GPU Screws

FR4M3S
Go to solution Solved by FR4M3S,
On 2/1/2021 at 4:49 PM, SpiderMan said:

Firstly, have you tried using the correct size bit that matches the screw head type??? This is very important to ensure the head won't strip. Also, put downward pressure into the screw with the screwdriver as you try to turn CCW to remove the screw.

If you can't get enough torque, have you thought about using a vise grip on the screwdriver and apply the same principle, applying downward pressure, and turn the vise grip around the screwdriver CCW??

On 2/1/2021 at 4:44 PM, flibberdipper said:

I personally wouldn't go about spraying WD-40 on it. Cleanup would be a bit of a bitch. Carefully blasting them with a hairdryer on low might help but I'd be a bit doubtful on that.

On 2/1/2021 at 4:07 PM, Biomecanoid said:

One screw looks partially stripped

On 1/31/2021 at 8:11 PM, kelvinhall05 said:

Still a shitty idea. A drill does not have the torque OP seems to need, and it would be a massive pain to keep the bit seated in the screw head and not have the drill strip it.

On 1/31/2021 at 8:09 PM, ragnarok0273 said:

Not drill them out, use the drill as a motorized screwdriver.

I got the screws out. Turns out that my screwdriver is not a really high-quality product, because it's handle was the only thing that was rotating when I was triying to get the screws out. We fixed the problem by putting the screwdriver in the screw socket and grabbing it with pilers and rotating it that way.

I am currently disassembling my MSI R9 380 2GB graphics card. This card is about 5 years old.

The problem is that I can't unscrew pretty much none of the screwes that are screwed into metal,

including the ones that hold the back plate. They aren't stripped, they are just really tight. Is there

anything I could do about it?

If you have the correct size bit so there's no slippage, you could always just do it in a way where you can leverage more of your weight and then turn it with the hand being used to do so. Had to do that on my 7950 what seems like an eternity ago and it worked out just fine.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

3 minutes ago, ragnarok0273 said:

Drill?

But will I be able to get them back in if i drill them out?

30 minutes ago, FR4M3S said:

I am currently disassembling my MSI R9 380 2GB graphics card. This card is about 5 years old.

The problem is that I can't unscrew pretty much none of the screwes that are screwed into metal,

including the ones that hold the back plate. They aren't stripped, they are just really tight. Is there

anything I could do about it?

Since you can't unscrew none of the screws, it can't be that all screws are problematic. You safest bet is to get somebody else to help you someone stronger or someone more experienced.   

An electric screwdriver cant strip the screws and if you drill out the screws it would throw tiny pieces of metal all over your computer internals. Not recommended. Are you sure you are using the correct tools ?

Make sure you're using the right size screwdriver bit so that it's not slipping, then just wrap a towel or microfiber around the screwdriver handle and adjust your grip so you're using your arm to twist instead of your wrist. Could also just ask someone who is stronger than you.

54 minutes ago, ragnarok0273 said:

Drill?

OP said the screws aren't stripped. Why the fuck would they drill them out?

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

2 hours ago, kelvinhall05 said:

elephants

Just now, ragnarok0273 said:

Still a shitty idea. A drill does not have the torque OP seems to need, and it would be a massive pain to keep the bit seated in the screw head and not have the drill strip it.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

6 hours ago, ragnarok0273 said:

Drill?

3 hours ago, ragnarok0273 said:

I suggest you start saying what you mean from the start.

If you plan to comment then make known what you intend for the OP to understand, I saw your first comment as random and very pointless.

If you cannot comment coherently then don't post something that will confuse the OP.  (this is also known as post farming, dont do it).

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

23 hours ago, ragnarok0273 said:

Drill?

23 hours ago, flibberdipper said:

If you have the correct size bit so there's no slippage, you could always just do it in a way where you can leverage more of your weight and then turn it with the hand being used to do so. Had to do that on my 7950 what seems like an eternity ago and it worked out just fine.

22 hours ago, Biomecanoid said:

Since you can't unscrew none of the screws, it can't be that all screws are problematic. You safest bet is to get somebody else to help you someone stronger or someone more experienced.   

An electric screwdriver cant strip the screws and if you drill out the screws it would throw tiny pieces of metal all over your computer internals. Not recommended. Are you sure you are using the correct tools ?

22 hours ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Make sure you're using the right size screwdriver bit so that it's not slipping, then just wrap a towel or microfiber around the screwdriver handle and adjust your grip so you're using your arm to twist instead of your wrist. Could also just ask someone who is stronger than you.

Hey everyone. I figured that adding some photos of the screws might help solve the issue. So here they are. Also, initially I forgot to mention that I actually got one of the screws out. It unscrewed without a single problem. So I'm also adding a photo of the hole and the screw itself. Maybe I should try heating/freezing them

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

1 minute ago, FR4M3S said:

Hey everyone. I figured that adding some photos of the screws might help solve the issue. So here they are. Also, initially I forgot to mention that I actually got one of the screws out. It unscrewed without a single problem. So I'm also adding a photo of the hole and the screw itself

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

By googling I found that adding some WD-40 or heating/freezing it might help. Is that a good idea?

17 minutes ago, FR4M3S said:

By googling I found that adding some WD-40 or heating/freezing it might help. Is that a good idea?

I personally wouldn't go about spraying WD-40 on it. Cleanup would be a bit of a bitch. Carefully blasting them with a hairdryer on low might help but I'd be a bit doubtful on that.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Firstly, have you tried using the correct size bit that matches the screw head type??? This is very important to ensure the head won't strip. Also, put downward pressure into the screw with the screwdriver as you try to turn CCW to remove the screw.

If you can't get enough torque, have you thought about using a vise grip on the screwdriver and apply the same principle, applying downward pressure, and turn the vise grip around the screwdriver CCW??

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

On 2/1/2021 at 4:49 PM, SpiderMan said:

On 2/1/2021 at 4:44 PM, flibberdipper said:

On 2/1/2021 at 4:07 PM, Biomecanoid said:

On 1/31/2021 at 8:11 PM, kelvinhall05 said:

On 1/31/2021 at 8:09 PM, ragnarok0273 said:

I got the screws out. Turns out that my screwdriver is not a really high-quality product, because it's handle was the only thing that was rotating when I was triying to get the screws out. We fixed the problem by putting the screwdriver in the screw socket and grabbing it with pilers and rotating it that way.