Best Crosshair Overlay Program

There are a few out there, like myself, who either hate their ingame crosshairs, don't have one, or have "Where the hell is my crosshair?" syndrome. There are also others who enjoy editing their game and making it feel more like their own. If you're either one of these, or just genuinely curious, you might enjoy looking into this. During my search to find the best crosshair overlay solution, in the farthest regions of google, I found a program that was created for business, that, funny as it is, does the job better than mumble, Asus monitors, programs that were created especially for crosshair overlays, and whatever in between.

It's called Custom Desktop Logo and it allows you to easily center your crosshair, edit it's alpha, position, the file that's being used, and most interestingly, it's animations.

An example of its drop down menu where you can: close it, hide it (very helpful) and go to it's settings, (but I usually use the .ini file located inside it's directory ^-^). If you're going to play a game that uses a different crosshair or not use this program at all then there you have it.

2BldaXl.png

An example of me editing the crosshair in Paint.net on my right monitor (my preferred program) and messing with the settings in both the .ini file and in the nice little ui the program has on my left (The program displaying the ini is NotePad++).

e1k9wg7.png

Like the crosshair you have in a game but still lose track of it? Try adding a circle or line with multiple colors to make it stand out in both bright and dark environments...or add some epileptic animations for more fun.

Lq6XhSG.png

Games like Tribes:Ascend are notorious for having the worst crosshairs so you can turn off the ingame one and use one of your own. Games like Rust or Dayz can go crazy with animations and what the crosshair looks like as well.

This one is using 18fps but it's sort of...a picture.

E2UgdOH.png

-I know crosshair overlays are debated in games that are supposed to be 'realistic' but I see no problem with it. It's not 'cheating' or anything like that but I don't really want to start that debate again. 

-As far as the animations go I haven't noticed any performance decrease using them but my computer is slightly beefy (gtx 660), however, when I tried doing a decently large 30 fps crosshair on my shitty school laptop it didn't really start doing bad until it covered what was basically the whole screen.

-Some people won't understand the point of this and especially the point of animations but I love it.

-Know how to put programs in startup files or immediately start a program off a flash drive when it's plugged in? Go ahead and flash gigantic flashy pictures and troll faces on other people's monitors.

The version that I currently have and the few crosshairs in it. I think the project was abandoned 2009 or 2010ish.

http://www68.zippyshare.com/v/25653884/file.html

Will cheat systems detect this? Really not worth losing your Origin/Steam account for a crosshair.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

Will cheat systems detect this? Really not worth losing your Origin/Steam account for a crosshair.

Good call I didn't think about that, now I'm curious.

Current Build: Case: Define R4 White/Window CPU: i5 3470 @4.0Ghz GPU: GTX 680 DCUII +500Mhz(Mem) Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO Monitor: Acer Monitor 1920x1080 MOBO: Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 Storage: 2TB HDD, 120GB 840 EVO (OS)

Future Build: 4670K, GTX 780 MSI TwinFrozr OC, Z87X-D3H, 8GB @1866Mhz, 120GB SSD, 1TB HDD, 750D, RM 650W, Custom Loop. White/Blue/Black Colour Scheme. I literally cannot wait *_*

No, they will not. The program overlays on your entire screen. It will be there on everything you do if you don't turn it off, so it in no way affects the game. Things like fraps and mumble display overlays on the game itself which SOME games will detect but this doesn't even do that. Since this program is so random I'm sure they wouldn't even notice it if they did happen to find it. I've known people who used mumble crosshairs and other things for years and didn't get banned. I almost think you can't get banned for doing it since anyone could put tape or whatever on their screen and even more so with the Asus monitors. I'm sure you'll be fine.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey I tried this out and noticed that one has to be in windowed mode for this to work, is there any ways around this, because it really annoys me when playing. Otherwise the software has been great, also if you happened to know if there is a way I can bind a key so toggle the cross hair off and on, that would be great. 

