Getting Masters degree in Computer Science worth it?

trama09

I am graduating in a couple month and haven't been getting any offers that I want. Most of them have been consulting companies that have very poor ratings and no-name companies. 

Should I stay in school and continue my education? 

CPU Intel Core i7-4790K Motherboard ASUS Saberthooth Z97 Mark1 RAM Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB @ 2133MHZ GPU 2 X MSI GeForce GTX GTX 980TI GAMING 6G SLI Case Phantex Enthoo Evolv ATX Storage Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB / Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB PSU Corsair RM1000i Display Asus 4K PB287Q Cooling Noctua NF-A14 FLX & NF-F12 PWM /Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm Keyboard Corsair K70 Mouse ROCCAT Kone XTD Sound Card Asus Xonar STX

Yes. More people/ companys will want to employ you that is also the reason why i'm stuck in university untill i have my doctor title. 

You'll just be more expensive to employ, and, after a few years of working without a master's degree, you'll be just as productive.

Intel i5 6600k~Asus Maximus VIII Hero~G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 8GB DDR4-3200 CL-16~Sapphire Radeon R9 Fury Tri-X~Phanteks Enthoo Pro M~Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB~SeaSonic Snow Silent 750~BenQ XL2730Z QHD 144Hz FreeSync~Cooler Master Seidon 240M~Varmilo VA87M (Cherry MX Brown)~Corsair Vengeance M95~Oppo PM-3~Windows 10 Pro~http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ynmBnQ

A masters/phd should help get you to the interview process easier. Once you get that interview, obviously you still have to do well.

You'll probably also be more likely considered for research oriented positions.

With that said, I'm not doing my masters in Comp Sci. I'll just try to make it with a bachelors. I'm finishing up my final year but have been lucky to find a good job already (been working with a company since 2011).

I'm not saying it's a bad idea, but my dad has no official degree yet manages all networking in his business, across the entire US, making six figures a year.

The issue is, he's been denied raises before simply because somebody in the same position had a degree, so the company gave the other the raise because he was seen as more valuable. Not only, but my grandfather is almost entirely why he has that job, since my dad had no background or degree prior. He certainly has the knowledge, but those who hired him didn't know that until he worked.

It can help when finding a job, but it might not completely help better you for the job.

This guy has worked for AMD, HP, and a couple other places throughout his career. He hates AMD because of their work conditions, so my PC is the only AMD rig in the house, lol.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

I've had a good handful of interview, but the technical portion always wrecks me. I can program, but can't remember the crap I learned in my intro classes.

CPU Intel Core i7-4790K Motherboard ASUS Saberthooth Z97 Mark1 RAM Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB @ 2133MHZ GPU 2 X MSI GeForce GTX GTX 980TI GAMING 6G SLI Case Phantex Enthoo Evolv ATX Storage Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB / Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB PSU Corsair RM1000i Display Asus 4K PB287Q Cooling Noctua NF-A14 FLX & NF-F12 PWM /Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm Keyboard Corsair K70 Mouse ROCCAT Kone XTD Sound Card Asus Xonar STX

I've had a good handful of interview, but the technical portion always wrecks me. I can program, but can't remember the crap I learned in my intro classes.

It's easy to forget things you don't practice. A lot of CS can be theory or research related at the higher level and can leave you a little rusty when it comes to programming. Keep up with personal or open source projects on your own to keep your programming skills fresh. This gives the added bonus of being able to show sample code.

Also, review things that you might need to remember before an interview if you're feeling rusty (OOP concepts, Data Structures, Algorithms, etc). You've been to multiple interviews so you have an idea of the kind of questions they'll ask.

It can take time, but adding some solid online profiles from well recognized sites (topcoder, stackoverflow, etc), or being a contributor on a large open source project can also look really good for you as a developer all the while keeping you sharp.

if you are not guaranteed a better job then it is a gamble. you might end up stacking shelves.

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

I'd say if you can win the lottery, then do that.

Otherwise it really depends on what you want or more specifically what your expected employer wants.