installing the AMIFlash Aptio but I can't install it? When I download the update tool it just gives me a bunch of files, no exe's. Can you just tell me what to install? I can go from the rest of the guide you've sent me.

You may need an older version. 

I would love to help, but I'm not at my desk for about 8 more hours. Then I can help better.

44 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

You may need an older version. 

I would love to help, but I'm not at my desk for about 8 more hours. Then I can help better.

Okay. I tried going through the instructions given by the website. And are you sure I need to change my Sata Controllers to unlock my BIOS? I'm extremely confused about this. Is it possible if you could run me through when you get home via Discord? Thanks.

I dont know if the bios is locked but from  the pic it seems to me that you have just one slot populated did you buy just 1 stick? 

Also what is your mobos model? 

15 minutes ago, Coolart1 said:

Okay. I tried going through the instructions given by the website. And are you sure I need to change my Sata Controllers to unlock my BIOS? I'm extremely confused about this. Is it possible if you could run me through when you get home via Discord? Thanks.

No, Sata comtroller was just a locked feature in that particular bios. 

But unlocking other features is the same procedure.

23 minutes ago, papajo said:

I dont know if the bios is locked but from  the pic it seems to me that you have just one slot populated did you buy just 1 stick? 

Also what is your mobos model? 

There are 2 sticks, there is an option to select slot A and B. My motherboard only supports Dual and Single channel ram so I went with Dual channel. Motherboard model is well.. Asus G11CD-K, I tried checking with wmic and CPU-Z, that's all the information I get regarding the name.

13 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

No, Sata comtroller was just a locked feature in that particular bios. 

But unlocking other features is the same procedure.

Oh, alright. Well where would I look to finding my Memory?

Personally I wouldn't try risking it. It's an OEM board, chances are you will just brick it. Atleast I wouldn't even dare to try. The risks outweigh the potential gain. Intel CPU's don't even get that much more performance from faster RAM. Doubly so for an older processor like yours. I mean sure, it would help, but not *that* much.

10 minutes ago, Stockholmes said:

Personally I wouldn't try risking it. It's an OEM board, chances are you will just brick it. Atleast I wouldn't even dare to try. The risks outweigh the potential gain. Intel CPU's don't even get that much more performance from faster RAM. Doubly so for an older processor like yours. I mean sure, it would help, but not *that* much.

Are you sure there isn't a major performance increase from 12gb 2400mhz to 16gb 2133mhz? I have an i7-7700 which supports up to 2400, but otherwise I don't know if this ramstick was an improvement. Can you tell me which stick was better? Both are dual channel.