Filling an old AIO , should i top up all the way? or leave a tiny of air in the system ?

sykotikman

I have  an old AIO (Enermax liqtech and it's   6 year old now ) , and have noticed my temps rising a bit , so decided that though permeation  the AIO need "topping up" 

so after removing the AIO from the PC  and removing  the cold plate -  topping it up as much i as can ( no air bubble any more )  and filling it right up the level of where the cold plate connects to the pump ) ,  i refitted the cold plate and connected it back into the PC ,

ran the PC for a while and the temps where so much better ( 10 degrees lower ) 

but it got me thinking . should i have filled it  all the way the top or should i left a tiny bit of air in the loop for expansion  ? 

Most AIO manufacturers leave a tiny bit of air inside the loop, most likely for expansion as the coolant heats up and has to go somewhere, otherwise you could build up pressure inside the loop (my hypothesis). Can't believe you got 6 years out of the AIO so far. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

4 minutes ago, SpiderMan said:

Can't believe you got 6 years out of the AIO so far.

That's not that old. My first gen Corsair H100 is still cooling my overclocked 3930k to this day. It's 9 years old @SpiderMan

Just now, gal-m said:

That's not that old. My first gen Corsair H100 is still cooling my overclocked 3930k to this day. It's 9 years old @SpiderMan

Man...coming from a guy that don't trust AIOs, I'd be scared to even have one for that long!!

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

Man...coming from a guy that don't trust AIOs, I'd be scared to even have one for that long!

I'm currently in the process of building a new PC, which will probably be completed at the beginning of summer 2021. I was actually thinking about giving this 9 year old AIO away to someone like Gamers Nexus maybe, if he'd take it. I think it would make for a FANTASTIC video about what an REAAAALLLY old AIO cooler looks like and how much performance it looses over time @SpiderMan.

1 minute ago, gal-m said:

I'm currently in the process of building a new PC, which will probably be completed at the beginning of summer 2021. I was actually thinking about giving this 9 year old AIO away to someone like Gamers Nexus maybe, if he'd take it. I think it would make for a FANTASTIC video about what an REAAAALLLY old AIO cooler looks like and how much performance it looses over time @SpiderMan.

That would be very interesting to see Gamers Nexus do, and perhaps a teardown to see how everything degraded inside. 

4 minutes ago, gal-m said:

also if Gamers Nexus does not want it " David does tech stuff" should take it.  really like him

QUOTE ME  FOR ANSWER.

Main PC:

Spoiler

|Ryzen 7 3700x, OC to 4.2ghz @1.3V, 67C, or 4.4ghz @1.456V, 87C || Asus strix 5700 XT, +50 core, +50 memory, +50 power (not a great overclocker) || Asus Strix b550-A || G.skill trident Z Neo rgb 32gb 3600mhz cl16-19-19-19-39, oc to 3733mhz with the same timings || Cooler Master ml360 RGB AIO || Phanteks P500A Digital || Thermaltake ToughPower grand RGB750w 80+gold || Samsung 850 250gb and Adata SX 6000 Lite 500gb || Toshiba 5400rpm 1tb || Asus Rog Theta 7.1 || Asus Rog claymore || Asus Gladius 2 origin gaming mouse || Monitor 1 Asus 1080p 144hz || Monitor 2 AOC 1080p 75hz || 

Test Rig.

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 3400G || Gigabyte b450 S2H || Hyper X fury 2x4gb 2666mhz cl 16 ||Stock cooler || Antec NX100 || Silverstone essential 400w || Transgend SSD 220s 480gb ||

Just Sold

Spoiler

| i3 9100F || Msi Gaming X gtx 1050 TI || MSI Z390 A-Pro || Kingston 1x16gb 2400mhz cl17 || Stock cooler || Kolink Horizon RGB || Corsair CV 550w || Pny CS900 120gb ||

Tier lists for building a PC.

Motherboard tier list. Tier A for overclocking 5950x. Tier B for overclocking 5900x, Tier C for overclocking 5800X. Tier D for overclocking 5600X. Tier F for 4/6 core Cpus at stock. Tier E avoid.

(Also case airflow matter or if you are using Downcraft air cooler)

Spoiler

Gpu tier list. Rtx 3000 and RX 6000 not included since not so many reviews. Tier S for Water cooling. Tier A and B for overcloking. Tier C stock and Tier D avoid.

( You can overclock Tier C just fine, but it can get very loud, that is why it is not recommended for overclocking, same with tier D)

Spoiler

Psu tier List. Tier A for Rtx 3000, Vega and RX 6000. Tier B For anything else. Tier C cheap/IGPU. Tier D and E avoid.

(RTX 3000/ RX 6000 Might run just fine with higher wattage tier B unit, Rtx 3070 runs fine with tier B units)

Spoiler

Cpu cooler tier list. Tier 1&2 for power hungry Cpus with Overclock. Tier 3&4 for overclocking Ryzen 3,5,7 or lower power Intel Cpus. Tier 5 for overclocking low end Cpus or 4/6 core Ryzen. Tier 6&7 for stock. Tier 8&9 Ryzen stock cooler performance. Do not waste your money!

