Is 3200 MHz vs 3600 MHz memory speed a big enough difference to upgrade?

I have a Ryzen 7 3700X and an RTX 3070. I currently have 32GB of DDR4- 3200. Would upgrading to a higher speed make any difference to performance FPS wise? 

TL;DR no, invest your money on literally anything else

CPU: Intel core i7-8086K Case: CORSAIR Crystal 570X RGB CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H150i PRO RGB Storage: Samsung 980 Pro - 2TB NVMe SSD PSU: EVGA 1000 GQ, 80+ GOLD 1000W, Semi Modular GPU: MSI Radeon RX 580 GAMING X 8G RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200mhz Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E Gaming

Just now, Jumballi said:

TL;DR no, invest your money on literally anything else

Is there a longer more detailed answer

I'd spend about an hour or two trying to overclock your memory to 3600MHz, use Ryzen clock tuner if you want to make it easier. Most kits of memory can get an extra 300-400MHz if you try and maybe slightly relax the timings. Just going to buy a new kit on the other hand wouldn't really be worth it, though, since you'd get 3-4 FPS at most, and an overclock would get that back pretty easily.

Just now, Mr - Fahrenheit said:

Is there a longer more detailed answer

Yes, but it boils down to you could have used the difference in cost of new ram and putting it in a better part, like potentially getting a 3080 over the 3070 you have now. 

Also ryzen is finicky with ram, and 32gb at higher speeds could cause other issues, if it supports it all(likely but not guaranteed). Unless you also plan to add a ryzen 5000 series CPU to better mitigate that issue, you’re better off just putting aside the 2-5% increase in performance that not all games would see.

CPU: Intel core i7-8086K Case: CORSAIR Crystal 570X RGB CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H150i PRO RGB Storage: Samsung 980 Pro - 2TB NVMe SSD PSU: EVGA 1000 GQ, 80+ GOLD 1000W, Semi Modular GPU: MSI Radeon RX 580 GAMING X 8G RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200mhz Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E Gaming

1 minute ago, Jumballi said:

Also ryzen is finicky with ram, and 32gb at higher speeds could cause other issues, if it supports it all(likely but not guaranteed). Unless you also plan to add a ryzen 5000 series CPU to better mitigate that issue, you’re better off just putting aside the 2-5% increase in performance that not all games would see.

Ryzen 5000 and Ryzen 3000 have the same memory controller, and it's a pretty darn good one at that. Memory hasn't been iffy since Zen+, so it should be more than able to handle that. 

One could try to overclock 3200, but tldr, so long you are having the ranks you need and good enough speed with running the infinitive fabric 1:1 you should get most out of it.

Until higher MHZ gets cheaper or going into DDR5 this would be bigger factors.

i jumped from 64gb ddr4 2666 to 64gb 3600 and i dont notice anything different

There is no such thing as a bad PC, there are only BETTER PCs

15 minutes ago, Zenedge said:

i jumped from 64gb ddr4 2666 to 64gb 3600 and i dont notice anything different

did you set it to run at faster speeds, its mostly for gaining more FPS or be a little faster with load. Unless limited by other things in your system.

25 minutes ago, Quackers101 said:

did you set it to run at faster speeds, its mostly for gaining more FPS or be a little faster with load. Unless limited by other things in your system.

i got some tridentz, and yes it is running at xmp 3600.

I suppose if i were to pay attention to fps i could notice the increase, however i mostly play easy to run games, such as valorant, sea of thieves, sims. so i guess that's why i never really felt a huge gain in fps, since it was already in the 100+fps to begin with

There is no such thing as a bad PC, there are only BETTER PCs

2 hours ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Ryzen 5000 and Ryzen 3000 have the same memory controller, and it's a pretty darn good one at that. Memory hasn't been iffy since Zen+, so it should be more than able to handle that. 

A bit more than the memory controller, the infinity fabric also has to be taken account for. While max speeds they both support are more or less the same, it’s more likely to work or be less glitchy on the newer chip.

1 hour ago, Zenedge said:

i got some tridentz, and yes it is running at xmp 3600.

I suppose if i were to pay attention to fps i could notice the increase, however i mostly play easy to run games, such as valorant, sea of thieves, sims. so i guess that's why i never really felt a huge gain in fps, since it was already in the 100+fps to begin with

Would maybe be more noticable in some competitive titles like that with 4K 144hz.

• 1 month later...
On 1/30/2021 at 12:29 AM, Mr - Fahrenheit said:

I have a Ryzen 7 3700X and an RTX 3070. I currently have 32GB of DDR4- 3200. Would upgrading to a higher speed make any difference to performance FPS wise? 

there will be a difference, but it wont be huge. Its up to you whether u want to upgrade

my signiture was cool, but its a lie now

On 3/9/2021 at 1:01 PM, King of Memes said:

there will be a difference, but it wont be huge. Its up to you whether u want to upgrade

Resurrecting isn't a benefit here fam

Keep it to the vidya gamz.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

18 hours ago, dizmo said:

Resurrecting isn't a benefit here fam

Keep it to the vidya gamz.

sry

my signiture was cool, but its a lie now

• 1 month later...
On 1/29/2021 at 9:29 PM, Mr - Fahrenheit said:

Definitely Not. The latency of the 3600Mhz RAM your looking at is most likely CL18 compared to the CL16 latency of the 3200MHz RAM. Basically, its not even faster because the latency of "faster" RAM slows info transfers down. You would only notice very small differences upgrading to 4,000MHz RAM with CL18 which is a lot more expensive and not worth it

No not at all, if you where buying a new system and the difference was only 10$ in price i would suggest to go with the 3600mhz memory, but to upgrade a existing system this is almost nothing if it comes to preformance

╔═════════════╦═══════════════════════════════════════════╗
║__________________║ hardware_____________________________________________________ ║
╠═════════════╬═══════════════════════════════════════════╣
║ cpu ______________║ ryzen 9 5900x_________________________________________________ ║
║ GPU______________║ ASUS strix LC RX6800xt______________________________________ _║
║ motherboard_______ ║ asus crosshair formulla VIII______________________________________║
║ memory___________║ CMW32GX4M2Z3600C18 ______________________________________║
║ SSD______________║ Samsung 980 PRO 1TB_________________________________________ ║
║ PSU______________║ Corsair RM850x 850W _______________________ __________________║
║ CPU cooler _______ ║ Be Quiet be quiet! PURE LOOP 360mm ____________________________║
║ Case_____________ ║ Thermaltake Core X71 __________________________________________║
║ HDD_____________ ║ 2TB and 6TB HDD ____________________________________________║
║ Front IO__________   ║ LG blu-ray drive & 3.5" card reader, [trough a 5.25 to 3.5 bay]__________║
║ OS_______________ ║ Windows 10 PRO______________________________________________║
╚═════════════╩═══════════════════════════════════════════╝