Router

Shaun Rust

Best bag for the buck 

I'm looking to upgrade my Internet but after watching the upgrade series with Colin's house I don't want to use the router they provide you what are the things I need to know to get the right router

Well your ability to use or not use the ISP provided device completely depends on the unit they provide and the service you get. Knowing which ISP will also allow us to suggest an appropriate device for you.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

ok I'm pretty sure that I'm going to go with Xfinity not sure the plan yet but up to 25 mbps for just me mite work but the next is 400 so not much in between 

I did run cat 6 cable through the house with cat 6 ends but it is just the stuff from home Depot that you do yourself  so not the highest quality 

O ya it is antenna cable in? same stuff as hook up the the tv screw on type? coming in to the house 

1 hour ago, Shaun Rust said:

Best bag for the buck 

I'm looking to upgrade my Internet but after watching the upgrade series with Colin's house I don't want to use the router they provide you what are the things I need to know to get the right router

Does not get any better than this:

https://www.pfsense.org/

50 minutes ago, Shaun Rust said:

O ya it is antenna cable in? same stuff as hook up the the tv screw on type? coming in to the house 

There are two paths/options you can choose for easy of use:

Option 1:

You'll need a Docsis 3.0 modem, the netgear CM700 or Arris SB6183 are both good choices. Do NOT get the SB6190, it's got bugs that cause all sorts of issues.

You also need a router and then it depends on two factors, do you need advanced features and do you want to pay for a separate AP (or multiple), and how much space do you need to cover?

You can go with a nice router with good wireless coverage for around $75 to $100 or so from Asus, TP Link, or Netgear or a mesh unit if you need wider coverage for wireless but those also add cost. Asus and a couple other makers who I'm blanking on right now offer the option to buy one unit and expand later as needed reducing the upfront cost.

Option 2:

Something like this is an all-in-one unit with the modem, router, everything built in. They aren't always the greatest but if you want simple you'll get simple and compact:

https://www.netgear.com/home/wifi/modem-routers/c7000

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

3 hours ago, Shaun Rust said:

ok I'm pretty sure that I'm going to go with Xfinity not sure the plan yet but up to 25 mbps for just me mite work but the next is 400 so not much in between 

I did run cat 6 cable through the house with cat 6 ends but it is just the stuff from home Depot that you do yourself  so not the highest quality 

https://www.xfinity.com/support/devices/#unauth

Put in the info it needs and they will list you what modems you can buy that will be compatible. Xfinity is very good at supporting customer owned modems. As far as a router is concerned the will depend on how you plan on using your network. 

Beware of the Data caps they have. You get 1.2TB of data each month. Its $10 for every 50 Gigs you go over. They do provide 1 month of going over free of charge. After that you pay overages. Unlimited plan starts at $25/m but you have to rent their equipment, its $30/m if you choose to use your own modem.  

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

• 2 months later...

Hey guys. I plan to go away from rental xfinity router and thinking of purchasing NETGEAR Nighthawk Smart Wi-Fi Router, R6700 - AC1750 and thinking to pair it with NETGEAR Nighthawk Cable Modem CM1200.

My question isn't it overkill one over another? Or should I look for something different?

1 minute ago, Konstantin tech said:

My question isn't it overkill one over another? Or should I look for something different?

Modem wise it depends. You want Docsis 3.1 even at lower speed tiers, its just a better standard. HOWEVER, Comcast moved its Gigabit tier in many areas to 1.2 Gbps. In order to get those speeds you either need a modem with a multi Gig port OR you need one that supports link aggregation as well as a router that supports that as well. 

If you dont mind being stuck at only Gigabit speeds or your on a lower tier of service then that modem will work fine. I belevie that modem supports Link Aggregation but the trick is to find a router that supports it. 

4 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Modem wise it depends. You want Docsis 3.1 even at lower speed tiers, its just a better standard. HOWEVER, Comcast moved its Gigabit tier in many areas to 1.2 Gbps. In order to get those speeds you either need a modem with a multi Gig port OR you need one that supports link aggregation as well as a router that supports that as well. 