Spoiler

Storage tier List. Tier A for Moving files/  OS. Tier B for OS/Games. Tier C for games. Tier D budget Pcs. Tier E if on sale not the worst but not good.

(With a grain of salt, I use tier C for OS myself)

Spoiler

Case Tier List. Work In Progress. Most Phanteks airflow series cases already done!

Ask me anything :)

perhaps a teardown to see how everything degraded inside

Definitely!!

I'd PAY to watch someone commenting on it haha!

It would also represent the real world VERY WELL, since the system pretty much runs most days of the week about 8-12 hours a day, so it truly is quite heavily used @SpiderMan.

8 minutes ago, SpiderMan said:

Most AIO manufacturers leave a tiny bit of air inside the loop, most likely for expansion as the coolant heats up and has to go somewhere, otherwise you could build up pressure inside the loop (my hypothesis). Can't believe you got 6 years out of the AIO so far. 

That's what got me thinking , i know manufacturers do this , so it must be for a reason ( expansion ) 

think ill take a tiny bit of air out just to be on the safe side ..

and yea 6 year is good going , it might not look the prettiest  AIO  but (in Jayz words ) it is built like a tank lol

4 minutes ago, SavageNeo said:

David does tech stuff" should take it.  really like him

You're right @SavageNeo! I recently stumbled upon his channel and I like it a lot too.

Well I think someone in the tech community would LOVE to do a video on it (I have the original box, fans and everything hahaha). I'll prob start a thread on this forum, as soon as I'm ready to give it up, so in about a couple of months 🙂. What would be even better is if someone could get in touch with e.g. GN or David does tech, or any other reviewer/YouTuber. 

26 minutes ago, sykotikman said:

I have  an old AIO (Enermax liqtech and it's   6 year old now ) , and have noticed my temps rising a bit , so decided that though permeation  the AIO need "topping up" 

so after removing the AIO from the PC  and removing  the cold plate -  topping it up as much i as can ( no air bubble any more )  and filling it right up the level of where the cold plate connects to the pump ) ,  i refitted the cold plate and connected it back into the PC ,

ran the PC for a while and the temps where so much better ( 10 degrees lower ) 

but it got me thinking . should i have filled it  all the way the top or should i left a tiny bit of air in the loop for expansion  ? 

A tiny bit of air is a good thing to not have any pressure issues.

I think some one did the math already, you have to leave room for expansion, so a "tiny" bit of air will not do.. I would start with the rad 3/4 full or so with an empty block and tubes and see how she does.

I honestly don't know what I am talking about, but to me it seems logical.

AMD R9 5900X | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, T30,TL-C12 Pro
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14 1.5v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1496 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

This is all upside down. 

You should not want any air in the loop. Get as much out as you can. Your going to need to do alot of shaking and letting it hang(holding) with your fill spot(cold plate)at the highest point. 

Once again these people that are telling you to leave air in the loop are wrong.

Also what did you fill it with?

1 hour ago, narrdarr said:

This is all upside down. 

You should not want any air in the loop. Get as much out as you can. Your going to need to do alot of shaking and letting it hang(holding) with your fill spot(cold plate)at the highest point. 

Once again these people that are telling you to leave air in the loop are wrong.

Also what did you fill it with?

Have you owned an AIO/CLC?

They are not full.

36 minutes ago, freeagent said:

Have you owned an AIO/CLC?

They are not full.

I own 3 and have refurb 1 of them( h100i v2). There is only air in them because of manufacturing tolerances. However they do also try to remove as much air as they can. Some even use a vacuum to pull the air out and fill with the fluid. Again you do not want air in the loop. Hand filling a clc you can't get all the air out anyways you just have to do the best you can. 

Here a couple pics of the grime that was in the aio. 

Its also best to refill with EG or PG mixed with distilled water. At about 30%. Although you can ek cyrofuel or primochill utopia. Although I dont think they will last as long. I did use utopia and looking forward to opening it up as its a few months or more and want to see how well the anticorrosive solution has combated the mixed metals.

20200924_123117.jpg

20200924_125241.jpg

20200924_123130.jpg

20200924_123143.jpg

Down and dirty just how I like it! I'm going to open mine today or tomorrow to see what she looks like! 

Thank you sir 👍

13 minutes ago, freeagent said:

Down and dirty just how I like it! I'm going to open mine today or tomorrow to see what she looks like! 

Thank you sir 👍

You mean to disassemble with an 8 pound maul??? Hell yeah! +1!!

Oh wait... you didn't really mean it that way did you lol....

4 minutes ago, freeagent said:

Thank you sir 👍

Don't open it unless you are able to fill it. Leaving it exposed to air will accelerate corrosion. If its bad clean it.with a tooth brush. Toothpaste works, simplegreen works better. Also the propeller is magnetic in many. So if you can remove it and clean underneath. Its important to keep the pump from grinding or worse, seizing. 

20200924_140753.jpg

20200924_140819.jpg

20200924_140810.jpg

Ok maybe I’ll leave it until I’m ready to fill..