Hey I tried this out and noticed that one has to be in windowed mode for this to work, is there any ways around this, because it really annoys me when playing. Otherwise the software has been great, also if you happened to know if there is a way I can bind a key so toggle the cross hair off and on, that would be great. 

I've thought about both of the things presented. To be honest, I had no idea it didn't work in fullscreen until a day after I posted this because I literally don't play any games in fullscreen, so sorry if you can't settle for that alternative. I didn't write it so I wouldn't know how to go about making it overlay your entire screen and the same can be said about the bindable key. If I knew how to look into the source code of it and create a bindable key I would've :/ Anyone know how I can do that? Thanks for the reply and glad you guys like it.

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone,

I'm sorry for bumping this thread a little.

I was wondering, is there any option to set the logo on mouse coordinates? The only game I need this for is League of Legends, and since you move the cursor in this game, it has no use to have the logo in the middle. 

Any idea how to get this done? Or any suggestions on other programs? 

Thanks in advance

I don't understand why people need a visual marker to figure out where the middle of the monitor is lol.

Intel Core i7 930 // GIGABYTE X58-UD7 rev1 // Corsair Dominator 3x4GB // GPU MSI 7870 // Fractal Design R4 // 256GB Samsung SSD 840 Pro 1TB Samsung SpinPoint 3TB Seagate Barracuda  // Corsair 1000W // Dell 2713H // Vortex Poker II Ducky DK9008 // Logitech G400s // SteelSeries Qck+ DotA 2 Edition // Swan D1080-IV Audioengine A5+ Audioengine S8 // ASUS Xonar Essence STX - Albums http://imgur.com/a/wkJSM#2 // http://imgur.com/a/V2idF#0

I don't understand why people need a visual marker to figure out where the middle of the monitor is lol.

Me neither.

Hello everyone,

I'm sorry for bumping this thread a little.

I was wondering, is there any option to set the logo on mouse coordinates? The only game I need this for is League of Legends, and since you move the cursor in this game, it has no use to have the logo in the middle. 

Any idea how to get this done? Or any suggestions on other programs? 

Thanks in advance

I've been too lazy to look into the source code of the program as of late to try modifying it but I'll look into that eventually. There are programs out there that will convert your actual mouse cursor into a different image or you could choose from the ones windows provides.

I've always had a problem seeing my crosshair on any game I play because to me and others I know it gets lost in the picture. Also, I like customizing everything about a game. If I can't change almost everything about a games looks, and how it plays then I probably won't play it. One reason I'm bound eternally to TF2 :/

• 7 months later...

Help please!

The crosshair does not work in full screen games ... Only Window mode.   :( 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Ten years ago (VietcongMP) I was using RED.DOT.exe (Self explanatory?)

Can change its size too with hotkeys...

/Seems the original program is gone, has been reworked (and its worse)

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

• 4 weeks later...

My team has developed Reticle Pro, a crosshair overlay program which is very quick and easy to use as you can switch from one crosshair image to another and turn it on and off by using hotkeys. Plus you can pick the window you want the crosshair image to be centered in and adjust the x-axis and y-axis of the image that is currently displayed. The software is currently in its Beta stage as the final version will be much more accurate and work on full screen windows.

Example of a crosshair image on the screen:

rpoExample.png

How the software looks:

rec1.png

If interested go to http://www.bestgamingmonitors.co.uk/reticlepro

#1 source for all gaming monitors.

I just took a Permanent and drew it right in the center of my screen :)

I just took a Permanent and drew it right in the center of my screen :)

lol you could of used something other than a "permanent"

#1 source for all gaming monitors.

• 1 year later...

Hello all

I just create an account to thank this topic. It worked very well for me on Windows 10 in ARK Survival Evolved.

Thanks @Krocket

I'm gonna take advantage of the new account to surf this forum. It seems really interesting

• 8 months later...

Help me do this, guide me: Create 2 points for the plane in bf1.
Thanks!!!

I use the one that is integrated into my PG279Q -> it is horribly big and ugly...but does the job.

I would be interested in a good alternative as well.