If you dont mind being stuck at only Gigabit speeds or your on a lower tier of service then that modem will work fine. I belevie that modem supports Link Aggregation but the trick is to find a router that supports it. 

Well, as I said at the moment I'm renting from Comcast and I'm on just 100mbps (but plan to upgrade)

Could someone recommend good combination router and modem? 

2 minutes ago, Konstantin tech said:

Well, as I said at the moment I'm renting from Comcast and I'm on just 100mbps (but plan to upgrade)

Wow, interesting. Joined in 2018 but first time poster! There are routers that are a modem and router all in one, like the rental.

As Someone with the username “</TheCoder2019_”, my coding skills are atrocious.

Here are my specs:

Spoiler

MSI PRO-VLH H310M

Intel Core i3-8100 (Thanks, @Schnoz!)

GTX 1060 OC 3GB or Intel UHD 630

16GB (2x8) Cosair Vengeance LPX CL16 - 2400MHz

GAMDIAS Argus M1

An old friend of mine - Intel stock cooler (temps through the roof like 60 C under load)

Linux Apps you NEED!

Spoiler

tmux

dhcpd

git

Hi! I love RGB! Who doesn't? Karens that don't have colorful lights on their Facebook page

20 minutes ago, TheCoder2019 said:

Wow, interesting. Joined in 2018 but first time poster! There are routers that are a modem and router all in one, like the rental.

Thanks captain obvious. the reason its my first posts is im not a forum fan.... I like videos more....

I know about gateways (router+modem) like the rental but I wanna upgrade and move to my own router and modem. But I fall behind with latest standards....

Just now, Konstantin tech said:

Thanks captain obvious. the reason its my first posts is im not a forum fan.... I like videos more....

I know about gateways (router+modem) like the rental but I wanna upgrade and move to my own router and modem. But I fall behind with latest standards....

I'll see what I can find for you tomorrow then

As Someone with the username “</TheCoder2019_”, my coding skills are atrocious.

Here are my specs:

Spoiler

MSI PRO-VLH H310M

Intel Core i3-8100 (Thanks, @Schnoz!)

GTX 1060 OC 3GB or Intel UHD 630

16GB (2x8) Cosair Vengeance LPX CL16 - 2400MHz

GAMDIAS Argus M1

An old friend of mine - Intel stock cooler (temps through the roof like 60 C under load)

Linux Apps you NEED!

Spoiler

tmux

dhcpd

git

Hi! I love RGB! Who doesn't? Karens that don't have colorful lights on their Facebook page

6 hours ago, Konstantin tech said:

Combos suck. So I really can't recommend any. 

7 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Combos suck. So I really can't recommend any. 

I know. But I meant good modem AND router

51 minutes ago, Konstantin tech said:

I know. But I meant good modem AND router

Modem wise Cm500, CM600, SB6183. Any Docsis 3.1 modem should be good. BUT if you want to get the advertised 1.2 Gbps you need one with a 2.5 Gbps Ethernet port and a router that also had a 2.5 Gbps Ethernet WAN port. You can use a modem and router that supports link aggregation. But those are few and far between, at least on the router side. 

For 100 Mbps service you have anything should work. I’d stay way from 4x4 and 8x4 modems however, because word on the street is Comcast has been eyeing to cut support for them for some time. 

Router wise I can personally recommend the Synology RT 2609AC. But it’s a WiFi 5 router nad I think it’s still $200. So I’m sure someone can recommend something cheaper. I only recommend that router because I have it and it works well. 

15 hours ago, Konstantin tech said:

If your plan is to upgrade to a multi-gig tier and you want 1 device as your router/AP, check out this article. Most of those recommendations have at least one 2.5Gbps port for LAN/WAN/both, but you can expect those with more to come with a cost to match.

thank you everyone who assisted. I decided to go with Netgear cm1000 and pair it with tp=link deco s4. Also I'm upgrading my switch so should be nice and smooth)