GTA IV runs at 10 FPS permanently

tmunited99

So a few months back I could play this game fine, 60 FPS no problem. Now, when I install it and play, I get 10 FPS even in the menus. What the heck is wrong? I tried installing older GPU drivers, I tried infinite ammounts of launch options, I tried different older versions and patches of the game, which ran slightly better but still 15 FPS. Now I installed it on my 6 year old Lenovo B50-70, where it runs FLAWLESS. Just gotta lower the settings. I am completely out of ideas why this could be. Please help, I wanna play this game so bad.

My rig:

GPU: Sapphire RX470 Nitro (4GB)

CPU: i7-4770

HDD: WD Purple 1000GB 7200RPM

RAM: 2x 4GB 1333MHz DDR3

Monitor: 1080p 60Hz, DVI-to-HDMI connection

Forgot to mention, if this is of any importance, laptop runs on Windows 7, and my PC is on Windows 10. I did try compatibility settings.

As obvious as it sounds have you gone through the in game settings meticulously, to absolutely make sure you haven't got something enabled which is eating frames?

I don't know if GTA has ray tracing, but that one setting can obliterate your frames, easily dropping you from an acceptable 60fps to a flip book, headache inducing 15fps.

I'm definitely not saying it is ray tracing, I'm just using it as an example of a setting that can have a massive impact on performance. 

You've probably checked and double checked all that, but I just thought I'd ask.

If it can be ruled out as a "software" issue (i.e not something related to the games settings) then, by default, it is more likely to be a "hardware" issue (i.e related to your computer's components, drivers, updates etc...).

Could be windows telemetry bloatware. They just use Windows to spy on everyone. Steam OS is the future, tired of windows bloatware and stuff running the background like Fax machine service and High Precision Event Timer that gamers dont need.

Problem fixed. The solution was reinstalling DirectX.... what the hell

On 1/30/2021 at 4:50 PM, _princess_ said:

Could be windows telemetry bloatware. They just use Windows to spy on everyone. Steam OS is the future, tired of windows bloatware and stuff running the background like Fax machine service and High Precision Event Timer that gamers dont need.

Valve hasn’t killed that yet? Last I checked Steam OS really wasn’t gaining ground. Steam OS has helped with Linux gaming, but I’m afraid Windows will continue to be the better option. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.